Confirmed with Link: Holy Crap, They Actually Make a Move! (Guentzel and Ty Smith to Carolina for Bunting + Ponomaryov + Koivunen + Lucius + Conditional 2024 2nd)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think for franchises that moved in the mid-to-late 90s, it's actually really nice to be able to differentiate records as needed. I think it's a bit of an advantage sometimes over teams that existed forever in one iteration. The game from forever ago until the mid 90s feels pretty irrelevant to the game after in a lot of ways. It's nice to be able to look at things in an only Canes context sometimes because it feels much more apples to apples than worrying about what records some guys set in the late 70s-early 90s. But there are times where looking at the whole picture makes sense and is fun too.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
oh baby

1711035803268.png

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Reactions: bleedgreen

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Well it gets confusing if another team went there, but no team is ever going there which makes it a poor attempt to dismiss the conversation. I’m not attempted to make you or anyone give a crap. Just pointing out avoiding the topic doesn’t actually make it go away.
It doesn’t get confusing whatsoever. Team records, history, accomplishments is historically tied with the city/region, across all 4 major sports. Not the lineage of the franchise ownership.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It doesn’t get confusing whatsoever. Team records, history, accomplishments is historically tied with the city/region, across all 4 major sports. Not the lineage of the franchise ownership.
Really? So Johnny Unitas is the greatest Ravens QB ever?

This is just a weird stance to take. There are so many variations. It's complicated, like the Titans wearing the old Oilers jerseys against the Texans complicated.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Of course Canes fans want to distance themselves from their own franchise, you’ve been fighting with people for your identity the whole time. You guys have a pretty huge chip on your shoulder about the topic. Of course I’m a biased Whalers fan. No one in sports avoids the teams past. Here in Colorado they always recognize things in a “franchise” way. There’s no straight just Avs records. All records include the Nordiques. They’ll keep stats on things post move but that’s not the record. Same with all the other teams I’ve seen in hockey, I can’t speak to the other sports but I suspect it’s the same there. While I’m sure as a group we’d love to do it different here….no one actually does. It’s fine you choose to act like it didn’t happen, everyone has their right to do that but that doesn’t make it actually so.

Having Whaler nights and selling the jerseys, celebrating the past for fun and to make a lot of money but then turning around and saying nothing existed before 97? Curious.

I am not trying to say "Ron Francis wasnt a hurricane" or "his stats are irrelevant." My point is, I dont really care how many points he scored when Rod and Eric won us our only Cup.

Rod may not have scored as many points as Ron, but when you say "Greatest" I like to substitute the word "paragon."

And who is the paragon of hurricanes hockey? Rod Brind'amour. There really is no question about it anymore.

I will always appreciate what Ron did for us, both as a player and as a GM. I do wish it couldve ended on a better note, but Rod has given us something we lacked for the entire decade of darkness and that is culture of winning.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
"greatest hurricane/whaler/whatever" debate aside, this all started with the ridiculous notion that Kuzy is "notably better than Aho offensively." What a completely absurd take that is. They have very different skillsets offensively but Aho by pretty much every single measure is considerably ahead of Kuzy offensively. The most glaring one being him having 72 more goals in 144 less games. Only 30 less career points in those 144 less games.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
From a Pens beat writer for the Athletic:

“From everything I’ve heard, Jake is happy in Raleigh and excited about a potential Stanley Cup run. But he’s not planning on signing a contract anytime soon. I think he wants to head to July 1 as a free agent. Who could blame him?”

Lends some credence to the rumor he wanted to get to 7/1 all along. I think the Canes still try their best to re-sign him, but won’t be surprised at all if he hits ufa.

Seems like it’d be smart to try and get some deals done in the few weeks leading up to the playoffs, but I doubt they will and also doubt the players want that distraction.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
From a Pens beat writer for the Athletic:

“From everything I’ve heard, Jake is happy in Raleigh and excited about a potential Stanley Cup run. But he’s not planning on signing a contract anytime soon. I think he wants to head to July 1 as a free agent. Who could blame him?”

Lends some credence to the rumor he wanted to get to 7/1 all along. I think the Canes still try their best to re-sign him, but won’t be surprised at all if he hits ufa.
He's been here a week right? I think that's a little early for anyone moving to a new location, new job, or new neighborhood, to actually decide if they are willing to stay long term. I mean I'm sure he feels that way now, and maybe that doesn't change, but if its going to it would tale a little more time than a few weeks.

Reactions: Wolfpuck

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I am not trying to say "Ron Francis wasnt a hurricane" or "his stats are irrelevant." My point is, I dont really care how many points he scored when Rod and Eric won us our only Cup.

Rod may not have scored as many points as Ron, but when you say "Greatest" I like to substitute the word "paragon."

And who is the paragon of hurricanes hockey? Rod Brind'amour. There really is no question about it anymore.

I will always appreciate what Ron did for us, both as a player and as a GM. I do wish it couldve ended on a better note, but Rod has given us something we lacked for the entire decade of darkness and that is culture of winning.
Again, I didn’t have any skin in the RF being the best Hurricane of all time conversation. SvechH said something about the past before 97 not mattering and I replied to that aspect only. I don’t have the bandwidth today for that argument!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad