Houston!!!!!!!!!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why is the NHL about to put itself in KC (It will happen no matter what). Houston is a major city in US with a hockey history and a population that is very sports savy. The city has an arena ready, a potential owner and a potential rivalry with Dallas. Everythings bigger in Texas. Could you imagine a possible all Texas Western Conference finals. It would be huge for the sport.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Why is the NHL about to put itself in KC (It will happen no matter what). Houston is a major city in US with a hockey history and a population that is very sports savy. The city has an arena ready, a potential owner and a potential rivalry with Dallas. Everythings bigger in Texas. Could you imagine a possible all Texas Western Conference finals. It would be huge for the sport.

also houston would probably become instant cross texas rivals with dallas.
and i believe, the sport would definitely get a boost with a team there. but kansas city. i dont think so.

Devs

Jun 1, 2006
NJ/DC
Aeros3.gif

courtesy of whauniforms.com

Who's ready for those bad boys again? Here's a question, what would be the bigger rivalry, KC and St. Louis or Houston and Dallas?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Considering that the Houston Aeros have a hard time getting anyone in the building,I find it difficult to believe that the NHL has any desire to move there anytime soon.
Remember Houston just won a calder cup in 2003 and they still don't draw well at all.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Considering that the Houston Aeros have a hard time getting anyone in the building,I find it difficult to believe that the NHL has any desire to move there anytime soon.
Remember Houston just won a calder cup in 2003 and they still don't draw well at all.

A minor league team in a city with major league teams doesn't draw well. I'm shocked. :sarcasm:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think that a hockey team in Houston would work, you would have a natural rivalry with Dallas plus the fact that it is such a big U.S. market wouldn't hurt either.

TrentSteele

Jun 11, 2007
actually, Nashville / St. Louis is a great little rivalry.

-t

So much so that they drew a staggering 9318 fans to a game back in December.

ADDITIONALLY: An even more earth shattering 5410 fans for a Nov. 30th game.

Last edited:

Shanker

Oct 15, 2006
I've read that in the last wave of expansion (Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Minnesota), Houston would have gotten a team instead of one of those four cities if not for the fact that they didn't have an NHL-ready arena (the old Summit instead of the new Toyota Center).

I typed this in another thread, but again here's why Houston needs a team:

-By far the largest city in North America without an NHL team (more people than Kansas City and Las Vegas combined).

-Houston has a rich hockey history (Gordie Howe played here for a few seasons, and the Aeros already have won championships in three separate leagues: WHA-twice, IHL, AHL).

-Dallas is always complaining that they travel too far for their division games. An in-state rival would be great for the Stars and the NHL in general.

-I've heard that the Toyota Center is a top-notch facility (although I haven't been there personally yet).

In my opinion, Houston is the obvious best choice for an NHL team, but I guess I'm biased since I'm moving to Houston.

SoCalPredFan

Apr 14, 2007
Portland, OR
So much so that they drew a staggering 9318 fans to a game back in December.

ADDITIONALLY: An even more earth shattering 5410 fans for a Nov. 30th game.

Typical response.

The 5410 fan game was due to a blinding snowstorm that basically shut down all of St. Louis. I'm shocked even 5000 people made it out to a sporting event.

The StL/Nash rivalry goes back to the Titans/Rams Superbowl and has carried over to the NHL. They're about 4 hours apart and have always been intense games.

-t

puckhead103*

Typical response.

The 5410 fan game was due to a blinding snowstorm that basically shut down all of St. Louis. I'm shocked even 5000 people made it out to a sporting event.

The StL/Nash rivalry goes back to the Titans/Rams Superbowl and has carried over to the NHL. They're about 4 hours apart and have always been intense games.

-t
remember that winnipeg had several 9000 attending games in the 1980s....lol...

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Typical response.

i see you havnt attempted to get to a hockey game in ottawa

one other thing about houston is the prosperous minor hockey in the area. Hockey is doing almost as well in houston as it is in the us hockey heartland.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Does anyone realize that the Houston Aeros are majority owned and operated by an NHL Franchise in Minnesota Sports & Entertainment aka the Minnesota Wild, Chuck Watson only holds a 20% stake and the trademark rights to the name Aeros.

Les Alexander is just a landlord in Houston and holds the lease under which the Aeros can play in his Toyota Center.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
i see you havnt attempted to get to a hockey game in ottawa

If you don't understood the difference between the infrastructure in Ottawa and the infrastructure in St. Louis, then I'll be glad to help.

Ottawa is used to cold weather situations; therefore, the city is prepared to deal with it.

St. Louis is not as used to cold weather situations; therefore, the city is less prepared to deal with it.

To put it bluntly, it's a lot easier to get to a hockey game during a blizzard in Ottawa than it is in St. Louis.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
If you don't understood the difference between the infrastructure in Ottawa and the infrastructure in St. Louis, then I'll be glad to help.

Ottawa is used to cold weather situations; therefore, the city is prepared to deal with it.

St. Louis is not as used to cold weather situations; therefore, the city is less prepared to deal with it.

To put it bluntly, it's a lot easier to get to a hockey game during a blizzard in Ottawa than it is in St. Louis.

You mean its a lot easier to get to Ottawa's rink which is in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard than it is to get to the Blues' downtown arena?

I'm not gonna lie, If I'm in Ottawa and theres a snowstorm, its going to be a serious trek out to Kanata to get to the rink.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
You mean its a lot easier to get to Ottawa's rink which is in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard than it is to get to the Blues' downtown arena?

That's exactly what I mean - thank you for helping to clarify for those who might not have understood.

To elaborate further, roads are generally in a better condition in Ottawa during a blizzard than they would be in St. Louis during a blizzard.

GlennTheFrog

Dec 5, 2005
South Hills
I'm in Houston right now, and I have to say from the people I've met, they really don't know much/care about hockey. Granted I'm just visiting and can't talk to everyone, but it just seems the area is concentrated more on college and pro football and baseball to support a NHL franchise.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
That's exactly what I mean - thank you for helping to clarify for those who might not have understood.

To elaborate further, roads are generally in a better condition in Ottawa during a blizzard than they would be in St. Louis during a blizzard.

I see what your saying. I used to live in the interior of BC, which had like 4 feet of snow for like 4 months and everything is fine and dandy. And when I moved out here to Vancouver..well lets just say..... if there is like 5 inches of snow the whole city goes hay wire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad