How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
  • Haha
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Nope, they seldom do but too much weight is given to that.
Did Stone lead better last year than this year? Did Toews all of a sudden stop leading and kill the Blackhawks runs?
To compare him to those two players who would go through a wall to win a cup is laughable.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I'll take the change in subject as you don't have an answer.
There is no answer needed other than his playoff record and the fact that he’s regressing and will shortly be irrelevant. Look there.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
For those who want Tavares off the roster next year, what do you believe the cost is to move him, and who will you replace him with? Do you really think that makes the team better?
It’s about the cap space freed up and a change in team culture and composition. They have repeatedly failed when it counts with him as a veteran leader. How Tavares is an untouchables to some Leaf fans is beyond me.

horner

May 22, 2007
From what iam hearing JT and Marner are on the table
Mo could be on the table as well.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He’s playing for Team Canada at the Worlds.
Possibly even worse than that - Dubas has been named the AGM.

Edit: Sorry - I thought you were joking. He wasn't shown on the roster when I first looked, but after refreshing it, he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Ive got nothing against Tavares except his god awful contract. Hell, the whole "core" is overpaid. I just dont see them moving him even if they did strip the C from him.

He worked his ass off from games 4 -7.
Didnt provide offense everyone expects but neither did the whole damn team.

Grab the popcorn this will be an interesting offseason

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Detroit feels like the best fit for Tavares if he were to move. Shallow on C, meh faceoff numbers, need to get over the hump for playoffs, original 6 and not too far from here.

Im sure Wings fans would want to throw in a Husso for us to buyout, but it may not even take that

For all his warts, Tavares still had better goal and point totals than every UFA C this summer (Assuming Stammer is a W going fwd)

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
the irony is if Tavares was a UFA this season he'd still get offers of 10+ with term
this is the grass is always greener effect.
JT had an off season and still would have led a few teams in scoring.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
the irony is if Tavares was a UFA this season he'd still get offers of 10+ with term
Wouldn't be 10+ w. Term

He'd have good offers and is probably 8+ on a short term deal in the 2-3 year range. Maybe lower

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

No he wouldn’t! He’s the same age as Ryan O’Reilly who took $4.5 million to go to Nashville last year and produced the same numbers as JT. Bake in a cap raise and generic tax situation he’s probably looking at $6 million from a team looking to add something. $10 million is outrageous and impossible.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
No he wouldn’t! He’s the same age as Ryan O’Reilly who took $4.5 million to go to Nashville last year and produced the same numbers as JT. Bake in a cap raise and generic tax situation he’s probably looking at $6 million from a team looking to add something. $10 million is outrageous and impossible.
RoR is not comparable to JT and just had the 2nd best season of his career

the last 3 seasons RoR had 54, 58, and 30 point seasons (with a 24 goal high 3 years ago while his career high is only 28 goals) before signing his deal in Nashville and being deployed as a #1C, and he is really slow, even compared to JT.
The Leafs picked up RoR as a 3rd line C
JT is coming off 76, 80, and 65 point seasons JT is still a 30 goal guy, #1C on a weaker team, #2 on pretty much any team in the league.

They are not a good comparison.

Reactions: Confucius

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

the last 3 seasons RoR had 54, 58, and 30 point seasons (with a 24 goal high 3 years ago while his career high is only 28 goals) before signing his deal in Nashville and being deployed as a #1C, and he is really slow, even compared to JT.
JT is coming off 76, 80, and 65 point seasons JT is still a 30 goal guy, #1C on a weaker team, #2 on pretty much any team in the league.

No one is paying JT $10 million. A cap-contender is not carving out that money to add him as a 1C or 2C. This notion is at least 3 years out of date. ROR is a superior player to Tavares at this point in their careers.

Reactions: hamzarocks

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
No one is paying JT $10 million. A cap-contender is not carving out that money to add him as a 1C or 2C. This notion is at least 3 years out of date. ROR is a superior player to Tavares at this point in their careers.
I'll disagree there. but, you can say whatever you like.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t think Stamkos is getting 10 million so I can’t see anyone other than Pitt giving JT 10.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
ROR is a better player than Tavares right now, its pretty close though. Tavares would probably get 3 years @5 million. If Leafs re sign him, given that Tavares has been over paid for 3 or 4 years, he should only re-sign with the leafs at 3 million max, preferably, 1 million per.

Tavares cant be the captain next year, imo. The Leafs would have to retain 50% potentially in order to move him and the return would be minimal. If they retained 50%, with the remaining 5.5 million could they find an upgrade on Tavares and break even. Thats the question.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If he wants to stay, resign at 3m x 4 on July 1st. If he want's to play out the season and negotiate, take the C for someone you know will be here next season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I agree JT produce more offense than ROR but who would offer JT 10mil plus contract?

I do see that a lot of teams will pay good assets to trade for JT bc he is a 70pts player and a STAR in the league.
And the team must believe that JT will sign an extension and if he doesn't, teams will pay a premium to get JT on their team at TDL with retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad