How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Considering he had a bit of a prolonged slump, which I believe was probably attached to an injury, he hasn't had a horribly bad season. Tavares will probably finish up with 63-65 points, as it is right now he's a point up on everybody's darling Jared McCann.

Sure I'd love to see him put up another 90 point season, still possible no matter how improbable.

More concerning to me was the lack of effort, the lazy turnovers committed by our stars that I don't see McJeebuzz, MacKinnon, Crosby, Eichel, Barkov, Petterson etal committing on anything resembling a regular basis.

Yet we seemed to be more bothered by a contract signed by a UFA.
another 90pt season ? he's never had a 90 pt season

but i'm guessing your right Johnny must have been injured since Johnny never regresses or goes into a slump

or maybe he's pregnant again

or maybe he hasn't slept because um new father

or maybe his line mates are letting him down

or maybe the coach isn't using he properly

or maybe he's just having bad puck luck

or maybe he not trying to score and working on his D

i hope i haven't missed any of the excuses we invented for Johnny since the start of his 2nd yr here

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Moonman

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Where tf do you think Tavares is going and how? Even if we as a soft franchise asked him to waive, and he agreed, are we trading a 1st rounder to dump him? That's delusional. There is a 0% chance Tavares is anywhere but a Leaf next season.
After his bonus of 7m is paid on July 1st Im pretty sure there would be some takers at 4m that wouldnt include us giving up a 1st. It wont happen anyway, he isnt going anywhere.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

How many lessons do these guys need?

You would think after eight years they would've learned something by now. This must've been their millionth lesson. So hard to believe they STILL need learning lessons after all the previous times they've been schooled.

What the f*** stopped all the other ones from getting the point across?

You can maybe "learn a lesson" two or three times at most before finally getting it. If you're still drawing blanks after this many lessons then you're probably too dumb to ever figure it out. After the Tampa series a couple years back Nylander was rambling on about how they were slowly learning what it takes to win.

So I want to know, what have you learned about winning Superstar William Nylander?

Six years of losing and the team finally won a playoff series. Only to immediately embarrass themselves the very next round. So I really want to know: what have you learned about winning?

Because it doesn't look like any of them have learned a damn thing yet.

Reactions: mikeyz and Al14

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
This is a very simple transaction and much more feasible than you may think 🤔

July 1st 2024 Tavares will receive his last signing bonus and basically 99% of his total contract will be paid out in full and theoretically Tavares will only be paid roughly $775k for the entirety of 24 -25 season...

So it would clearly be in Tavares financial best interest to sign elsewhere for more than the roughly $775K and the Leafs best interest for obvious and numerous reasons... these are the perfect terms for what's known as mutual contract termination... If Treliving tells Tavares he's no longer in the teams plans after this season (ahl bound for hardball) there's no reason why Tavares would try and fight to stay

I've said this from last year and people shit talked me but we'll just have to see what the future has in store
No. 11M of cap space is a lot of value and teams know it. You can't move JT at 11M cap no matter his actual salary without giving up a 1st.

You're greatly greatly overestimating how much balls this franchise's front office has and how much they care about reputation. There is a 0% chance JT isn't here next season. 0%. It's not 0.1%, it's literally 0%.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

July 1st 2024 Tavares will receive his last signing bonus and basically 99% of his total contract will be paid out in full and theoretically Tavares will only be paid roughly $775k for the entirety of 24 -25 season...

So it would clearly be in Tavares financial best interest to sign elsewhere for more than the roughly $775K and the Leafs best interest for obvious and numerous reasons... these are the perfect terms for what's known as mutual contract termination... If Treliving tells Tavares he's no longer in the teams plans after this season (ahl bound for hardball) there's no reason why Tavares would try and fight to stay

I've said this from last year and people shit talked me but we'll just have to see what the future has in store
They should, it makes no sense.

Reactions: TMLife17

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
After his bonus of 7m is paid on July 1st Im pretty sure there would be some takers at 4m that wouldnt include us giving up a 1st. It wont happen anyway, he isnt going anywhere.
He is owed 910K in real dollars. Doubt contract termination by the Leafs is the answer because the $11m cap hit has to go somewhere. The answer is to move him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor and saves millions in real dollars. With Chicago over paying stiffs like Mrazek, Foligno and Perry, they would be a good candidate. Sell Tavares on the city of Chicago and playing with Bedard. It is a possibility if the Leafs have the stomach for it. My guess is they have resigned themselves to Tavares being here the last year of his deal.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He is owed 910K in real dollars. Doubt contract termination by the Leafs is the answer because the $11m cap hit has to go somewhere. The answer is to move him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor and saves millions in real dollars. With Chicago over paying stiffs like Mrazek, Foligno and Perry, they would be a good candidate. Sell Tavares on the city of Chicago and playing with Bedard. It is a possibility if the Leafs have the stomach for it. My guess is they have resigned themselves to Tavares being here the last year of his deal.
Now if only the fan base could do the same. Such a tired topic(right up there with playoff failures), he's not going anywhere.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Most likely but fans can hope. Next year will be a write off with JT eating $11m of the cap.
I guess as a realist I find hoping for things that won't happen to be kind of silly.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Most fans are not realists. Most realists would have stopped following this team decades ago.
You can certainly be a fan and be realistic at the same time.
A fan can't stop following or they aren't a fan to begin with.

Reactions: TMLife17

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I don't know, but I suspect that if we give him his bonus and then he retires (mutually agreed contract termination), we'll still have at least the bonus as part of our cap for the year. So at best a cap saving of 4M and a roster spot.

I've suggested that it be done prior to July 1 (saving us the cap hit) and we then hire him as a faceoff coach at 2M per for 6 years. Likely his best chance of getting his name on the Cup.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't know, but I suspect that if we give him his bonus and then he retires (mutually agreed contract termination), we'll still have the bonus as part of our cap for the year. So at best a cap saving of less than 1M and a roster spot.

I've suggested that it be done during the summer (saving us the cap hit) and we then hire him as a faceoff coach at 2M per for 6 years. Likely his best chance of getting his name on the Cup.
Maybe he can retire and come back in March (I think Fisher did that for the Preds).

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The thing is Chicago is not going to do the Leafs a favor for free. They might take him if he was willing to go but they will extract a hefty return from the Leafs for doing so. Hawks are not a cash poor team so its not like they are looking for a high Cap hit with low cash$ to reach the floor. They will weigh the value of bringing in 2 or 3 vets with a history of being winners to help develop their kids against a year of Tavares. Tavares does not bring that history of being a winner rep so what else can he bring to help them down the road - a 1st round pick+..

Habs got a 1st for assuming 6.75M cap hit on Monahan, Canes got one for about the same on Marleau. That kind of sets the market for value in taking on Cap hit. Teams like Arizona have taken on Cap hit in the past to reach the floor but tend to prefer injured players solving someone's LTIR issues and their cap floor issue at the same time.

I don't think anyone will need 11m to get to the floor, certainly not anyone that he will waive his NMC for.

Hard to envision a scenario where he is not a Leaf next season, harder to envision one where he is not a Leaf and leafs did not pay through the teeth to have someone else carry the 11M

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
No. 11M of cap space is a lot of value and teams know it. You can't move JT at 11M cap no matter his actual salary without giving up a 1st.

You're greatly greatly overestimating how much balls this franchise's front office has and how much they care about reputation. There is a 0% chance JT isn't here next season. 0%. It's not 0.1%, it's literally 0%.
Lmfao did you even read my post 😆 lol
Why the hell to you keep talking about a first round pick... still traumatized by the whole Marleau ending lmfao

So why don't you bet me than... mr big shot 0%... like you know can guarantee a thing, let alone your next breath... that's not how life works, sorry

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
another 90pt season ? he's never had a 90 pt season

but i'm guessing your right Johnny must have been injured since Johnny never regresses or goes into a slump

or maybe he's pregnant again

or maybe he hasn't slept because um new father

or maybe his line mates are letting him down

or maybe the coach isn't using he properly

or maybe he's just having bad puck luck

or maybe he's been off because of covid long haulers affect

or maybe he not trying to score and working on his D

i hope i haven't missed any of the excuses we invented for Johnny since the start of his 2nd yr here
Sorry I really am

I was going to write 90ish, and perhaps I should've. I've been bad and I shouldn't have been. I feel shame.

BTW what did you think about Max giving up a grade AAA chance in the slot-ish, to attempt a low percentage pass to Auston who never got the shot off. Had Domi scored it would've pulled the Leafs to within one. But whatever the Golden Boy needs goals. As long as he's scoring people won't see what the real problems are.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The thing is Chicago is not going to do the Leafs a favor for free. They might take him if he was willing to go but they will extract a hefty return from the Leafs for doing so. Hawks are not a cash poor team so its not like they are looking for a high Cap hit with low cash$ to reach the floor. They will weigh the value of bringing in 2 or 3 vets with a history of being winners to help develop their kids against a year of Tavares. Tavares does not bring that history of being a winner rep so what else can he bring to help them down the road - a 1st round pick+..

Habs got a 1st for assuming 6.75M cap hit on Monahan, Canes got one for about the same on Marleau. That kind of sets the market for value in taking on Cap hit. Teams like Arizona have taken on Cap hit in the past to reach the floor but tend to prefer injured players solving someone's LTIR issues and their cap floor issue at the same time.

I don't think anyone will need 11m to get to the floor, certainly not anyone that he will waive his NMC for.

Hard to envision a scenario where he is not a Leaf next season, harder to envision one where he is not a Leaf and leafs did not pay through the teeth to have someone else carry the 11M
If Chicago took on 11 to hit the floor, with an outlay of 910k. Who would be doing whom a favour?

Not saying the Leafs would get a first back but they'd get back something. That contract would be worth more to them in the big picture.

Reactions: ToneDog

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
They should, it makes no sense.
"it makes no sense" lmfao @ACC1224 🤣

But since you just wanna shit talk... tell me why it, as you put it "makes no sense"?

Please enlightenment me???

Otherwise you have lost all credibility with the forum imho

Last edited:

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I feel sadness watching John play. 93 games left.
I do too... having to demote your 11 million captain mid-season must be tough on the team mentally... It's like he's playing knowing the writing is on the wall for him ✍

I hope he does well in the playoffs this year, I am rooting for the guy for sure...

It's the nhl cap world that makes fans dislike the players for their cap in relation to team success

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
If Chicago took on 11 to hit the floor, with an outlay of 910k. Who would be doing whom a favour?

Not saying the Leafs would get a first back but they'd get back something. That contract would be worth more to them in the big picture.
If the Hawks only goal is to reach the floor then it makes sense but that is not the Hawks goal. The hawks are rebuilding, they are looking to acquire futures, they know they are not ready to compete yet so they will not give up anything to take on a bad contract. Hawks are a wealthy team, they don't mind spending real money to get futures.

The asset that they have/will have is unused cap space. with so many ELCs they won't be a Cap team. They will look for opportunities to leverage that unused space (its an expiring asset can't carry it over to a future season) to acquire futures. Like the Habs (Monahan) or Canes (Marleau) they will be looking for deals that pay them in futures to use that space (take on a contract). If its an expiring contract that they can retain on a flip at the deadline- so much the better.

Getting to the floor is secondary for the Hawks- its about using any unneeded cap space to improve the ream down the line. They certainly won't trade assets to bring in a overpaid guy, just overpay a UFA that you can retain on and flip at the deadline.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He’s had a pretty damn good month after looking cooked in February.

I wonder if there’s some of that Crosby Malkin dynamic at play where AM34 and JT91 can’t both be firing on all cylinders in sync at the same time.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the Hawks only goal is to reach the floor then it makes sense but that is not the Hawks goal. The hawks are rebuilding, they are looking to acquire futures, they know they are not ready to compete yet so they will not give up anything to take on a bad contract. Hawks are a wealthy team, they don't mind spending real money to get futures.

The asset that they have/will have is unused cap space. with so many ELCs they won't be a Cap team. They will look for opportunities to leverage that unused space (its an expiring asset can't carry it over to a future season) to acquire futures. Like the Habs (Monahan) or Canes (Marleau) they will be looking for deals that pay them in futures to use that space (take on a contract). If its an expiring contract that they can retain on a flip at the deadline- so much the better.

Getting to the floor is secondary for the Hawks- its about using any unneeded cap space to improve the ream down the line. They certainly won't trade assets to bring in a overpaid guy, just overpay a UFA that you can retain on and flip at the deadline.
That was my assumption based on overpaying players like Foligno, Mrazek and Perry close to $12m in real dollars when they are worth $3-$5m. Give me Tavares, a Jones and a Rempe for < $3m in real dollars any day.

Reactions: myleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad