How do you rate Travis Green’s first year?

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
So, 71 down, 11 to go.

What’s your opinion on Green’s first year behind the bench?
Are you happy with the work he has done or you had higher expectations in terms of results and player’s development?

I’m curious to hear your opinion.

Last edited:

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
He gets the purple participation ribbon. He tried but the results are not there.

I do not have confidence in Baumgartner. The defense has taken a step back this year. Would like to see a more veteran assistant there.

I really like Travis as a person and want to see him succeed for what it’s worth. Willing to give him a mulligan this year as the lineup is putrid and it’s his first year. Without noticeable improvement next year I won’t be so willing to look the other way.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Upgrade on Willie, but having no coach at all would be an upgrade on Willie.

In fairness, I think he's done some things well. Defensively we are a train wreck, but prior to Boeser's injury we were more offensively threatening than the past few years. He's also had a stupid amount of injuries to vital players to contend with, while also having to shoe horn some of our garbage acquisitions like Gagner into the lineup.

I think Green has the makings of a solid coach. Hopefully there's nowhere to go but up from here.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I like that he goes in with lines... willing to adjust and try 2-3 variations in-game.

I like the in-game feel he has on players and whose going.

Liked his early season strategy on twins. Liked his staff's change up in-season giving us a great run of having top tier PP again.

I know he speaks in the tone he does cuz he's being so measured and careful about the words he's using and message he's conveying... but drives me up the wall.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Between injuries and a lot of deadweight, its hard to judge. When we have a healthy line up we seem to be competitive, but we need a lot of new blood in the next 2 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Between injuries and a lot of deadweight, its hard to judge. When we have a healthy line up we seem to be competitive, but we need a lot of new blood in the next 2 years.

I liked his usage of the twins with a healthy lineup. Their ice time goes up and down based on how he uses the Sutter and Horvat line. Matches up Sutter if the opposition has a high end #1 line, thus takes ice time away from the twins.

That said, he has to be willing to insert young players into the lineup and play them since that is what the team needs to do in the next 1-3 years.

Defensively, the coaching staff needs work or more experienced people at the NHL level. Not good enough.

Goaltending has been up and down this season.

Be interested to see what changes to the vets the team makes in the offseason after Green gets the opportunity to go through with management what he thought of each player and how he plans on using them next season and whether management can jettison the dead weight.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'd give him a D at best, maybe a D-.

He's an upgrade on Willie but that's not saying much. Defense has been a mess, but more importantly the handling of most of our younger players has been god-awful. I'm sure there's pressure from management to win games, and Green clearly trusts veterans more than young players, but it's still inexcusable for a team in our position.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Upgrade on Willie, but having no coach at all would be an upgrade on Willie.

In fairness, I think he's done some things well. Defensively we are a train wreck, but prior to Boeser's injury we were more offensively threatening than the past few years. He's also had a stupid amount of injuries to vital players to contend with, while also having to shoe horn some of our garbage acquisitions like Gagner into the lineup.

I think Green has the makings of a solid coach. Hopefully there's nowhere to go but up from here.

I was going to post this before you did.

It has been pretty much so-so in my opinion. He really doesn't have much to work with and did ok with it for a while. At least he isn't doing a bunch of obvious stupid things coaches are supposed to know nowadays rack up losses.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
He gets an incomplete this year. Like how he handled the twins early on, but injuries and an AHL defense didnt help him

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

He's an upgrade on Willie but that's not saying much. Defense has been a mess, but more importantly the handling of most of our younger players has been god-awful. I'm sure there's pressure from management to win games, and Green clearly trusts veterans more than young players, but it's still inexcusable for a team in our position.
How is he "an upgrade on Willie"? We have 59 points in 71 games....last year we had 69 points in 82 games. Are we good for 10 points in our remaining 11 games? Hard to say but we might need to score some goals....which seems to be a bit difficult now...but hey, we have a lot of "foundational" pieces! Travis has also benefitted from Boeser's 29 goals, something Willie was not fortunate enough to have. Sure, there have been injuries, as there were last year and as there is for every team, every year. Bottom line is, we do not have enough skill and neither Willie nor Travis is responsible for that......but I am hard pressed to agree that Travis is a definite upgrade on Willie....the results speak for themselves!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was hired to bring along the younger players, and he's had some success with Boeser, Virtanen and Horvat.....as for Hutton and Stecher, not so much.....but then's Green's coaching style involves activating the d-corps, and this group isn't capable of 'activating' or 'scoring'.

Year was basically derailed by 'average' to sub-par goaltending and debilitating injuries, so he gets a pass imo....and I'm sure there are still some 'pillowy-soft' players on this team that he inherited and who drive him nuts....but what are you going to do?....most of them still have term on their contracts.

Green's mettle will be proven next year when the Canucks are hopefully even younger....but this dumpster-fire of a season really belongs to Linden-Benning, not the coaching staff.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Out goaltending sucks worse than last season. That's a big difference.

Is it though? Miller last year posted ever so slightly better numbers than Markstrom this year, but hardly different. Both with in .03%

I think Willie at the olympics showed something. He is a decent coach that doesn't understand game adjustments (thus in game line matching). This is a major flaw. While Green clearly does get that, has he actually been any better? He definitely does do some things better no denying that, but are any of them tangible enough to say he is the better coach?

I don't know if he is better than Willie at this point, and for that reason he gets a D. What both Willie and Green have going for them is the sure had to try and coach some terrible teams, and I feel sorry for both in that side.

Reactions: Pavel96

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It's honestly hard to really assess him based on the crap roster he was handed and all the injuries, but I find myself noticing fewer inexplicable and boneheaded coaching decisions than I did when WD was around. Green seems to understand line matching and zone deployment, not that it's made much difference to the team's record.

Reactions: travis scott

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

I'd give him D too. Start with a top pairing powerplay qb and add what Gudbranson was supposed to be. Together with Edler and Tanev and the rest fighting it out to fill the bottom pairing, he'd actually have an NHL D.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
How is he "an upgrade on Willie"? We have 59 points in 71 games....last year we had 69 points in 82 games. Are we good for 10 points in our remaining 11 games? Hard to say but we might need to score some goals....which seems to be a bit difficult now...but hey, we have a lot of "foundational" pieces! Travis has also benefitted from Boeser's 29 goals, something Willie was not fortunate enough to have. Sure, there have been injuries, as there were last year and as there is for every team, every year. Bottom line is, we do not have enough skill and neither Willie nor Travis is responsible for that......but I am hard pressed to agree that Travis is a definite upgrade on Willie....the results speak for themselves!

QUIET! You are ruining the two minute Willie hate! EVERYTHING is Willie's fault. Geez get it straight...

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
He's not the right coach for a rebuilding team.

If his roster & deployment decision is heavily influenced by Jimbo and Linden (Gagner, Gudbranson, more Jimbo trash), he might have the potential to be a decent coach. Otherwise, no, he's not the right coach for any team.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
He's not the right coach for a rebuilding team.

If his roster & deployment decision is heavily influenced by Jimbo and Linden (Gagner, Gudbranson, more Jimbo trash), he might have the potential to be a decent coach. Otherwise, no, he's not the right coach for any team.
First, this not a "rebuilding" team....its some kind trainwreck that no one could succeed with.
I'm willing to give Green a chance with a true "rebuild" but that's not gonna happen till Lindenning is gone and he will likely get sucked under as well.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
The Canucks should hire as head coach Peter Forsberg to lead our Swede’s here in Vancouver.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I think he is a little overthetop chasing line matches but not an easy position to be in. I'll give him a pass.

Management needs to find another centre that can play defense and take a defensive zone draw.

member 290103

It's an epic failure. The team is competing for last place in the league. How could anyone suggest otherwise?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I think he is a little overthetop chasing line matches but not an easy position to be in. I'll give him a pass.

Management needs to find another centre that can play defense and take a defensive zone draw.
Yep that's all we need to compete for 29th place.

Reactions: NoShowWilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad