Recalled/Assigned: Holzer

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Wouldn't worry too much about that. One (or maybe even two) of Dion, Franson, Gardiner are gone next year.

We'll see. With Dion's and Cody's strong play so far this year, we could get quote a nice return. Gards is still young and shows flashes of brilliance at times, hopefully the other GM's are hoodwinked by this and he also gives us a decent return.

thunderhawk905*

Also knows how to lay a hit

That's great and all, as long as he can play defensively sound in our own zone at the same time.

I watched him last year in a game with the Marlies take 4 minor penalties in two periods of hockey. To say my patience with him is thin would be an understatement, but he did have a solid game tonight for his return. Hoping for more!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Holzer is in make or break mode for 4 weeks. Short sprint so to speak. If he can't play NHL caliber minute he will forever be a minor league D. I can't think of a better prepared player. Had AHL seasoning, a decent stretch of NHL games, a full season of AHL and now another chance. If he can't make this work he is done as a prospect.
Good Luck KH...keep it simple!

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He just needs to take a page outa the Mark Fraser short term success school of playing defense - keep it simple for now - meat & potatoes - make 1-2 or plays max and get off the ice.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Holzer had a good game.....he hits and blocks shots and should have been here all year.

His game is best suited with a good skating D man as he likes to go for the big hits but will stay home on the transition game. Rielly and him would be a good pairing down the road. Lost on all of this was the play of Robidas who played a very good game as well.

I can see a trade of a D man and some adjustments of our pairings if Holzer continues his good play, when Polak returns.

Franson, Gardiner and Robidas are the candidates for a trade.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Those who recall training camp he was in my opinion the most physical and most ready.

He needs to play limited ice time, the first time around 2 years ago Randy had him paired with Dion in first pair. That's not who he is. Bottom pair, limited ice time and he should be fine

I don't mind him as a depth guy. He brings much needed sand paper in the back end

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Holzer had a good game.....he hits and blocks shots and should have been here all year.

His game is best suited with a good skating D man as he likes to go for the big hits but will stay home on the transition game. Rielly and him would be a good pairing down the road. Lost on all of this was the play of Robidas who played a very good game as well.

I can see a trade of a D man and some adjustments of our pairings if Holzer continues his good play, when Polak returns.

Franson, Gardiner and Robidas are the candidates for a trade.

As much as I'd like to see Franson traded, I'd be mighty scared if that means reuniting the Phaneuf-Holzer pairing... That was a trainwreck disaster. He had a good game last night, just keep it up and I'll be sold on him as a bottom pairing guy. Polak is best paired with a PMD (handles puck like live grenade) too so he's out and Robidas sucks, he's out. Not to mention I want to part of Phaneuf back on the right side.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
As much as I'd like to see Franson traded, I'd be mighty scared if that means reuniting the Phaneuf-Holzer pairing... That was a trainwreck disaster. He had a good game last night, just keep it up and I'll be sold on him as a bottom pairing guy. Polak is best paired with a PMD (handles puck like live grenade) too so he's out and Robidas sucks, he's out. Not to mention I want to part of Phaneuf back on the right side.

That really is the key. Keep in the bottom, keep him away from Dion. Dion needs a vet around him. I would rather put Robidas with Dion and keep Holzer where he is.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
That really is the key. Keep in the bottom, keep him away from Dion. Dion needs a vet around him. I would rather put Robidas with Dion and keep Holzer where he is.

I'm still not sold on Robidas, even though he has been playing better as of late. If it was just rust at the beginning and this is his norm, then I'd be more than happy to put Robidas back on the top pairing and get ourselves rid of Franson.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Keep in mind we'll have Loov and Percy also pushing for jobs next year.

True, but they're both lefties and play a different style

I'd like to think that Holzer and Granberg will be able to take Robidas and Polak's spots in the line up in the next few years ... That physical shut down presence is important

But there's a lot of time before that .. Holzer has a huge opportunity to show his worth, even if that means giving him some actual trade value to use too

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

That was vastly unfair to put Holzer with Dion, playing against top players when playing as a rookie with a D man who is not a great skater and makes poor decisions as often as Dion does.

Holzer can playing on the second or 3rd pair but needs to be with a good skating D man who can support him and his game of big hits. Rielly would be his best partner down the road as he is intelligent and can skate and makes great reads off his partner.

I agree with you regarding Polak and his puck handling, yet Polak still handles the puck far to much and see's himself as a player who provides offense.

Tyler Biggs*

I've been watching Holzer all season with the Marlies and this guy in no way shape or form belongs there. He's big, plays big and is a stay at home strong defenseman. He is a NHL player and should be with the Leafs or another team. I think he's played amazing since being called up.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've been watching Holzer all season with the Marlies and this guy in no way shape or form belongs there. He's big, plays big and is a stay at home strong defenseman. He is a NHL player and should be with the Leafs or another team. I think he's played amazing since being called up.

I have been saying this for years. Thank you!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Just don't play him top pairing.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Just don't play him top pairing.

Yup. He's a good third pairing guy right now. Maybe he can play on the second pairing at some point down the line, but let's give him a chance and keep him in his comfort zone.

I really like what he brings to our defense. In a group of guys that often try to do too much with the puck, Holzer makes the easy plays and really keeps his game simple. Short, safe passes, good positioning and few pinches make him a rock on defense. Even in the offensive zone it's always a low hard shot on net or the easy pass down the boards. He's a very steadying presence back there. I like it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He seems to be playing well. Really he had the worst possible intro to the NHL. Call up a rookie then dump him on the top pairing and see how that goes...

At least this time Carlyle isn't insane and is playing him on a more reasonable pairing. And no surprise that's going better for him which is good.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yup. He's a good third pairing guy right now. Maybe he can play on the second pairing at some point down the line, but let's give him a chance and keep him in his comfort zone.

I really like what he brings to our defense. In a group of guys that often try to do too much with the puck, Holzer makes the easy plays and really keeps his game simple. Short, safe passes, good positioning and few pinches make him a rock on defense. Even in the offensive zone it's always a low hard shot on net or the easy pass down the boards. He's a very steadying presence back there. I like it.

I don't think he'll ever make 2nd pairing.

Just a 3rd pairing or 7th guy. There is no development to hamper if he's in the press box a lot unlike guys like Percy who need to play.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Looks like that Holzer hype that gripped us in his last call up is looking deserved now.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He can't keep that up.

He isn't terrifying. He does his job, for now. He is a 7th Dman fighting for a job. He is Schenn lite. Just because we win, let's not pretend he is Scott Stevens.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He's incomparable more mobile than Schenn, and just as physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad