Post-Game Talk: Holland should have grabbed a Walker

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Ryan looked good for his age, but you could see he was slowing down and they signed him 2 years

They said they are interested in signing Henrique as well.

We shall see how it goes. Not too impressed by Henrique so far but maybe his head isn’t into the game with the newborn (understandable). Hopefully he pops off in the playoffs when the secondary scoring becomes more crucial.

Reactions: Duke74

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Should have grabbed Ovechkin by the nuts. He's torturing the Flames as we speak.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Also the whining about the deadline is silly, nobody was giving us a Walker and taking Ceci (for his play) and his extra year of contract. Assuming otherwise ignores the market, nobody was taking 2025 cap back, and no amount of reasonable added assets makes opposing GMs want to do that.
What are you babbling about? Walker was traded for a 1st and Johansen. Guess how many years the latter has left on his contract?

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well it'll either be due to injury or Knob and Coffee getting tired of watching Ceci and/or Vinny get beat like rented mules by a speedy forecheck.

Personally I think Stecher gets into the lineup next game and just runs with it; And then the discourse around the team for the next few weeks will be: "Ah! Nurse is so much better when he's paired with speed and someone that can actually handle the puck and not treat it like a grenade. Who would have guessed?"

So how do you get to Broberg-Stecher? My guess: If Broberg gets in, I can see the team being hesitant to have one of their lesser defencemen playing their offside without proper insolation. Thus Stecher drops to the 3rd pairing, so both guys can play their natural side, and then Nurse is tasked to play his offside or look after someone doing so.

Basically, it goes through this line of questioning...

Do I like Kulak looking after Broberg playing his offside? Ehhh.
Do I like Broberg looking after Kulak on his offside? Ehhh, but worse.

Do I like Nurse looking after Kulak playing his offside? Better.
Do I like Kulak looking after Nurse on his offside? I can actually see this one working.
The Kulak/Nurse pairing (with Nurse on his off side) is the best scenario.
The problem for me is that none of the above scenarios really inspire a lot of confidence.
I am not all that confident oin Nurse on his proper side let alone his off side.

I cant really see a scenario (outside of injuries) where both Stecher and Broberg are utilized in the top 6.
It just gets too messy IMO.
I do however see a scenario where Stecher temporarily fills in for a struggling Deharnais or Ceci.
I would actually like to see what that looks like. Not just for a a game or 2 but for a sequence of games.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Kulak/Nurse pairing (with Nurse on his off side) is the best scenario.
The problem for me is that none of the above scenarios really inspire a lot of confidence.
I am not all that confident oin Nurse on his proper side let alone his off side.

I cant really see a scenario (outside of injuries) where both Stecher and Broberg are utilized in the top 6.
It just gets too messy IMO.
I do however see a scenario where Stecher temporarily fills in for a struggling Deharnais or Ceci.
I would actually like to see what that looks like. Not just for a a game or 2 but for a sequence of games.

IF (and it's a big if) Stecher comes in and plays really well, I really, really hope that this team gets over the politics of "can't scratch Ceci!" for no reason other than he's been here longer than the others. He's been playing f***ing shit hockey for the better part of two years now, it is what it is.

Desharnais is invaluable on the PK and is frankly a better player than Ceci at this time, especially defensively so I don't see him as the guy to come out. Sadly he probably would be for no reason other than "Ceci veteran!"

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IF (and it's a big if) Stecher comes in and plays really well, I really, really hope that this team gets over the politics of "can't scratch Ceci!" for no reason other than he's been here longer than the others. He's been playing f***ing shit hockey for the better part of two years now, it is what it is.

Desharnais is invaluable on the PK and is frankly a better player than Ceci at this time, especially defensively so I don't see him as the guy to come out. Sadly he probably would be for no reason other than "Ceci veteran!"
I think that Deharnais would fail playing with Nurse long term as well and (like Ceci) it wouldnt be his fault.
The reason is when a team expects that a 4/5/6 dman is going to play long term as a #2 dman is a recipe for failure. Especially when his partner is going to be Darnell Nurse.
I would like to see Ceci in a 4/5 role which is where he should be.
Holland has f*cked this defence up so that means Knoblauch has to play a dman way above where he should be playing him.
There really isnt an ideal scenario on D because of the lack of top 4 depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad