How do you fix the Wings?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His stats were inflated by high SH% this season, he'll be a 30 -35 pt player on the Wings. No thanks.

Kyle Connor is the player you are looking for.
Guy who has had 4 seasons with 60 or more points and scores at a 55 or pace over his career is gonna be a 30 point player in Detroit?

Where do people come up with this shit?

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
His stats were inflated by high SH% this season, he'll be a 30 -35 pt player on the Wings. No thanks.

Kyle Connor is the player you are looking for.
I didn't see his shooting percentage. 30 point player is hyperbole but he's probably due for some regression. Maybe he's not the play at the price he's gonna demand.
Free agency is always a tricky game though. I'm starting to wonder if we should just get a goalie and a Dman and then inject youth at forward. Anyone that has no risk to regress is going to cost a fortune.
All this is simpler if we can re-sign Kane.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Guy who has had 4 seasons with 60 or more points and scores at a 55 or pace over his career is gonna be a 30 point player in Detroit?

Where do people come up with this shit?
Are you expecting him to go back to playing center which he hasn't done since Chicago? How many points is he gonna score with Compher or Copp as center?

He only had 37 points last season and while he had 53 pts this season, his SH% was 17.6% or double last season.

So maybe not 30, but 30's for sure. Only one line scores on this team, and it's Larkin's line which he won't be on. Stop using hockeydb for your stats and look deeper bud.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you expecting him to go back to playing center which he hasn't done since Chicago? How many points is he gonna score with Compher or Copp as center?

He only had 37 points last season and while he had 53 pts this season, his SH% was 17.6% or double last season.

So maybe not 30, but 30's for sure. Only one line scores on this team, and it's Larkin's line which he won't be on. Stop using hockeydb for your stats and look deeper bud.
I’ve seen Teravainen play a good amount. His assist per game production is equal to over 30 per 82 for his career. Not even factoring in goals at all. He’s a good playmaker and always has been.

If we signed him at 29/30 years old to replace Kane and he got to play on a power play with Raymond and/or DeBrincat I have no doubt he would put up at least 50 points. Unless he gets hurt.

To suggest he would only put up 30-35 pts is downright silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm leaning towards not trying to fix the defense by trading/signing a vet. Trade Maata and let Ghost walk, and have Johansson and Edvinsson up. Johansson does not need to simmer in grand rapids anymore.

It could lead to the team taking a step back this year, but at the end of the day the rookies need to get their rookie seasons out of the way. If the season fails miserably we get a chance at the lottery, and doesn't seem too bad judging by the player available next year.

Same goes with forwards.

We have a long window with Raymond and Seider luckily.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The Wings need to start transitioning from some of these older plugs that Yzerman brought in, to our own prospects over the next two years. We may see some regression in the standings as these younger players continue their development, but we can not spend stupid money on late career UFAs. We will quickly create a cap nightmare that restricts the ability to keep our own RFAs or be able to sign an impact UFA down the road when it matters. Yzerman has drafted a pretty good stable of prospects, they just will not be ready for another two to three years to make an impact.

The goal can't be just to make the playoffs, but to make a run. Sure it would have been fun to make the playoffs this year, but just like Washington, it would have been short lived.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Would you sign Tyler Bertuzzi back? 3 years, 4.5 per?
No. He couldn't stay healthy when he was here, and I didn't see any consistency from him after he left.

Tyler probably should have stayed in Boston, but if I was in his shoes now, I'd look for a similar situation (contender looking for a depth forward with some grit). Maybe Dallas?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
He'll get the same contract as Sprong did this year, 1 year $2M deal with a bubble team or worse. No playoff team will want him, but he can help a team get to the playoffs. Mantha's stats are the same as Sprong's, they both get scratched every season for lack of effort. Both can score even when playing on lower lines, and both players are useful on PP2.

The funny thing about the situation is that Blash got criticized a lot for not being able to motivate players, and Mantha did better under Blash than any other coach. I doubt Fester can motivate him.
Yeah I was half tongue in cheek, but at Sprong money it would be a good deal, and we know he can do well with Larkin if needed.

(yes i know it will never happen and Steve couldn't wait to ship out his lack of effort, but I do love a redemption story!)

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Would you sign Tyler Bertuzzi back? 3 years, 4.5 per?
Has he even done enough to merit 4.5 on his next deal? Certainly a better option to bring back than Mantha, but unless we are moving out some dead weight, we are probably better saving our $$ for a higher level guy. That said, his chemistry with Larkin is undeniable, and we do need more of that grease up front. If we can move any of Holl, Husso, Copp, Maata or Chiarot without giving up too much, it would def be worth a look. That said, we don't know what his relationship with SY would be

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
TLJ.jpg

(Sorry - allergies had me a bit under the weather yesterday.)
Someone said the M word.

tumblr_ornuq7weF61rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Has he even done enough to merit 4.5 on his next deal? Certainly a better option to bring back than Mantha, but unless we are moving out some dead weight, we are probably better saving our $$ for a higher level guy. That said, his chemistry with Larkin is undeniable, and we do need more of that grease up front. If we can move any of Holl, Husso, Copp, Maata or Chiarot without giving up too much, it would def be worth a look. That said, we don't know what his relationship with SY would be
I'd say he's safely better than Robby Fabbri who's signed for 4 million and more injury concerns.

Reactions: lomekian

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I could see us focusing on stabilizing the D and Goalies, and on Forward doing something like:
Rasmussen - Larkin - Raymond
DeBrincat - Danielson - Compher
Berggren - Copp - Perron
Fabbri - Veleno - Fischer
It's contingent on Danielson taking a spot in camp which I believe he can do, but if he can be a top 6 center right away that's a huge boon for us. Rasmussen isn't ideal in the top 6 but when he's on he can be a good grinder to do the dirty work for Larkin and Raymond. Could be a really hard working line.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I could see us focusing on stabilizing the D and Goalies, and on Forward doing something like:
Berggren - Copp - Perron
It's contingent on Danielson taking a spot in camp which I believe he can do, but if he can be a top 6 center right away that's a huge boon for us. Rasmussen isn't ideal in the top 6 but when he's on he can be a good grinder to do the dirty work for Larkin and Raymond. Could be a really hard working line.

Do not separate DeBrincat and Larkin. Otherwise I mostly agree.

If the team can focus on improving the defensemen I’m ok with the rest of that forward group, though I’d move on from Veleno and Fabbri if possible. Inject youth like Berggren, Danielson and maybe Kasper or Mazur.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Berggren - Copp - Perron
That third line made me barf

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
That third line made me barf
How so? Young guy who consistently produces half a point per game, solid defensive center, and a veteran in a reduced role who's smart and good on the boards.

Do not separate DeBrincat and Larkin. Otherwise I mostly agree.

If the team can focus on improving the defensemen I’m ok with the rest of that forward group, though I’d move on from Veleno and Fabbri if possible. Inject youth like Berggren, Danielson and maybe Kasper or Mazur.
I moved him to balance the scoring a bit but I could see them wanting to keep him with Larkin and Raymond. Maybe move Raymond down? But him and Larkin are also dynamite together.
Mazur - Kasper - Fischer 4th line would go hard but idk if they want 3.5 (Berggren the half) rookies at the same time. I could see them picking whoever between Mazur and Kasper has the best camp.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This team needs to add someone to the top 6. We saw the impact Kane had on the offence. Whether it’s him or someone else we need another legitimate offensive contributor. The UFA market is a mixed bag and the guys who can add offensive punch (Guentzle, Lindholm, TT Stamkos Kane etc) would probably require overpaying for too long.

Trading may be the best bet and for me Buchnevich seems like a great target.

Debrincat Larkin Ray
Buchnevich Compher Berggren

That top 6 has a little bit of everything. Obviously line 1 speaks for its self. Compher and Buchnevich are both responsible players that can play a hard game which could help complement Berggren’s game. Rasmussen, Copp or Perron could be alternate options if Berggren can’t cut it in Lalonde’s top 6. Maybe someone like Danielson or Kasper play their way into the role if we lean youth.

There is a pretty big hole the top 6 imo so im pretty open minded to some other options as well.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
If the Canes don't sign Jake Guentzel, Yzerman should go hard to get him.
God no. Isn't he 30? Not giving him 9-10 till hes 37 ... that being said where we getting this money???

We have to resign raymond and seider. Any big name signing we do would likely mean trading debrincat which I personally wouldnt object to

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah I was half tongue in cheek, but at Sprong money it would be a good deal, and we know he can do well with Larkin if needed.

(yes i know it will never happen and Steve couldn't wait to ship out his lack of effort, but I do love a redemption story!)

I know bud, I bring him up every now and then as a joke. I was one of the first people here to sour on him though.

I was just addressing his market value for the rest of the league. $2M/1yr give or take $500k. Every GM knows his reputation now after getting healthy scratched in the playoffs by Vegas. Obviously Vegas was hoping he'd have some contract expiration motivation, if playoffs and money are no longer motivating factors, then there's really no way to motivate him.

It's such a shame, so much talent, skill, and physical ability, but no heart or motivation. He could've been the best power forward on the team since Shanny, instead he's probably done after this next contract.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wouldn't it be better to have Compher at 3C and Copp at 4C? I'd think that both those players could do well in those respective roles.
I think bringing Nate in with a guy like Compher on his wing would be a solid idea. Agree with the poster above in the possibility of bringing in a true top 6 option to go with them
Cat-Larkin-Raymond
X-Danielson-Compher

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad