How Do Flyers Lineup Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Cousins is more polished offensively, but not as big or fast as Laughton. He's worked hard to improve, but remember at the same age he was struggling in the AHL when Laughton was playing in the NHL (hard to judge Laughton last year given the lines he had and then the concussion). Cousins has worked hard to improve his skating, but his problem will be similar to Akeson (though he's more talented), he's really not suited to a checking line so it makes it hard to find a role for him in the NHL.

As we keep adding more depth at F, we might be able to do a quality for quantity type deal at some point.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I like the idea of cousins on wing and porter over VandeVelde. Lecavalier shouldn't be playing, but probably will. Cousins/Laughton/Gostisbehere will be pushing there way on the roster once the usual bums start playing like bums.

Raffl--Giroux--Voracek
Read--Couturier--Simmonds
Gagner--(Laughton/Lecavalier/Cousins)--Schenn
White--Bellemare--(Porter/CVV/Umberger)

If I were GM id be packaging the Schenn's for a 1st and prospect. Or try and dump some salary along with it.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
@billmeltzer 11m11 minutes ago
FWDS; Raffl-Giroux-Voracek, Umberger-Couturier-Simmonds, Gagner-Lecavalier-Read,CVV-White-Bellemare. Xtras: C McDonald, Cousins.

Defense: Streit-Schultz, MDZ-Medvedev- MacD-Gudas, Manning-Schenn, Hägg-Gostisbehere. Drewiske not at practice.

I don't want Umberger on a line with Couturier.

DogwoodFLY

Jul 13, 2009
Is it just me or does the FO seem downright pissed with B.Schenn? I feel like they are borderline hinting at trading him. I don't know how to feel about it. I still have hope for him, but I mean at some point he has to step up and make some plays. Dude just seems to constantly find was to not make plays.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
FWDS; Raffl-Giroux-Voracek, Umberger-Couturier-Simmonds, Gagner-Lecavalier-Read,CVV-White-Bellemare. Xtras: C McDonald, Cousins.

Defense: Streit-Schultz, MDZ-Medvedev- MacD-Gudas, Manning-Schenn, Hägg-Gostisbehere. Drewiske not at practice.
Crap, that looks terrible :laugh:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

We already know that from last year, first line is set but the rest is an utter mess.

Will be interesting to see where they settle after the next round of cuts. At some point next week they will have to put together what they consider the season opening lineup. :popcorn:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Given the assessments of B.Schenn and Gagner, at this point I am fine with:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek

- Great. No worries.

XXXX-Couturier-Simmonds

- If Gagner is there, he and Simmonds showed some chemistry, but there are concerns defensively. Is Couturier going to fall into his defensive mindset to cover for Gagner/Simmonds gaffes?
- Candidates: Gagner, Umberger, Read

XXXX-Laughton-XXXX

- Hextall and Hakstol both have commented on how pleased they are with Laughton. Issue is who does he play with? B.Schenn has been criticized and is inconsistent. Gagner has been inconsistent throughout his career. Read was demoted in practice to play with Vinny, so I imagine he hasn't bounced back the way Umberger seems to have.
- Candidates - Left: Gagner, Umberger, Read, Right: B.Schenn, Read, Umberger.

XXXX-Bellemare-White

- Probably the leftover from the 4 players seeking the 3 spots above or VV or Porter. I am not sure I could see Gagner on that line or B.Schenn.

Press Box for 82: Vinny

My best guess is Gagner will help PP2 considerably and I think he is likely to be in the top 9. Do they really want Gagner-Laughton-B.Schenn as a line given both wingers previous inconsistency? I doubt it. I think B.Schenn ends up on Laughton's right wing and either Read or Umberger are on the left. That leaves Gagner with Couturier and Simmonds and either Read or Umberger on the fourth line (baring a trade).

If there is a trade, I think it is difficult to trade B.Schenn unless some secondary scoring is coming back the other way. If they are happy with Umberger, maybe Read gets traded? But then next season they may have secondary scoring issues again with at least Gagner gone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Read was "demoted" to play with Vinnie, rather, Hakstol wants combinations that will allow him to evaluate different players fairly. He knows which players have the roster made, his problem is he only has four games to decide on the players who'll be on the third line.

Porter and McDonald I think are the first callups with Cousins, and that's why they're playing, to get comfortable with the new schemes and their new teammates if they have to come up.

I wonder if they've installed the same system in Allentown?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Few B.Schenn quotes:

“You want to be playing with— nothing against the guys I’m playing with, absolutely not,” said Schenn, whose usual linemates in camp have been Scott Laughton and Chris Porter. “They’ve played awesome, but at the same time I want to be seen as a key piece of the team moving forward and I guess we’ll see what it comes down to, what it boils down to. Like I said, you go out there and you work hard, be a good teammate and control what you can control. You can’t do more than that.”

“At this point, I just want to play where the opportunity is at, whether it’s left, center or right,” he said. “At the end of the day, it’s not about where you feel most comfortable, it’s where the opportunity is presenting itself. For me, wherever that may be, I’ll be happy to play.”

“One-hundred percent, I understand,” Schenn said. “I see everything. It’s part of the business. Those are the things you can’t control. That’s why you have people working for you and you never know what Hexy or the next guy’s thinking. For me, I don’t even try to worry about that. I go out there and just try to play hockey. Obviously I hope it’s with the Flyers. I love it here — great team, great city, great guys. Hopefully it is here, but, at the same time, you just try not to worry about that.”

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ng-stay-and-have-opportunity-flyers/72798320/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I still feel that playing RW with Laughton in camp and in preseason games is preferable to playing RW with Lecavalier. One of those players has a future at center with the Flyers, and it ain't Vinny.

It's nice to see the rest of the "OK" quote that was all over twitter yesterday:

“Brayden, I think Brayden’s been OK,” Hextall said Thursday. “It’s training camp. It’s early. I didn’t really see the game up in Brooklyn there, but I think we kinda know where Brayden is and what he is and that he prefers to play the right side so we’ll see where it goes.”

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Few B.Schenn quotes:

“You want to be playing with— nothing against the guys I’m playing with, absolutely not,†said Schenn, whose usual linemates in camp have been Scott Laughton and Chris Porter. “They’ve played awesome, but at the same time I want to be seen as a key piece of the team moving forward and I guess we’ll see what it comes down to, what it boils down to. Like I said, you go out there and you work hard, be a good teammate and control what you can control. You can’t do more than that.â€

“At this point, I just want to play where the opportunity is at, whether it’s left, center or right,†he said. “At the end of the day, it’s not about where you feel most comfortable, it’s where the opportunity is presenting itself. For me, wherever that may be, I’ll be happy to play.â€

“One-hundred percent, I understand,†Schenn said. “I see everything. It’s part of the business. Those are the things you can’t control. That’s why you have people working for you and you never know what Hexy or the next guy’s thinking. For me, I don’t even try to worry about that. I go out there and just try to play hockey. Obviously I hope it’s with the Flyers. I love it here — great team, great city, great guys. Hopefully it is here, but, at the same time, you just try not to worry about that.â€

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ng-stay-and-have-opportunity-flyers/72798320/

With Luke Schenn gone by next summer, I am like 90% sure that Brayden Schenn is traded shortly before Michael Raffl is extended. Travis Konecny will then replace Brayden Schenn in the lineup before the pucks drops on the 2016-2017 season. Count it.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Few B.Schenn quotes:

“You want to be playing with— nothing against the guys I’m playing with, absolutely not,†said Schenn, whose usual linemates in camp have been Scott Laughton and Chris Porter. “They’ve played awesome, but at the same time I want to be seen as a key piece of the team moving forward and I guess we’ll see what it comes down to, what it boils down to. Like I said, you go out there and you work hard, be a good teammate and control what you can control. You can’t do more than that.â€

“At this point, I just want to play where the opportunity is at, whether it’s left, center or right,†he said. “At the end of the day, it’s not about where you feel most comfortable, it’s where the opportunity is presenting itself. For me, wherever that may be, I’ll be happy to play.â€

“One-hundred percent, I understand,†Schenn said. “I see everything. It’s part of the business. Those are the things you can’t control. That’s why you have people working for you and you never know what Hexy or the next guy’s thinking. For me, I don’t even try to worry about that. I go out there and just try to play hockey. Obviously I hope it’s with the Flyers. I love it here — great team, great city, great guys. Hopefully it is here, but, at the same time, you just try not to worry about that.â€

One could say that Schenn is getting the picture that he's not going to be around here very much longer. The rumor is that, once again, he showed up for camp in less than ready shape. Not too bright for a guy going into his RFA year. IMO, the sooner that he and his brother are dealt off the better, They're not a fit for Hakstol's style of play.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It sure does. Hopefully Hakstol is just trying to get some different looks at combinations. If thats the lineup for Game 1, I may have lost faith in Hakstol already.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
One could say that Schenn is getting the picture that he's not going to be around here very much longer. The rumor is that, once again, he showed up for camp in less than ready shape. Not too bright for a guy going into his RFA year. IMO, the sooner that he and his brother are dealt off the better, They're not a fit for Hakstol's style of play.

If that's because they're not great skaters then Couturier, Vinny, Gagner, Umberger and Gudas aren't good fits, either.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If that's because they're not great skaters then Couturier, Vinny, Gagner, Umberger and Gudas aren't good fits, either.
Couturier's skating is deceptive because of his size. He's not a lazer but he's certainly capable. What Umby can do remains to be seen post op. Wagner seems to be able to keep up with the show so far this preseason. Vinny and Gudas aren't good fits and probably will be in the press box more often than not or gone.
BTW, Chara and Seidenberg are down for the B's. Maybe they'd be a taker on the Schenn brothers in exchange for Loui Eriksson who is a UFA after this year and hasn't progressed on an extension with Boston. As others have stated, its merely a matter of time before the brothers are gone.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Couturier's skating is deceptive because of his size. He's not a lazer but he's certainly capable. What Umby can do remains to be seen post op. Wagner seems to be able to keep up with the show so far this preseason. Vinny and Gudas aren't good fits and probably will be in the press box more often than not or gone.
BTW, Chara and Seidenberg are down for the B's. Maybe they'd be a taker on the Schenn brothers in exchange for Loui Eriksson who is a UFA after this year and hasn't progressed on an extension with Boston. As others have stated, its merely a matter of time before the brothers are gone.

Have you even seen Gudas play this preseason? His only game wasn't televised.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Gudas is going to find his way into the lineup. He cracked a VERY good TB defense regularly when he was healthy. He shouldn't be chalked up as a Schenn clone...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
A Randy Miller article summarising Hakstol's post practice interview today was interesting in regards to Schenn, Laughton and Lecavalier:

Hakstol on Vinny:

We talked about giving players the opportunity to have some consistency in their role and our part of our job is to help players to be at their best and find out what that is. I think Vinny has worked very hard and his compete level has been good. He's worked very hard in camp and has done a good job up the middle and we want to continue to see that. Just like anybody else, it doesn't mean (playing center is) set in stone. That's where we're at today, and he's done a good job of it in terms of his focus level."

"Play without the puck ... a lot of it comes down to different players are going to look a little different in their play without the puck depending on the pace of the game, but it does come back to an understanding of what you're trying to accomplish. It comes down to a willingness to work at it and a willingness to compete extremely hard without the puck. So far in all of the practices and the exhibition games there's been some breakdowns and some ugly play. The willingness has been there."

Hakstol on Schenn:

"He's scored each night, but that's probably not the best way to evaluate the total performance. There's some areas that he can become more complete in and it's not an easy role playing your off-side when you're coming out of your own end and when you're getting squeezed in the neutral zone. So those are things that I think any player playing in his off wing has to grow into a little bit, and it's no different with Brayden."

Hakstol on Laughton:

"I would agree with that. (that Laughton has look hungry in camp) I think he's had a good camp right from the first day of rookie camp all the way through. I like his consistency in the way he's performed."

JayB

May 30, 2012
Raffl-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton/Lecavalier-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Gagner
Umberger-Bellemare-White
VLD

Next year:

Raffl-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Konecny

I think Simmonds&Schenn 5vs5 play is so crapp that it doesnt matter wich side they play.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I still think I'd rather see Simmonds with Laughton than with Couturier. Couturier and Schenn have chemistry and play the game at similar speeds.

SchennSational1022*

These 2 quotes by Hex and Hak on B.Schenn couldn't be taken out of context by our beats and fans (not on here, mainly twitter) any more wrongly :laugh:. Also, I have big doubt he showed up to camp out of shape. Where is that rumor coming from? Even Schenns biggest detractors will agree he has always been a hard worker in practice and such, no way did he show up out of shape.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Raffl-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton/Lecavalier-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Gagner
Umberger-Bellemare-White
VLD

Next year:

Raffl-G-Voracek
Simmonds-Laughton-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Konecny

I think Simmonds&Schenn 5vs5 play is so crapp that it doesnt matter wich side they play.

So who's better?

Simmonds was 2nd on the team in ES Goals and Schenn was tied for 4th with Giroux and Voracek. 1st was Raffl 3rd was Couturier.

Schenn was 4th in ES Points Simmonds was 5th. Behind Voracek Giroux and Couturier.

2 years ago Simmonds was 3rd in ESP and Schenn was tied for 5th with Hartnell 2 points behind Read. Schenn was 3rd in ESG and Simmonds was 5th.

3 years ago Simmonds was 3rd in ESG and Schenn was tied for 4th. They were both tied for 4th in ESP.

So since they are so "crapp" at ES how do you feel about the rest of the team? If you think the whole team is crap at ES say so don't single out arguably our 3rd and 4th best ES scorers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad