How Do Flyers Lineup Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Read will stay with Couts, they've been playing together for years, and are also paired on the PK, which allows the line rotation to stay intact. Gagner with Laughton, and Simmonds and Schenn could drift (depending on PP roles). This would make Umberger and Vinnie the odd men out, though Umberger could push VV.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gagner has scored at a 50 point pace in at least 5 of his NHL seasons.

Hence why I said I liked your lineup.

Gagner-Couts-Simmonds looked good on the cycle and Couts can help cover them defensively as well.

And then our 3rd line is a good 2-way line as well with Read-Laughton-Schenn

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I really don't want to see Gagner matched up against first line RWs like Kessel.

Gagner has scored at a 50 point pace in at least 5 of his NHL seasons.

Was he on the 1st PP unit in those seasons? Because he's not going to be in Philly. Using total point production to determine even strength line positions doesn't make much sense. All five of these guys scored at about the same rate at ES last season. The main difference is Coots and Read had really tough minutes while BSchenn and especially Gagner were heavily sheltered.

ESP last season and OZ start %

Gagner - 29 in 81 games, 65%
Couturier - 29 in 82 games, 40%
BSchenn - 28 in 82 games, 58%
Simmonds - 26 in 75 games, 53%
Read - 24 in 80 games, 42%

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I really don't want to see Gagner matched up against first line RWs like Kessel.

Was he on the 1st PP unit in those seasons? Because he's not going to be in Philly. Using total point production to determine even strength line positions doesn't make much sense. All five of these guys scored at about the same rate at ES last season. The main difference is Coots and Read had really tough minutes while BSchenn and especially Gagner were heavily sheltered.

Nor do I. If Gagner is playing with Simmonds and Couts then that would be new "scoring" line and then the 3rd line the defensive/shutdown line.

But if Read and Couts are still the shutdown guys, then no matter what, they will have either Simmonds or Schenn on the RW.

And then that leaves Gagner-Laughton-Schenn/Simmonds.

in the end, someone has to play the offensive C role with Gagner between Couts and Laughton. The fact that it was Couts and they scored an ES goal and were good on the cycle "could" mean they try that line again leaving Laughton with Schenn which they seem to like so far.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bergeron gets about 45% zone starts and that's what I expect and hope for Couturier this season. Laughton's not established enough to take over as the top defensive forward yet, and may never be. Just sharing the load will be a big help, though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Using last season as a barometer is a bit unfair for Gagner, considering how piss poor that Arizona team was. I'm guessing a lot more of his shifts were spent stuck in the defensive zone than the Flyers you listed. Just a thought. Also, he's played for some horrendous Edmonton teams too. Hell, this Flyers team he's about to play for might be the best of his career.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His ES scoring numbers have been pretty consistent over his career, and being on a bad team doesn't necessarily mean you're on a low scoring one.

Finnish Flyer

Feb 16, 2015
Raffl - G - Vora
Gagner - Coots - Simmer
Read - Vinny - Schenn
RJ - PEB - White

Streit - Schultz
MDZ - Meddy
MacD - Gudas

Mason

I'm pretty confident that this will be our opening night lineup.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
At this point I'd like it to end up as...

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Gagner-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Bellemare-White

Streit-Schultz
MDZ-Medvedev
MacDonald-Gudas

Mason
Neuvirth

Lecavalier on the moon, LSchenn to the pressbox, Manning sent back to the AHL.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Im liking what I've seen out of Cousins last year and this. Where does he fit in over the next couple years? I think he's more skilled that Laughton. I see him as a possible 2nd line center if he continues to develope where as Laughton looks like a prototypical 3rd line center. I'm just wondering how he fits in now and in the future.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Im liking what I've seen out of Cousins last year and this. Where does he fit in over the next couple years? I think he's more skilled that Laughton. I see him as a possible 2nd line center if he continues to develope where as Laughton looks like a prototypical 3rd line center. I'm just wondering how he fits in now and in the future.
Yeah, I was about to make a similar post in that I'd prefer to have Cousins rather than Laughton in the lineup. From what I've seen last year he's shown more, and he was also more noticeable in the game against the Rangers. That being said, I wouldn't mind Laughton on the fourth line.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

If he can't leap-frog Laughton, the only way to get into the lineup is as the 4th line center after Bellemare's contract ist up in a couple of years.
Even if he can beat out Laughton, an NHL roster spot is not guaranteed.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I know this will not happen, but can u imagine this line up with cousins and Laughton. Lecavalier needs to get moved

Raffl--Giroux--Voracek
Read--Couturier--Simmonds
Gagner--Laughton--Schenn
Bellemare--Cousins--White

Gar Glow

Mar 23, 2015
Flyer fans, gostisbehere fantasy keeper owner looking for your opinion.. from what i understand, shayne isnt going to start the year with the big club, but from many accounts he has a decent chance of being one of the first callups. Is this expected because of his play earning him the spot over schenn, macdonald, gudas etc THIS YEAR or is this expectation based on the inevitability of injuries?

Thanks in advance

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
@billmeltzer 11m11 minutes ago
FWDS; Raffl-Giroux-Voracek, Umberger-Couturier-Simmonds, Gagner-Lecavalier-Read,CVV-White-Bellemare. Xtras: C McDonald, Cousins.

@billmeltzer 11m11 minutes ago
Defense: Streit-Schultz, MDZ-Medvedev- MacD-Gudas, Manning-Schenn, Hägg-Gostisbehere. Drewiske not at practice.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Flyer fans, gostisbehere fantasy keeper owner looking for your opinion.. from what i understand, shayne isnt going to start the year with the big club, but from many accounts he has a decent chance of being one of the first callups. Is this expected because of his play earning him the spot over schenn, macdonald, gudas etc THIS YEAR or is this expectation based on the inevitability of injuries?

Thanks in advance

Injuries and hopefully some trades. In all reality, Ghost could use an entire season, maybe more in the AHL. But I wouldn't be shocked to see him by Christmas if he's healthy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Thanks in advance
He'll play his way out of the AHL. Too much talent. It would have happened last year if not for the injury.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost won't need a whole year in the AHL, he does need a few months of hard coaching to focus on positioning on defense and when to attack. But his offensive skills are already near elite for a NHL defenseman, he has the whole package, speed, passing and shooting. Not sure he's 100% yet as far as skating, he moved well but didn't seem as fast before the injury and bulking up 10-15 lbs.

Plus as he showed in the NCAA playoffs, he has "it", the ability to rise to the occasion. Can't be taught.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Cousins is more polished offensively, but not as big or fast as Laughton. He's worked hard to improve, but remember at the same age he was struggling in the AHL when Laughton was playing in the NHL (hard to judge Laughton last year given the lines he had and then the concussion). Cousins has worked hard to improve his skating, but his problem will be similar to Akeson (though he's more talented), he's really not suited to a checking line so it makes it hard to find a role for him in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad