Recalled/Assigned: Holzer Sent Down to the Marlies

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Holzer is a perfect example of how fickle this fan base is.

Last year, posters here were throwing him in trade proposals and demanding that the team call him up. Now, everybody is partying because he got sent down.

His first extended with the Leafs was very much a mixed bag. He started strong but faded as he was left to face the opposition's top lines night-after-night. For all the talk about bringing young prospects along slowly (including Jake Gardiner), Holzer was rushed into a role which he could not possibly fill and left there to languish. He was made a scapegoat for the team's recent losing streak, even though it was hardly his fault alone. Even in his solid games, such as last week's game against Pittsburgh, posters here found ways to blame him for the loss.

Hope to see him back up once he gets some confidence back.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
our fan base quickly forgets that he is a rookie, still needed time in the AHL and played well out of his league because of the coach i.e. 1st line pairing when he is realistically a 3rd or 2nd line pairing in the future.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Carlyle bares some responsibility for Holzer becoming a whipping boy around here. Holzer had no business being thrown to the wolves at this stage of his career with the minutes he was logging and the opponents he was facing on a regular basis. Especially with the likes of Liles, Komisarek, and Gardiner waiting in the wings.

Fearless Leaf*

our fan base quickly forgets that he is a rookie, still needed time in the AHL and played well out of his league because of the coach i.e. 1st line pairing when he is realistically a 3rd or 2nd line pairing in the future.

Agreed, I feel the exact same way.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Last year, posters here were throwing him in trade proposals and demanding that the team call him up. Now, everybody is partying because he got sent down.

His first extended with the Leafs was very much a mixed bag. He started strong but faded as he was left to face the opposition's top lines night-after-night. For all the talk about bringing young prospects along slowly (including Jake Gardiner), Holzer was rushed into a role which he could not possibly fill and left there to languish. He was made a scapegoat for the team's recent losing streak, even though it was hardly his fault alone. Even in his solid games, such as last week's game against Pittsburgh, posters here found ways to blame him for the loss.

I'm not concerned now because with Gardiner the Leafs are probably going to go about 14 and 5 the rest of the season.

If they call up Rielly I'd say they are a shoe in for the semi finals.

ReimTime

Bozakian Bond
Mar 14, 2011
Poor guy.. Probably would have been completely fine if he wasn't used so wildly. I mean, he was played against the top lines.. jeez. I hope his confidence returns back in the A. This was definitely the right move though.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Pretty much.

Not Holzer's fault that he's been overplayed on the 1st pairing when he's much better suited to limited minutes.. I'm a big fan of Carlyle but that's on him.

Kid hasn't even reached 25 games at the NHL level. The adjustment between AHL and NHL games takes longer than some of you would think, especially for a rookie defenceman. Holzer will be fine.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
should never have taken this long... pathetic a rookie defensmen coming off a 30 point season had to miss out on more then half of the season... As far as the pairings go as good as Fraser and Franson are you may need to break them up if you want to go with both Liles and Gardiner. Will be interesting who sits out of Liles, Gunnar and Kostka. Personally I would sit Gunnarson for a game.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo

This x 1000.

Holzer will be a serviceable NHL defenseman eventually. He was thrown on the top pairing- and since playing as the #2 didn't work out he got thrown back down. I don't disagree with the demotion, but he was basically only thrown on the top pairing.

Still like Holzer. Love his physicality, and he's got a good attitude.

I agree with sending him down, but lets not write him off yet. I think people are putting too high of hopes on Gardiner now, but it's nice to have the REAL team back (Lupul, Frattin, Reimer, and Gardiner)- lets see what they're made of.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I like the move, he knows what he needs to work on from his experience playing big NHL minutes against top opposition, let him work on it in the AHL instead of refining what he already knew he was good at. He might top out at top-4 instead of bottom paring now with the right coaching from Eakins.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Carlyle bares some responsibility for Holzer becoming a whipping boy around here. Holzer had no business being thrown to the wolves at this stage of his career with the minutes he was logging and the opponents he was facing on a regular basis. Especially with the likes of Liles, Komisarek, and Gardiner waiting in the wings.
Completely agree.

The amount of bashing he received by members of this fanbase is absurd and a sad example of how quick we are to turn on people in Toronto with little regard to any other factors that may have impacted a players performance/situation.

With that said, I think this is the right move, I expect to see an improved Holzer back in the Leafs lineup sometime. I think this NHL experience will benefit him longterm.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Completely agree.

The amount of bashing he received by members of this fanbase is absurd and a sad example of how quick we are to turn on people in Toronto with little regard to any other factors that may have impacted a players performance/situation.

With that said, I think this is the right move, I expect to see an improved Holzer back in the Leafs lineup sometime. I think this NHL experience will benefit him longterm.

This post.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
There is plenty of blame to go around, but blaming the fanbase is just silly. Carlyle put him in a bad situation and Holzer's play wasn't good enough. The fans being chipper and happy wasn't going to change the results. Just give people less to complain about.

In the end pretty sad that the only place we could put guys fresh from the AHL was with Phaneuf against the toughest competition in the league. It was just ridiculous and I feel for Holzer. But in the end it's not like he's going to turn into our elite guy anyways. Will be good for him to play against more reasonable competition for a while. Maybe once they clean up the defense a spot on the bottom pairings can get opened up for him.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada

agreed with this. hopefully we'll see him back up soon.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Holzer was probably in over his head in terms of playing in the NHL the past couple of months. As a personal prejudice, I hate the notion of big defensive defensemen and the whole philosophy of them, as well as trying to develop them, as it is a thankless, nasty task. They are at their most useful when you're loading up for a playoff run and you sign one as a UFA or trade a 3rd round pick for one.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
He had no business playing 20+ mins a night. At best he is a solid 5-6, it's a dream to think he is a top two. Kostka is being used the same way until recent. Put these guys in a chance to succeed long term, that's with sheltered mins in the 3rd pairing.

Problem with the defense is we have too many 5-6 guys playing top pairing mins.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Holzer was in over his head.

If I have to sit by and watch defensive mistakes occur due to inexperience, I'd rather it be Jake than Korb.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Holzer was in over his head.

If I have to sit by and watch defensive mistakes occur due to inexperience, I'd rather it be Jake than Korb.

Exactly this.

To the others, Holzer will never ever be a NHL D ever again, the mistakes he made were beyond rookie mistakes they were inept mindless dumb plays. He can tell his kids he once played a bit in the NHL but thats it. I cant think of a team who would even want him and the leafs have better coming up. The end.

Aulie was 10x the D this guy was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad