How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
wow nice very log winded reply but what does that have to do with my post ?

-you didn't explain why JT has been mediocre to bad in the playoffs for entire career the lucky bounce off a foot notwithstanding

-you also forgot to mention how those useless slugs instantly improved the second JT left and had the most success the organization has had since there cup dynasty teams in the early 80's

and Willie's the complimentary player on that line ? lol , without Willie , all you'd see is JT constantly turning over the puck as he tries to make a play

also no one outside of you a few others gives a damn about the garbage you endlessly keep regurgitating from the Athletic , JT worth 9.9m , lol you'd think you had more common sense than to post crap like that
lol,… you do know those useless slugs are missing the playoffs again this year, no?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

-you didn't explain why JT has been mediocre to bad in the playoffs for entire career the lucky bounce off a foot notwithstanding

-you also forgot to mention how those useless slugs instantly improved the second JT left and had the most success the organization has had since there cup dynasty teams in the early 80's

and Willie's the complimentary player on that line ? lol , without Willie , all you'd see is JT constantly turning over the puck as he tries to make a play

also no one outside of you a few others gives a damn about the garbage you endlessly keep regurgitating from the Athletic , JT worth 9.9m , lol you'd think you had more common sense than to post crap like that

I mean there offense went from 3.18 in John's last year to 2.72 so a significant drop in offense but there Defense went from 3.57 GA per game to 2.33 so significantly better might have something to do with goaltending

17-18: Halak 908 sv% Greiss 898 sv%
18-19 Greiss 927 sv% Lehner 930 sv%

Barry Trotz was also hired in June of 2018 replacing Doug Weight bit of an upgrade there.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
lol,… you do know those useless slugs are missing the playoffs again this year, no?
again ? they made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5yrs just like we have but they've gotten to 2 conference finals and won series in 3 out of the 4 yrs they made it

not bad for what people described as a bunch of AHLers Johnny had to carry to nowhere

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
again ? they made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5yrs just like we have but they've gotten to 2 conference finals and won series in 3 out of the 4 yrs they made it

not bad for what people described as a bunch of AHLers Johnny had to carry to nowhere
You should root for them… they also despise Tavares.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I mean there offense went from 3.18 in John's last year to 2.72 so a significant drop in offense but there Defense went from 3.57 GA per game to 2.33 so significantly better might have something to do with goaltending

17-18: Halak 908 sv% Greiss 898 sv%
18-19 Greiss 927 sv% Lehner 930 sv%

Barry Trotz was also hired in June of 2018 replacing Doug Weight bit of an upgrade there.
goalies seem to magically improve with Trotz behind the bench , lol

anyway they switched to a more defensive system when Trotz arrived which JT can't/won't play since it will depress his stats which he cares more about than winning

the secret to Trotz as well as Bruins success is there's passengers and no stat padding , everyone works and no one cheats for offence

in Toronto it seems we'd rather lose 6-5 so our forwards can pad their stats than win 2-1

You should root for them… they also despise Tavares.
you should root for what's best for the Leafs instead of a guy who is killing our window

and you should try to reply to the post instead of constantly trying to shift the goalposts

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

JT is 128th all time in PPG in the playoffs among players with 50 or more games, how is that medicre to bad? he's tied with Willie actually head of guys like Jeremy Roenick, Steven Stamkos, Mark Stone, Mark Recchi, Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk, Brad Richard, Joe Thornton, Mogilny, if that is Mediocre to bad you might want to re-evaluate.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
goalies seem to magically improve with Trotz behind the bench , lol

anyway they switched to a more defensive system when Trotz arrived which JT can't/won't play since it will depress his stats which he cares more about than winning

the secret to Trotz as well as Bruins success is there's passengers and no stat padding , everyone works and no one cheats for offence

in Toronto it seems we'd rather lose 6-5 so our forwards can pad their stats than win 2-1

you should root for what's best for the Leafs instead of a guy who is killing our window

and you should try to reply to the post instead of constantly trying to shift the goalposts
I root for the Team… there’s no point in obsessing over things out of my control.

Yes, I’m a John Tavares fan, too.

I feel your pain and struggle though.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

I love how you just make crap up and believe it proven to me Tavares is not willing to play in a more defensive system because it would hurt his stats

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
JT is 128th all time in PPG in the playoffs among players with 50 or more games, how is that medicre to bad? he's tied with Willie actually head of guys like Jeremy Roenick, Steven Stamkos, Mark Stone, Mark Recchi, Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk, Brad Richard, Joe Thornton, Mogilny, if that is Mediocre to bad you might want to re-evaluate.
he has 44pts in 55 games while being weak defensively , i wouldn't considerate that being ''good''

I root for the Team… there’s no point in obsessing over things out of my control.

Yes, I’m a John Tavares fan, too.

I feel your pain and struggle though.
you barely post but live in the JT forum and i'm obsessed with JT , lol

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Game winner - March 30, 2024.

Still in the Top 4 of the Leafs, but yes he is human and time doesn't discriminate.

The 3 core forwards have years and miles left in them, and as they ascend Tavares will go in the other direction.

I'm really curious about contract discussions in July.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I love how you just make crap up and believe it proven to me Tavares is not willing to play in a more defensive system because it would hurt his stats
watch how he starts to cheats defensively anytime his points dry up then get back to me

also watch JT on the pp and how he pops out and clogs the shooting lane until he gets a touch then he'll race back to the net front only to pop out once again when he sees more than 2 other players have touched the puck eliminating a potential assist for him

Game winner - March 30, 2024.

Still in the Top 4 of the Leafs, but yes he is human and time doesn't discriminate.

The 3 core forwards have years and miles left in them, and as they ascend Tavares will go in the other direction.

I'm really curious about contract discussions in July.
there shouldn't be any contract discussion this off season , wait and see how he performs next yr then sit down with him if the team wants to re-sign him

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
there shouldn't be any contract discussion this off season , wait and see how he performs next yr then sit down with him if the team wants to re-sign him
While I don't disagree with you, I expect it to happen anyway.

So, my curiosity is how much are they going to offer?

If there is no discussion, does that impact John's position with regards to his NMC.

Ottawa, Ontario, and medical licensing is provincial, so IIRC his wife is in medicine and would not have to pursue any additional qualifications to practice in Ottawa.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
While I don't disagree with you, I expect it to happen anyway.

So, my curiosity is how much are they going to offer?

If there is no discussion, does that impact John's position with regards to his NMC.

Ottawa, Ontario, and medical licensing is provincial, so IIRC his wife is in medicine and would not have to pursue any additional qualifications to practice in Ottawa.
your probably right about them discussing a contract but i seriously doubt his wife who i think is a physio therapist is working or will ever work again

also Hymans wife's a lawyer and he moved to Edm without a second thought even though they're both from Toronto

this home town stuff is seriously overplayed

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
watch how he starts to cheats defensively anytime his points dry up then get back to me

also watch JT on the pp and how he pops out and clogs the shooting lane until he gets a touch then he'll race back to the net front only to pop out once again when he sees more than 2 other players have touched the puck eliminating a potential assist for him
his points haven't dried up in his career as a leaf. he's gone 4 games without a point 3 times.

your talking about a PP where he's plays in front of the net and then pops out for a one-timer in the slot when someone gets to puck on the half wall or deeper in the zone? lol that's what he's suppose to be doing. like talk about some tin foil hat stuff haha. how awful of him to give his teammates options

Edit: the fact that this is the best you could come up with when trying to prove JT doesn't care or want to play in a defensive system is pretty poor and imo shows you clearly have a bias against Tavares for some reason.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

So now your going with JT the selfish stat obsessed non team player despite his reputation in literally the entire hockey community? So that's the real reason he's in the top 10 for assists over the last 15 years?

Bold strategy there Cotten.

...and anyone who knows my views knows that I think the biggest issue with the current team has been goaltending and how we have had the 2nd best keeper in every series since the Belfour days.

Looking at the Isles, they had some D moves and draft picks turn out for them combined with getting some outstanding goaltending peaking for them at the same time which was actually a great fit for Trotz coaching style but too much emphasis was put on the latter which is why something like the moronic Towes trade can happen. Even still, lucking into getting a guy like Sorokin to man the net hasn't stopped that team from becoming a non playoff team.

• Haha
Reactions: -DeMo-

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What are you going on about?

I'm not calling to be an expert on anything and am happy JT is playing so well down the stretch and you should be too. Since you seem to be resorting to ad homs at this point ("fluffing", "related to him"), I'm hoping it's the last stages of denial that you and many others were wrong that he was somehow washed. I don't have to "fluff" for a guy who is putting up great numbers. The onus is on you and others to man up and admit you were wrong about him.

As far as his prime with the Islanders is concerned, yea, the Isles absolutely let him and their fanbase down by surrounding him with crap for his time there. He still managed to carry them and himself to some decent results considering. No one denies they did an awful job during this time which includes Tavares nearly winning a Hart against prime Ovi and Crosby in the closest vote in history despite having next to no support.

I mean, it's hard not to cheer for a star who chose to come play here and has been nothing but class his entire run with us. I'm not going to forget him willing that series winning goal last year and I hope he carries his excellent play into the playoffs and does it 4 more times. I hope youre on board but you first have to at least admit he's playing well. His chemistry with McMann has been incredible and Willy is the perfect compliment to the line as they are defensively responsible enough cover for Willys lack of D (although Nylander has made some strides in that area this season). Willy needs to play with either Matthews or Tavares as he has been one of the worst stars in the league when it comes to driving their own line.

Current Athletic ranking for Tavares on the year:

Offensive rating: 91st percentile
Defensive rating: 85th percentile

Market value: 9.9 million

Gonna end up with a 30 goal, 70 pointish 2C with great D numbers against decent QoC and top 10 in the NHL for faceoffs. What kind of 50 IQ take is it to say we would want to get rid of that next season? You would never replace it with any confidence. What kind of 20 IQ take is it to say he's washed up?

I hope he tears it up the rest of the way and gets close to that 11 million mark so I can watch people lose their crap because thats what I expect. We are in the age that no one can admit their wrong no matter how glaring it might be. I thought Knies would blossom more in a first line role and was wrong. I thought Samsonov was cooked and he obviously isnt. I thought Brodie was just having a bad stretch but he might in fact be cooked. I can name countless other things. The easiest bet for me was that Tavares would bounce back from a slump. He's a future HOF stud. Of course he was going to.
I take numbers from The Athletic with a grain of salt. Every formula is flawed and their numbers are sometimes off in a very obvious way. Leaving those numbers aside though, I agree with this post in principle, you've made your case very well and it's a shame that someone as classy as JT has been dissed here to the extent that he has.

Like you said:
Gonna end up with a 30 goal, 70 pointish 2C with great D numbers against decent QoC and top 10 in the NHL for faceoffs.

Not sure this is worth 9.9 million like the Athletic says, but people with the attitude that his next contract needs to be no more than a couple of million "or he can take a hike" are clearly out to lunch.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
his points haven't dried up in his career as a leaf. he's gone 4 games without a point 3 times.

your talking about a PP where he's plays in front of the net and then pops out for a one-timer in the slot when someone gets to puck on the half wall or deeper in the zone? lol that's what he's suppose to be doing. like talk about some tin foil hat stuff haha. how awful of him to give his teammates options
points drying up meaning say 2/3 points in 7 games not just 0 points and when that happens he starts cheating just like he did recently by hanging around behind the D

he's not popping out for a one timer , as the puck swings around the top he'll position himself higher and higher in the shooting lane while not in a shooting position to get a touch before he hurries back to the net front looking for garbage to bang in

and as i said , stop focusing just on the puck and watch what he's doing and get back to me

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
points drying up meaning say 2/3 points in 7 games not just 0 points and when that happens he starts cheating just like he did recently by hanging around behind the D

he's not popping out for a one timer , as the puck swings around the top he'll position himself higher and higher in the shooting lane while not in a shooting position to get a touch before he hurries back to the net front looking for garbage to bang in

and as i said , stop focusing just on the puck and watch what he's doing and get back to me
not going to waste anymore of my time you can try and justify your stance all you want it's clearly false and any coach Tavares has played under would tell you something completely different, that's not someone who gets named a captain of two different NHL teams. but good luck to you.

Soooo... 2-3 year contract extension at 5 million per? Who says no? Maybe Tavares?
I see no reason why we wouldn't just go year to year. if he wants to be here and not interested in moving.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So now your going with JT the selfish stat obsessed non team player despite his reputation in literally the entire hockey community? So that's the real reason he's in the top 10 for assists over the last 15 years?

Bold strategy there Cotten.

...and anyone who knows my views knows that I think the biggest issue with the current team has been goaltending and how we have had the 2nd best keeper in every series since the Belfour days.

Looking at the Isles, they had some D moves and draft picks turn out for them combined with getting some outstanding goaltending peaking for them at the same time which was actually a great fit for Trotz coaching style but too much emphasis was put on the latter which is why something like the moronic Towes trade can happen. Even still, lucking into getting a guy like Sorokin to man the net hasn't stopped that team from becoming a non playoff team.
didn't realize you took a poll with the entire NHL about how they view JT

i didn't take a poll like you did but i can guarantee you his former teammates are thrilled he isn't on the team , not because he's a bad guy but who wants to endlessly listen to how the entire team is crap and dragging poor Johnny down and it's been that way his entire career since jr

the islanders improved because they did have quality players on the team when Johnny was there but they added a great coach who taught them to play defensively sound and they didn't have to revolve the team around a stat padder

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I take numbers from The Athletic with a grain of salt. Every formula is flawed and their numbers are sometimes off in a very obvious way. Leaving those numbers aside though, I agree with this post in principle, you've made your case very well and it's a shame that someone as classy as JT has been dissed here to the extent that he has.

Like you said:
Gonna end up with a 30 goal, 70 pointish 2C with great D numbers against decent QoC and top 10 in the NHL for faceoffs.

Not sure this is worth 9.9 million like the Athletic says, but people with the attitude that his next contract needs to be no more than a couple of million "or he can take a hike" are clearly out to lunch.

The reason his number is so high is the fact his point totals dont reflect the the number of on ice chances not converted, either by him or by linemates. They are saying, based on his play, a 40 goal, 80 point season would be more probable and that, combined with his career high D numbers, his salary reflects that.

I agree with you that it probably isnt that high as its been the one worrying trend that his finishing has cooled off compared to his earlier years but the crazy hot takes in here are a little much and its more than apparent they are tied to old "Lou vs Dubas" arguments.

I try not to go down these rabbit holes myself but, yea, when I see this kind of stupid slander against a star player who actually chose us and has worked hard to try and help the team and took the punches like a man after his slump and played his way back into his old position.....it just triggers me is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad