Speculation: Holl's next contract

Will the Leafs re-sign or let walk?

• Total voters

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Holl's ticket was punched when we traded for McCabe. Holl probably gets 3 x 2.5m on the market, and some middling team will be thrilled to have a guy who can play 20 minutes a night and not get completely caved. If Joel Edmundson gets interest, Holl certainly will.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really hoping the Leafs finally permanently fix 1RHD and stop using ill-fitting bandaids like we have.

Don’t hate Holl but his presence gets in the way of Liljegren, Timmins, and Niemala partly because Keefe can’t stop himself from being an idiot and overusing him at their expense, and for things that are over his skill set.

Someone else can pay him $3-4 million, and we can allocate those funds to improving our team and maybe finally bring in a real 1RHD, and shift Brodie back to LHD to cover Gio’s inevitable decline now that Sandin is gone.

Good luck Hollsy!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Holl's ticket was punched when we traded for McCabe. Holl probably gets 3 x 2.5m on the market, and some middling team will be thrilled to have a guy who can play 20 minutes a night and not get completely caved. If Joel Edmundson gets interest, Holl certainly will.
For 2.5 you don't think the Leafs would retain him?

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019

I would hope they walk away at 2.5 million. Like @LeafGrief said, McCabe really makes Holl redundant.

It would be different if there was no one else internally that could fill a spot. But Toronto has a number of young guys who deserve playing time. Timmins and Niemala specifically.

If the team is lacking on the blueline by next TDL, then you can always add a Holl/Schenn clone for a 3rd rounder or less.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They might, but I think they'd rather have the roster space for some different players. It's less of a cost issue and more of us having enough other defensemen already.

We have:
Rielly-Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins

plus any other depth signings like bringing back Schenn, Benn, a UFA, or a promising youngster. I love a defenseman who can play 20 minutes for 2.5m, but the right side is solid with Brodie and Lilly, and the team generally uses the 3rd pairing minutes as soft minutes to focus on development of a young player.

I'm happy as a clam if we do bring him back, I just don't expect it.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
They might, but I think they'd rather have the roster space for some different players. It's less of a cost issue and more of us having enough other defensemen already.

We have:
Rielly-Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins

plus any other depth signings like bringing back Schenn, Benn, a UFA, or a promising youngster. I love a defenseman who can play 20 minutes for 2.5m, but the right side is solid with Brodie and Lilly, and the team generally uses the 3rd pairing minutes as soft minutes to focus on development of a young player.

I'm happy as a clam if we do bring him back, I just don't expect it.
I can see Giordano being our #7 next year at age 40.

Rielly-Holl*
McCabe-Liljegren
Brodie-Timmins
/Giordano

An upgrade on Holl would be nice, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him still here.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While the ceiling really shouldn't exceed 4M, I might also be surprised by a floor of less than 3M. Regardless of any amount, I still anticipate the team walking away due to having a right side D of Brodie, Liljegren and Timmins.

Reactions: banks

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The question is what pair would Holl play at 31 years old go forward. Most can at least agree that he isn't getting better and the bottom 2 will have either Timmins, Lil, or Niemela coming up within 2 years. Are people content with Holl as a top 4 D. I sure ain't.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How much will this polarizing player get this summer?
Will the Leafs pay it or let him walk?

I don't believe our new GM next season will have any interest re-signing him with the intent of making the Leafs better. :wg:

Ever since our current GM:dunce: chose to protect Holl at the expense of and the loss of Jared McCann to Seattle in the expansion draft it makes my blood boil. :madfire:

I just want this whole nonsense behind us so the healing can begin, which begins with Holl's departure.

FWIW: Jared McCann since being lost because he foolishly wasn't protected has produced 58 goals and 100 points over the course of the last 2 seasons. That would look excellent in our line-up.

1678390958559.png

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Holl is likely to get between $3.-$4.5 mil on the open market.

Feel free to peruse the UFA list, and let me know who is actually an upgrade for a number we can afford.

You say league min, I say minimum $3 mil. Closest person wins, buys the other beer.

I don't believe our new GM next season will have any interest re-signing him with the intent of making the Leafs better. :wg:

Ever since our current GM:dunce: chose to protect Holl at the expense of and the loss of Jared McCann to Seattle in the expansion draft it makes my blood boil. :madfire:

I just want this whole nonsense behind us so the healing can begin, which begins with Holl's departure.

FWIW: Jared McCann since being lost because he foolishly wasn't protected has produced 58 goals and 100 points over the course of the last 2 seasons. That would look excellent in our line-up.

View attachment 665978
My condolences for the pain you've incurred. It must be hard dealing with this.

When Dubas and co. continue managing the team, next year, and well into the future, I wish the best in your attempt to cope.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Someone will likely pay him 3+ million. I don't see us signing him at that price for a variety of reasons.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Slim pickings. Mayfield but he probably gets more than Holl.

It is pretty slim pickings. I think they'll give Timmins the shot to take the spot, and either make trades if necessary, or extend Schenn and run a platoon at the bottom.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Regardless of the distaste for the player, Keefe appears to be extremely fond of him.

Dubas will not make the decision in isolation.

Again, it really depends on how much he's asking for.

NOTE: You didn't ask if we want him, but if the Leafs would retain him.

Unless something happened I'm unaware of, we don't get a vote on who is or is not signed/re-signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad