Home Sharpeners

Craner

May 15, 2014
Newfoundland
I'm in the market for a home sharpener. My guy is getting ready to retire and he's been doing them for the past 30 years so with myself and 2 sons playing I figure it may be worth the investment and time to do it myself. Seems like there are alot of good options out there now for this at less than $2000. Blackstone X2, Wissota, and blademaster SPB850 all look like good machines. Also for a little more blademaster has the BRC2005B with the cross grind and I'm not sure if that is the only difference between that and the SPB850 or not. I was leaning toward the SPB 850 but I just seen some Cag One sharpeners on ebay and kijiji lately and they look fool proof and consistent every time which is enticing especially for a new guy but in looking at some reviews / videos I'm wondering if that machine rounds off the toe and heel giving the blade a banana type profile....some pics of skates you see have the toe almost completely grind down and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with that machine to say if that is the norm or if the wheel is set too high or tension on the wheel too high/low or whatever.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
I sharpen my own at home and have a Wissota. Been doing it for about 1.5 years.

Personally, I love it, and it was not a challenge at all. I can get a better sharpen than any shop around here. However, you do need to understand the principles in sharpening, such as the basic principle of a hollow and the geometry of the holder and how changing it can affect the edges. I fabricate and machine things all the time, so skate sharpening was no big deal.

I really recommend the Wissota. It's a solid machine. The only thing I don't do is check the edges the way they recommend in their instructions. Their method for checking for level is inaccurate and dangerous.... but I digress. The machine itself is perfectly fine.

I have never needed to cross grind. I determined that if I ever do need to cross grind, I'll take it to a shop. The blade would have to be pretty bad for me to do that though.

I don't have any experience with the fancy automatic machines. Personally, I wouldn't get them. I love robotics and automation, don't get me wrong. But those automatic sharpeners have to many possible failure points in my opinion. You would then have to consider how to fix the machine in case something does break.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
+1 for Wissota. I've had mine for close to 15 years and it's still going strong. once I got my holder dialed in it was a breeze.
I agree that Wissota's method for checking edges isn't great. I came up with my own method and it's probably not absolutely perfect but pretty darn close.

Craner

May 15, 2014
Newfoundland
Thanks for your input. Wissota gets alot of good reviews and I'm also considering the blademaster SPB850 as will. Leaning toward the blademaster because the Canadian $$ is weak and the exchange rate to USD on the Wissota would make it more expensive than the blademaster; I think both are capable machines.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
the Sparx sharpener is really close to being released. I am a Kickstarter investor and hoping to get mine soon.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i just bought a Wissota but im curious about the edge checking could either of you guys above expand on that?

ps i havent used the machine yet as i just ordered it

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
the Sparx sharpener is really close to being released. I am a Kickstarter investor and hoping to get mine soon.

I just watched a YouTube video of it being used and I'm intrigued. Interesting product for sure.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I just watched a YouTube video of it being used and I'm intrigued. Interesting product for sure.

They had a booth set up at the Pond Hockey Classic.

After asking a few questions, I was offered a free sharpening on the spot.

To be honest, the sharpening came out fine. Looks like a pretty solid product.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
How to Hockey just posted a video with a very good review of the sparx sharpener.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
i just bought a Wissota but im curious about the edge checking could either of you guys above expand on that?

ps i havent used the machine yet as i just ordered it

I realize this response is a tad late, but I'd like to answer so anyone else can see it as well.

In regards to their edge checking procedure....

They supply a piece of steel angle with a magnet for you to put on the blade while it is still in the holder. Its the same concept as any edge checker in regards to a length of metal and a magnet going across the blade to check for level, however, this method wants you to use the holder as the reference, as opposed to other checkers that use a second reference piece that attaches to the blade. The skate never leaves the holder.

The first problem utilizing their method is accuracy. Since you are using the holder as a reference, it is harder to see problems in un-level edges. Their reasoning for this method is that it keeps the skate in the holder from start to finish, because if you remove it to use other edge checkers, it might not go into the holder the same way when you want to make an adjustment, producing a slightly different cut. It can cause you to really chase your tail.

My biggest problem with their method though is safety. It's easy to forget that the piece of metal is still magnetically attached to the blade after checking. I forgot one time that I didn't remove it, and started a pass (I decided to try their method for once and compare). Once the wheel hit the level, it flung it 30 feet across the garage. The wheel stayed in tact, but I did have to dress it alot to remove the large chipped section. I'm very lucky that the wheel didn't shatter, as that would have been very bad. I have not used their method since that incident. Part of me knows I should have been more aware, but I would rather choose a method that doesn't open the possibility of an incident like that.

Reactions: Dont Hinder Jinder

Bladetek

I'm in the market for a home sharpener. My guy is getting ready to retire and he's been doing them for the past 30 years so with myself and 2 sons playing I figure it may be worth the investment and time to do it myself. Seems like there are alot of good options out there now for this at less than $2000. Blackstone X2, Wissota, and blademaster SPB850 all look like good machines. Also for a little more blademaster has the BRC2005B with the cross grind and I'm not sure if that is the only difference between that and the SPB850 or not. I was leaning toward the SPB 850 but I just seen some Cag One sharpeners on ebay and kijiji lately and they look fool proof and consistent every time which is enticing especially for a new guy but in looking at some reviews / videos I'm wondering if that machine rounds off the toe and heel giving the blade a banana type profile....some pics of skates you see have the toe almost completely grind down and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with that machine to say if that is the norm or if the wheel is set too high or tension on the wheel too high/low or whatever.
Most often if the toes and heels are ground down, look to the person not the machine

Reactions: Blissy

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
A buddy of mine has it. Phenomenal, consistent cuts. I haven't been to my regular arena since my friend bought this machine. Awesome, awesome product.

i sold the Wissota and bought one of these. its awesome. I do my skates, kids skates, goalie skates etc. Awesome product.

Marcus Lampinen

Oct 5, 2017
What do you mean by better? They might be cheaper to buy, but you have to change spare parts more often. But hey its only for home usage. Professional sprax can´t even compare to Prosharps...

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Hmmm, joined yesterday, first post was touting a product, second post was defending that product. I wonder who “Marcus” works for?!?!

Marcus Lampinen

Oct 5, 2017
Guess this forum is not for everyone. I found a topic that was interesting and wanted to share my thought. Not a conflict. Sparx is good enough for home users, I could easely buy one myself I like the concept!

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
For what it's worth, I've used both- I'm assuming we are referring to the Prosharp Home in comparison to the Sparx. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Prosharps are significantly more expensive to buy, and they need to be calibrated frequently. Consumables are much cheaper. Sparx are cheaper to buy and easier to use but consumables are way more expensive which becomes a factor if you are doing a lot of skates. Also, the build quality of the Prosharp is light years ahead of Sparx- I have no doubt it will last longer. Both do a nice job sharpening.

Which one would I buy? Depends how many skates I was doing. I’d go Sparx for a family, and Prosharp (Skatepal Pro 3) for a team.

Last edited:

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I will say this...If you just simply want the ability to have your skates sharpened whenever you want, then get a sparx 100%...but, If you want to do the same thing and learn the art/hobby of HOW to sharpen skates then get a blademaster...I know what I do, but only you can answer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad