How about a serious line juggling?

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I mean really just shake up this roster and split up a lot of people.

Kulemin-Holland-Kessel <--Size, skill/sniper, defence
Lupul-Kadri-JVR <--Size, skill, sniper
Raymond-Smith-Clarkson <--- Clarkson should NOT be playing anywhere in top 6
D'Amigo-McClement-Broll <-- Call up Broll

Do a serious shake up.

DaveT83*

I mean really just shake up this roster and split up a lot of people.

Kulemin-Holland-Kessel <--Size, skill/sniper, defence
Lupul-Kadri-JVR <--Size, skill, sniper
Raymond-Smith-Clarkson <--- Clarkson should NOT be playing anywhere in top 6
D'Amigo-McClement-Broll <-- Call up Broll

Do a serious shake up.

LOL isn't this the team they iced tonight? And last night.

This isn't even a shakeup - its just line juggling.

Tradie Kessel
And Phaneuf
Fire Nonis

In that order.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Fire all of leafs management. The coaches, gm, scouts, whoever the hell else is up there. Then hire a new president, let him hire the entire organization and work from there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A shakeup is trading someone like Lupul.

This rotten cast of Kessel, Phaneuf, Reimer, Lupul, Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, Gardiner, Franson, etc. has been in place since all the meltdowns of a couple of years ago, and I think you might need to see that group nuked a little bit for the culture to be changed.

There's a lot of valuable pieces there that can help in the future, but it needs to be diluted with more outside help. More of those JVR for Schenn swaps.

The bottom six also needs to be completely blown up, I really don't like the idea of scrubs having the job security of being in one organization for many years.

DaveT83*

The Brian Burke purge needs to begin. This roster and organization is still littered with his cancer causing agents.

Kessel
Dion
Nonis
Carlysle

Gotta go

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We were suppose to be playoff contenders coming into this season

We are playoff contenders right now

I am quite satisfied with where we are

Giving away a playoff spot isn't contending for one but I'm happy you're happy.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
people looking to trade kessel and phaneuf need to give their head a shake....

imo in a shakeup we need to pick up a R.O.R type center (or yes i know been beaten to death Stastny) and a Girardi type dman and with the pieces being moved up to get though guys would be enough of a shakeup to get this team going again.... anything short of that randy is gone by the summer

Keep Kessel, phaneuf, Rielly, JVR, Bernier, Lupul and the rest is fair game imo (including gardiner and even kadri gotta give to get)

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
There is no reason this team should suck that bad with the roster they have. Hmm that's kind of the way i felt during Carlyle's last days with the ducks.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Dont hold your breath. Nonis' nickname while in van was "Nonuts" beacuse he refused to do the right things to improve the team. Watching you guys, it really does seem like a locker room issue. Pro athletes shouldnt need motivation to get up for games. That is their job. Maybe a new coach is the right way to go, though. It seems like Randy is stale.

Trading a winger for a solid defenseman would probably be the way to go also. Also stop running with so many OFD. Its nothing you guys dont probably know already though. Nonis will trade 2nd picks all day long for garbage without adressing what actually needs to be done.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
A shakeup is trading someone like Lupul.

This rotten cast of Kessel, Phaneuf, Reimer, Lupul, Kulemin, Bozak, Kadri, Gardiner, Franson, etc. has been in place since all the meltdowns of a couple of years ago, and I think you might need to see that group nuked a little bit for the culture to be changed.

There's a lot of valuable pieces there that can help in the future, but it needs to be diluted with more outside help. More of those JVR for Schenn swaps.

The bottom six also needs to be completely blown up, I really don't like the idea of scrubs having the job security of being in one organization for many years.
I'm glad you said this. Half of those guys need to be shipped out to make it a lot less cosy and make any coach's job easier. I still like Dion as a Leaf and Kessel but the core really is rotten and needs to be purged.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Lately we have had some trouble scoring goals (2 or less goals in 4 of the last 6 games). I think one of the reasons for this is we have a lot of eggs in one basket. This team is better when Kadri is on the 2nd line.

JVR - Holland - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond - Smith - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - McLaren/whoever

I feel that brings a more balanced top 6 and as a result more goals will come from it.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Dont hold your breath. Nonis' nickname while in van was "Nonuts" beacuse he refused to do the right things to improve the team. Watching you guys, it really does seem like a locker room issue. Pro athletes shouldnt need motivation to get up for games. That is their job. Maybe a new coach is the right way to go, though. It seems like Randy is stale.

Trading a winger for a solid defenseman would probably be the way to go also. Also stop running with so many OFD. Its nothing you guys dont probably know already though. Nonis will trade 2nd picks all day long for garbage without adressing what actually needs to be done.
It's the Leafs way. Only years ago we used to trade 4th rounders for garbage.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm glad you said this. Half of those guys need to be shipped out to make it a lot less cosy and make any coach's job easier. I still like Dion as a Leaf and Kessel but the core really is rotten and needs to be purged.

I think all of them are good pieces, but there is a comfort level that shouldn't exist for a group this young. Our star players aren't motivated our grinders don't grind. The group doesn't work.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I think all of them are good pieces, but there is a comfort level that shouldn't exist for a group this young. Our star players aren't motivated our grinders don't grind. The group doesn't work.

It sounds like a serious leadership issue tbh. I dont think Dion is the right choice as captain. Take a guy like Shane Doan for example, a guy who would go through a brick wall to win games. And the rest of the team sees that kind of effort from your captain and also responds. Locker room issues aside though, youre right about purging some of the core and bringing in some fresh blood with high compete level.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Kulemin and Clarkson shouldn't be in the top 6. They don't produce enough offense. Put them on a checking line with McClement and then put any combo of JVR Kessel Kadri Lupul Holland and Raymond in the top 6.

But as others have said we need big changes than some line shuffling.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
JVR - Holland - Kessel (~ 20 mins)
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson (~ 20 mins)
D'amigo - McClement - Kulemin (~15 mins)
Raymond - XXXX - Leivo/Ashton (~5 mins)

Gardiner - Phaneuf (~25 mins)
Rielly - Gunnarson (~20 mins)
Don't - Care (~15 mins)

Trade Raymond/Franson/Fraser/Liles as soon as possible for anything... more reliable players (Gleason or dependable 2-way forwards with some grit) or prospects/younger players with higher potential. I don't see any of those guys in our long-term plans.

Edit: Trading Raymond + for a good 3rd liner or a guy with some offensive flair could really help... When healthy we'd look like this:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXX
Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
D'amigo - McClement - XXXX

A bit risky, but trading Bozak + Franson for a top 4 Dman and putting holland as our #1C could help... depending on the Dman we get back of course.

I really don't understand... are Bozak/Bolland so important to our team? Because we should be much better than what we're showing.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holland Kessel JVR
Kadri Lupul Clarkson
Mcclement Kule Raymond

4th line insert Bodie with whomever

Dion Rielly
Franson Fraser
Liles Ranger

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We were suppose to be playoff contenders coming into this season

We are playoff contenders right now

I am quite satisfied with where we are

You MUST be kidding?

You must have been THRILLED at winning 3 games against Boston then, in that infamous 7 games series last season!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I agree. something need to happen. Some sort of identity shake up...Usually a coach is fired, but i don't see it.

JvR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Holland-Gardiner
Raymond-Smith-Clarkson
D'amigo-McClement-Broll

Reilly-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Franson
Liles-Fraser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad