Recalled/Assigned: Holzer Sent Down to the Marlies

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Wish we kept Aulie.

Playing regular minutes on TB and Ashton.. well...

Yeah not gunna lie.... ----that one still hurts.
I was praising Ashton, thought it would be a pretty even D for Fwd swap.

He hasn't really found his stride even on a well equipped marlies team. I know he was injured, but it's getting pretty frustrating.....I'm sure he fully expected to be vying for a spot, however he hasn't done nearly enough to garner a 4th line look.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Aulie was drafted in 2007 and this is his first season playing fulltime. Thats not good and consider TB isn't doing great defensively. He is averaging 12 minutes(most likely sheltered minutes) and is second worst in +/-.

Ashton was drafted in 2009, so was Kadri and Kadri is now just breaking out. Give Ashton a year or two.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Aulie was drafted in 2007 and this is his first season playing fulltime. Thats not good and consider TB isn't doing great defensively. He is averaging 12 minutes(most likely sheltered minutes) and is second worst in +/-.

Ashton was drafted in 2009, so was Kadri and Kadri is now just breaking out. Give Ashton a year or two.

agreed. we were dealing of position of strength for weakness + i heard Aulie and Phaneuf didn't get along + Ashton is going to be a good grinding 3rd liner. if we drafted him in the 1st round instead of trading for him i think people would be a lot higher on him.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
agreed. we were dealing of position of strength for weakness + i heard Aulie and Phaneuf didn't get along + Ashton is going to be a good grinding 3rd liner. if we drafted him in the 1st round instead of trading for him i think people would be a lot higher on him.

Aulie is playing on a pretty weak back end in Tampa. And he's only averaging about 13 minutes a game, so essentially he's playing a Fraser/Franson role. I guess you could make the argument that he should still be on the Leafs, but I would make that trade again.

Carter Ashton is a big guy that's going to need developing. If the Leafs see the potential in this guy that has been there since junior, then its going to take some time. And you have to look at it from the viewpoint that he's never really put up points in each level that he's played. 70 points in junior isn't that much at all. He has had injury problems in the AHL, so I'm not to worried about where he's at. I think another year or 2 and he'll be fine.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ashton aside Aulie is still playing 13 nhl minutes to the 0 we are currently getting from his apparent replacement in Holzer. This while old fiberglass eye sits in a press box and displayed nothing but solid play this year.

Maybe coaches go senile by the time they are hired here, maybe we need someone younger like Eakins, I am just not sure. I was first to post fire wilson hire carlyle and am an obvious supporter but right now I cant say I am too impressed what with comments like "call me strange but I thought Russians play better against Russians, its a thing I believe" and the the way he is using Grabo.

Last edited:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Holzer will be ok. But he was being sued in the wrong types of roles. He is clearly not at this point a top 4 defenseman. He would probably be ok as a 5-6-7 guy.

Carlyle is just drunk with some of his coaching decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Grabovski a 4th line center, and puts Colton Orr centering Phil Kessel, and Fraser McClaren.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Holzer will be ok. But he was being sued in the wrong types of roles. He is clearly not at this point a top 4 defenseman. He would probably be ok as a 5-6-7 guy.

Carlyle is just drunk with some of his coaching decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Grabovski a 4th line center, and puts Colton Orr centering Phil Kessel, and Fraser McClaren.
He hasn't moved Bozak yet, and Kessel is now lighting it up. Exaggerate much?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He hasn't moved Bozak yet, and Kessel is now lighting it up. Exaggerate much?

At a deficit, who cares if that line scores 100 and is on for 120 GA, the line has been outscored since its inception and the last time I checked in hockey you need to score more then scored against to win.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
At a deficit, who cares if that line scores 100 and is on for 120 GA, the line has been outscored since its inception and the last time I checked in hockey you need to score more then scored against to win.

I agree with this.

It's great for Kessel to be scoring so much, but he gets scored on too much to really be a valuable piece to a team.

You can blame the D and G, but over three years seeing him constantly being the worst on the team for allowing goalies is brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad