How do you pronounce Van Reimsdyk

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Since you've had some recent contact with him, what's your take on his prospects for the draft? Definate top ten selection or higher? I know you have him at three, do you think that will stick?
Well, unless he crashes and burns at the world under-18s, he's a lock to go in the top 10. He is playing very well for the NTDP under-18 squad this season -- even against older NCAA players -- from what i've been told by our chief scout.

HupHollandHup

Feb 21, 2007
It's undoable to pronounce all non-English names properly. It is also impossible to write the name down as they should be pronounced. The Dutch r, y(ij, a Dutch y has dots, i and j is simply a combination of letters that make the dots possible) and several other letters are pronounced significantly different. Also the 'van' part is not always a capital V or not. This depends on the situation (e.g with first name or without). The names are Americanised, and that's fine.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
His coach was quoted as saying that his nickname is "Reemer," so you can be sure that the same sound is in the full name. If you have trouble remembering the correct pronunciation, just remember that nickname.

JPFT

Los Angeles Kings
Feb 16, 2007
something like:

van Rymsdyk, i know exact how you pronounce it, but it's a bit hard to typ how you say it....i assume it's a Dutch name? it sounds very dutch....

freekjo

Jan 5, 2006
Tilburg, Netherlands
But he's American, not Dutch, and pronounces his name van-REEMS-dyke.

I'm not sure, but I think I'll take his word for how to pronounce his own name.

Well he's American, but he's got a Dutch name. He uses the Dutch pronunciation as well, if it sounds like Van Reemsdyke. Only the a is Van would be different in dutch. More like the a in 'barn'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad