How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He's been great and as previously stated he looks a little faster. He's generating offence, goes to the dirty areas, and is usually engaged. Sure, he's overpaid by a couple of million, but I didn't hear too many complain when we signed him. This offence can sometimes be offensively challenged, imagine where we'd be without him and his point per game production.

Reactions: Altair and ToneDog

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You're right.

His hot start totally makes me change the opinion I've held daily since they signed him. I no longer think $11M on a 2C cliche mumbling pacifist milquetoast for Captain is a misallocation of resources. I also don't understand anything about regression so fully expect him to finish with 150 points or so.

Nylander too for that matter.

When what you feel to be true and what is quantifiably true are the opposite most people would take pause before they post but you didn't let quantifiable truths stop you. Bravo!

Reactions: Gallagbi

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I wish he was at 9 mil, otherwise he goes out there and does his job every day. He is still a ppg player. HOpefully he stays after his deal but at more of a ROR number. His contract did expedite Leafs paying some players, but thats not his fault and people shouldn't be hating him for it. They should have drafted and cultivated his replacement as well as some D that should be playing at minimum wage right now.

Reactions: hurdemz

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
One goal and one primary assist at 5v5.

Benefitting a lot from odd-man situations and Nylander's play, which is about normal for him.
He has 4 points at 5v5, which is tied with Nylander for 1st on the team (according to MoneyPuck). Or if you look at even strength in general, not exclusively 5v5, he has 6 points, again tied with Willy for 1st on the team (Matthews 3rd with 4 ES points). You’re really cherry picking to try to find some way to make him look bad.

I’ve frequently been a critic of JT’s, but he’s been playing GREAT so far this season. Have watched every game so far this year, and his excellent play is unarguable IMO. Best he’s looked in a few years, especially at ES. He’s not just a passenger to Willy, he’s been driving the play himself a tonne too.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tavares soften starts like this. I said the same last year, that he seemed quicker and then he slowed down as the season progressed. Won't be surprised to see him get 70-80 points again this season if he stays heathy as he's always been super consistent.

That said, I'm looking forward to us being able to spend his 11M cap in 2 years either because he's signed for us on a cheap veteran deal (1-2M per year) or we've decided to go in another direction. Putting that money elsewhere like McDavid or some decent defensemen likely makes this team better.

1-2M is not going to happen. At a good discount think more like 5-6M. Highly likely he’s still worth it to re-sign at that hit

He clearly had a good offseason. He’s looking really good and noticeably faster.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
When what you feel to be true and what is quantifiably true are the opposite most people would take pause before they post but you didn't let quantifiable truths stop you. Bravo!

That's a long winded way of saying "I'm right and you're wrong".

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One goal and one primary assist at 5v5.

Benefitting a lot from odd-man situations and Nylander's play, which is about normal for him.

You can't use the PP argument because most of his points have come at even strength, including his 2 last night, and yes appearently he did get a piece of the puck on the game winner.

Because You can't use the PP argument anymore You have now moved the goal posts and gone to this.

Just admit you hate John Tavares because you are never actually right about anything

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
He has been very noticeable this season. I like what I see so far. With Nylander playing for a contract perhaps this could lead to a career year for Tavares.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He looks faster, isn’t getting caught out on long shifts. Want to see him shoot more. He’s a goal scorer and if he can score we’ll have more success.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
1-2M is not going to happen. At a good discount think more like 5-6M. Highly likely he’s still worth it to re-sign at that hit

He clearly had a good offseason. He’s looking really good and noticeably faster.
Yea I don’t see where this 1-2m sweetheart deal idea comes from

Gio gave it but he was at most a 3 million dollar player. He was gonna play 3LD

Spezza came here after being a 35 point player. So essentially he knew he was coming to play maybe 3rd line, probably 4th line

Tavares is in a different class from these guys. See kopitar as a comparable, now I think Tavares will take a discount compared to him, so 5-6 million is a good contract for us and decent money for him

1-2 million would be nice, but it ain’t realistic

Reactions: notDatsyuk

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He wont be ppg by years end. He is 3M overpaid in the reg season as a 75-80 pt guy

Playoffs he falls to a low end 2C player as a 55 pt guy

A lot to prove after 5 years of being the main reason this group has failed

He is not the main reason this group has failed. I have serious distain for people who try and blame one person. As I’ve said more than once, there is a lot of blame to go around. In a team sport like hockey you cannot blame one person. No one person has that much control of a game. It takes multiple things breaking down and going wrong to not win. How about we start with the fact that the leafs have not had a legit starter in the playoffs for years. Or the fact that we cannot score. It doesn’t just come down to JT’s cap hit.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
He is still a very good player. No longer great but someone who could/should still contribute in a meaningful way.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He is not the main reason this group has failed. I have serious distain for people who try and blame one person. As I’ve said more than once, there is a lot of blame to go around. In a team sport like hockey you cannot blame one person. No one person has that much control of a game. It takes multiple things breaking down and going wrong to not win. How about we start with the fact that the leafs have not had a legit starter in the playoffs for years. Or the fact that we cannot score. It doesn’t just come down to JT’s cap hit.
It comes down to

1. JT cap hit and playoff production (as mentioned he is a 55-60 pt player in the playoffs for us vs 80ish ot reg season player)
2. Marner/Matthews cap hits vs their decline in production (105 pt guys becoming 80ish pt guys)
3. Everything else

Tavares has been the 2nd highest paid player, the captain, and the player who was supposed to lead the charge.

He has had the most excuses made for his failures with blame going to 34/16/88 before him which doesnt make sense to me

He needs to put together a kessel 2016 or 2017 type playoff run to prove he can be a key piece to a cup run

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He is still a very good player. No longer great but someone who could/should still contribute in a meaningful way.

He's currently playing the best hockey of his career.

At some point it's going to slow down obviously because he's not going to put close to 2 points a night forever.

But to say he's no longer great simply isn't true.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He can still contribute to the team and be good. I think he is a 6-8 million dollar player at this stage but can still get points (which isn't hard with all world Nylander next to you and the Leafs pp).

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
He has like 363 points in 365 games as a leaf. Folks here just talk shit cause he is slow in peoples eyes and his contract blows but he is clearly “pulling his weight” whether it’s in clutch moments when he can or on the score sheet or in other facets of the game. He isn’t a generational talent like Crosby but he try’s to contribute and it’s admirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It comes down to

1. JT cap hit and playoff production (as mentioned he is a 55-60 pt player in the playoffs for us vs 80ish ot reg season player)
2. Marner/Matthews cap hits vs their decline in production (105 pt guys becoming 80ish pt guys)
3. Everything else

Tavares has been the 2nd highest paid player, the captain, and the player who was supposed to lead the charge.

He has had the most excuses made for his failures with blame going to 34/16/88 before him which doesnt make sense to me

He needs to put together a kessel 2016 or 2017 type playoff run to prove he can be a key piece to a cup run

Again Tavares cap hit hasn’t really killed us. The only person we truly lost because of the cap hit was Connor Brown, Kapanen and Johnsson.

Everyone else could have and Would have fit under our cap structure. Kadri would have fit, Dubas decided to flip him for a defenseman and cheaper 3C option instead and that backfired.

We could have kept Hyman, reports came out that Hyman was good with the AAV, however Dubas and Co were unwilling to give him an 8-year term. I mean I’d rather Hyman at 5.5 instead of Bertuzzi

The reason why the Leafs haven’t had success isn’t because of Tavares’ cap hit. It’s because management made some bad decisions and moved on from players they didn’t have to in addition to their reluctancy to change up the core and acquire a legitimate starting goalie. Anyone whos unbiased can see and understand that. Tavares ain’t the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Altair

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
At this point crying about the cap hit and contract is a waste of my time and energy. Just hope for him to be a reliable 2C who contributes, which he generally is.

Reactions: phillipmike

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Again Tavares cap hit hasn’t really killed us. The only person we truly lost because of the cap hit was Connor Brown, Kapanen and Johnsson.

Everyone else could have and Would have fit under our cap structure. Kadri would have fit, Dubas decided to flip him for a defenseman and cheaper 3C option instead and that backfired.

We could have kept Hyman, reports came out that Hyman was good with the AAV, however Dubas and Co were unwilling to give him an 8-year term. I mean I’d rather Hyman at 5.5 instead of Bertuzzi

The reason why the Leafs haven’t had success isn’t because of Tavares’ cap hit. It’s because management made some bad decisions and moved on from players they didn’t have to in addition to their reluctancy to change up the core and acquire a legitimate starting goalie. Anyone whos unbiased can see and understand that. Tavares ain’t the issue.
Tavares production is a major issue

He makes 11M and gives us 55-60 pt production in the playoffs.

His cap hit prevents us from upgrading the defense and adding a #2D, or adding that 1G that you mentioned.

He is a 5-6M contributer for us in the playoffs while eating up 11M in space.

It is not just him, as Marner and Matthews have also been poor in the playoffs for their careers but he was the big UFA that was supposed to put the team over the top

He was supposed to be an elite 1C who can play either 1Cs or dominate 2Cs in the playoffs. He can't produce without Nylander or Marner despite being labelled as a guy who can work with grinders/lesser skilled talent

Tavares lack of production hurts as it is, but his production couped with his 11M cap hit has stopped us from being able to continue to add supporting core pieces for the long-term

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I sit on a man's back.

Choking him and making him carry me. Yet I tell everyone that I am very sorry for him. That I wish to ease his pain by all means possible.

Except by getting off his back.

Tavares has earned $68.14M so far to live out his dream as Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. And that's where all the problems start. Because Tavares is only a 2C on this team.

But he's getting paid as a 1C.

He's become an anchor instead of an engine as a result. $68M has bought this franchise no more playoff rounds than they would have achieved without him here. And while I'm glad to see Tavares living out his childhood dream I think it would be nice if someone would take the fans dreams into consideration for once.

We're the ones paying for it all.
So you're saying two Tyler burtizzis is worth more than ppg Tavares (not getting first line minutes btw) who is clutch, leads by example.. that we as Leafs fans are " Paying" the price as Leafs fans? Damn dude, the only thing we're "paying" for is havimg posters like this in our fandbase that no doubt make all of us look bad when they venture out to the mains.... touch grass bro...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad