Value of: Holtby to Philadelphia

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
A lot, if only because any team in the metro is going to have to pay up even more. You're competing with the Caps for one of those hard to get playoff spots. I just don't see him being dealt to a metro team directly.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
This is not reactionary at all, nope not at all
we Flyers fans are perpetually discussing who we can get as a decent goalie, month after month, season after season, like Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the hill, only to see it fall back down, again and again...

Reactions: GAGLine

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not worth it. Just accept that our goaltending probably won't be great for another year.

Bingo. rushing things is what got us into the mess we are just now coming out of. I dont like being humiliated by the pens any more than anyone else, but Holtby isnt winning that game for us when the whole team just looked lazy.

Accept that we wont be that great for another year or two.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
we Flyers fans are perpetually discussing who we can get as a decent goalie, month after month, season after season, like Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the hill, only to see it fall back down, again and again...

If it's sisyphus, you'll never get rid of it. Maybe you got it from Garth Snow? He never goes away either.

Reactions: Grebinator

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It did take last night for someone to say we needed Holtby right now, though.

Or maybe it only became a possibility when the Caps went with a different goalie for Game 1, therefore suggesting that he’s firmly their back up now and it’s not a temporary demotion?

Evergreen

I actually think this would be a good move for the Flyers. Holtby only has 2 years left on his deal after this one, which lines up pretty well with the timeline for Carter Hart to potentially step in.

Price would probably be a 1st and a solid prospect. Flyers would have to include Elliott or Neuvirth in the deal as well.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I actually think this would be a good move for the Flyers. Holtby only has 2 years left on his deal after this one, which lines up pretty well with the timeline for Carter Hart to potentially step in.

Price would probably be a 1st and a solid prospect. Flyers would have to include Elliott or Neuvirth in the deal as well.

Caps can't take a goalie back - cap issues. Unload one of them in a separate trade, as adding them to this one is a big net negative for the Caps.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Optimally, we'll let Mrazek go, and trade Neuvirth and some other pieces for a veteran guy with one year on his contract. That slides Elliott down to backup, Hart/Sandstrom can be our pairing for LV, and Hexy can decide what to do about Stolarz/Lyon. (Maybe Sandstrom starts the year in Reading, and one of Stolarz/Lyon can share duties with Hart in LV.)

Then, hopefully Hart will be lights out, will come up to Philly late in the year, and Sandstrom can take over his slot in LV.

Adding a goalie with more than one year on his deal throws a massive monkey wrench into what seems like the correct timeline for building up to Hart starting in 2020, and Sandstrom joining him in 2021.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine the Flyers would have to pay a steep premium for the Caps to move Braden Holtby within the division.

I don't think it'd be worth the price for the Flyers... regardless of how bad of a joke their goaltending is.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Optimally, we'll let Mrazek go, and trade Neuvirth and some other pieces for a veteran guy with one year on his contract. That slides Elliott down to backup, Hart/Sandstrom can be our pairing for LV, and Hexy can decide what to do about Stolarz/Lyon. (Maybe Sandstrom starts the year in Reading, and one of Stolarz/Lyon can share duties with Hart in LV.)

Then, hopefully Hart will be lights out, will come up to Philly late in the year, and Sandstrom can take over his slot in LV.

Adding a goalie with more than one year on his deal throws a massive monkey wrench into what seems like the correct timeline for building up to Hart starting in 2020, and Sandstrom joining him in 2021.

Two years wouldnt be terrible.

Goalie/Elliott this year, Hart in AHL
Goalie/Hart the following, Sandstrom in AHL
Hart/Sandstrom NHL.

While i'd love for Hart to come in and be lights out, having a year as a 1B in the NHL wouldnt hurt him either, with a veteran doing a 60/40 split, or something of the like.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Or maybe it only became a possibility when the Caps went with a different goalie for Game 1, therefore suggesting that he’s firmly their back up now and it’s not a temporary demotion?

There's nothing firm about those 2 goalies' positioning on the depth chart.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well, we do. He wouldn’t be a backup here and we have the cap space for two years easily. He’s a marked step up from any of our existing pack and he’s probably available.

And you have to trade more than you want for a very expensive goalie. Not worth it.

Just be patient -- this team isn't losing because of Elliot. He's a part of it, but there's so much more going wrong. Subpar goalies win Cups all the time if they have a team with depth and talent -- don't get too focused on goaltending when there's massive holes everywhere.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd imagine the Flyers would have to pay a steep premium for the Caps to move Braden Holtby within the division.

I don't think it'd be worth the price for the Flyers... regardless of how bad of a joke their goaltending is.

That's funny coming from the team with the already breaking down Corey Schneider signed for another four years at $6m. Even Elliott had better numbers than him in 17-18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad