OT: Hot Take: I support Larkin not wanting to attend the All Star Game.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ex-GM Brian Burke rips Dylan Larkin for All-Star Game comment

The short version: Larkin said not to vote for him, because he'd rather have the days off, and other players deserve it more. Then Brian Burke tore him a new one, implying any player should walk on hot coals for such an honor.

But I support Larkin not wanting to go.

1) The All Star Game stopped being an honor a long time ago. Now it's a poor attempt at an exhibition, with a popularity contest thrown in for good measure.

2) Dylan is right to say other players deserve it more. So let a guy having a better season be at the game.

3) I've never been a fan of Brian Burke, so him going all righteous dictator in the media is just icing on the cake to take the other side of the debate.

But what do you think? Are you upset that Larkin doesn't want to attend? Is the All Star Game still a significant event for you?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think the ASG should be an obligation if a player doesn't want to go good on him for making it public. I think it would be a lot of fun but maybe he really does want the break instead of all the travel and scheduled events.

I think Burke at this point is just trying to get some headlines to be a talking head in the NHL. He is kind of a dinosaur if you ask me and he completely flubbed the leafs rebuild in an embarrassing fashion. I put him in the Milbury category. Not the same level but same category.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Lol Larkin doesn't even deserve to go so we can quit these threads. Not good enough of a player

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think there’s a chance that Larkin has never been at 100% dating back to the beginning of the season, and if he has been 100% at some point, he’s definitely got some nicks and bruises he’s playing through (like any player). He’s got the drive to not miss regular season games, but missing out on guaranteed rest time in order to play in the ASG probably doesn’t feel like the greatest endeavor.

I think he will go and make the most of it, if he were voted in (which he won’t be). But he certainly isn’t the only player thinking what he’s thinking. Don’t have a problem with it.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think he could have phrased it better. Like it or not PR is a thing and if you want to wear a C you have to know how to handle the media. Take out the " I like my days off" and just say " other guys deserve it more" and we'd be talking about how selfless he is.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don’t think this is a hot take, I think what you are saying is pretty much the consensus.

Not surprised by Burke though, I like Burke, but he’s old school and this take reflects a time when the ASG meant something.

Reactions: The Sweetness

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think he could have phrased it better. Like it or not PR is a thing and if you want to wear a C you have to know how to handle the media. Take out the " I like my days off" and just say " other guys deserve it more" and we'd be talking about how selfless he is.

Agreed, this will likely end up being a lesson on choosing his words carefully.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lets make it hotter: lets not have the ASG at all, especially if so many players don't want to go to it.
They can still have the break, and at the end of the break, just have the skills competition.

This is an actual hot take if presented to the league.

“Hey let’s take that money maker and just get rid of it because the players are tired.”

I don’t think many HF posters will have a problem with it though

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Burke should be ripping into Ovechkin and Flerry for skipping out of the event. Especially Ovechkin for being selected captain for his team. Do not hear anything from Burke on that do you?

The only way you make the All-Star Game meaningful is to do it like baseball where the winning team (conference) gets home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals. Then the players would not be playing the game as if it was just a morning skate on the ice. It would be more competitive and maybe entertaining to watch.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The league needs to find a way to make the All Star Game meaningful.

How does the NBA do it? Only comparable league that has the same amount of games, travel, work as the NHL.
Its a horrible no D style of game too though, and the highlight is the slam dunk contest.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So Larkin was basically joking, seeing as they said he was smiling when he said it. Are people seriously this inept to know when someone is kidding?

Also, what Burke said about Larkin is about 1000 times more stupid than anything Larkin has said. I used to like Burke and his opinions, but in the past 6-7 years he just seems to be an illogical blowhard.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just watched the clip and he looked to be lighthearted and joking about the whole thing.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The ASG is a joke. I get every league does it, but the players need time off during the season. Especially one in which Larkin is having a tough time and the team is historically bad. What motivation would he have to want to play?

Host a World Cup half-way through camp or something once every few years. The revenue will crush that of the ASG and the players will feel they have something to play for. Enough of the ASG already!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The All Star Game in all sports stopped being a necessity when nationwide TV deals became a thing. Nowadays, I can see Mike Trout or Christian Yelich on a Tuesday, watch Patrick Kane and Auston Matthews on the same night, and so on.

In the olden days, the All Star game was the only chance you had to see a lot of guys in the other league. Like for baseball when I was growing up, you got to see the Braves (TBS), the Cubs (WGN), and in Detroit occassionally the Tigers (when they weren't on PASS). So when the All-Star game came and you could see Barry Bonds before his head blew up or Ken Griffey Jr or whoever, it was special.

But now, you can see any guys play at any time and any remotely interesting play that happens in any sports league is shared with the world within ten minutes of it happening.

The World Cup or IIHF tournaments or whatever still show that country-based dream teams are still a cool thing. Like seeing Dylan Larkin share a line with Patrick Kane (so you know that if he was on a fantastic team, Larkin would be an absolute stud) for the JJ classic was awesome. Or the Olympics with the pros there.

It also used to be that guys got nice All Star purses for making the game. Like you'd get a bonus for making it that was material to you. Now with the way contracts are in the leagues... a material bonus for these guys would be a ludicrous amount for a single game of hockey.

Reactions: Oddbob

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Not the best quote for Larks to be honest. Obviously it was tongue and cheek (and the entire quote is a little better than just that part) but he’s gotta he smarter than that considering his role on the team.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I don't care about the all-star game, I agree it's stupid.

But I think Larkin's position this year is inexcusable for a captain of a major sports franchise. I care more about the 7 year olds he's supposed to be an example for, than for how mentally or physically fatigued he is, while he has millions of dollars for comfort, luxury and recovery at his disposal.

If the Red Wings were competing this year, or if there were olympics, or some hockey related reason for Larkins attitude, I would have no issue. But instead he griped about his job publicly, and missed an opportunity to make an impression on a 7 year old on a sunday afternoon.

Hard not to see it negatively imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2