Post-Game Talk: Holland should have grabbed a Walker

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Not really. The Oilers are the 10th place team in a 32 team league playing like a 10th place team.

If that's good enough for you then you got nothing to complain about.

Those who are not satisfied with the team should voice their opinions vigorously.
The only thing that matters to this team right now is game #83. Yes, it would be nice to lock down home ice but we need to just make the dance and then get hot. Look at the Panthers last year and compare them to the Bruins last season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really. The Oilers are the 10th place team in a 32 team league playing like a 10th place team.

If that's good enough for you then you got nothing to complain about.

Those who are not satisfied with the team should voice their opinions vigorously.

Mainly owing to a poor first 11 games and not having played as many games as other teams. They are the no.1 team in the league since Nov 11th. That said regular season success isn’t what we are concerned with at this point.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Mainly owing to a poor first 11 games and not having played as many games as other teams. They are the no.1 team in the league since Nov 11th. That said regular season success isn’t what we are concerned with at this point.
Yes, they are better than their record. But then they may have been better than Colorado and Las Vegas in years past. It's a competitive league, and once you make playoffs, anything can happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No doubt Manson is a tough player and battled Desharnais hard, but I was about to respond that you can get hurt in a fight without being the one getting punched and then the broken finger tweet was just released.
I wasnt aware and wrongly assumed it was something else.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
For those bitching about the reffing, as sad as it sounds, this was as good as you are going to get when facing the Avs. One PP each is a massive insult to the Av's in today's NHL. Don't expect future games against them to be even up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly this. A lot of the easy teams we play and beat don't matter. This one does and AV's have our number and served notice they still do. The Oilers were rested in this one, only 2 games over last week, and hadn't played since Wednesday, and were playing at home with every advantage. Oilers also have everybody in lineup, nobody out due to injury.

You could tell the Oilers really wanted this one but that the AV's took the game over. The AV's started to dominate in 2nd period and had edge in 3rd. They executed crisper, defended better, had levels of D and were quicker to pucks. As if this wasn't enough Mackinnon was better than McD. I'd be the last person inclined to say that.

Nah he's a good player. Still fitting in and finding chemistry but he was making plays, even yesterday against arguably top team in West. Henrique also physical and with an edge. he does a lot of things so well you hardly notice. Quick decisions, quick crisp passes. Talent on full display. Let it happen. Give it time.

Yeah this is a game both teams had circled on their calendar the moment the schedule was released. And the Oilers came up short.

As for Henrique. I just don’t see it. Hope you’re right. But you trade a 1st for a rental you need him to be an impact guy. Not someone who has to feel his way out. Meanwhile a guy like Toffoli who the Jets got for less than we gave up to get Henrique now has 3 goals and 4 points in 4 games with them. I’ll be surprised if Henrique scores 3 goals with the Oilers period.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Their record against playoff teams is concerning. 7-8-1 against west playoff teams.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
35-9-3 since Nov 24th & some posters want to make some really drastic changes?

I'm 100% confident that if this team won the Stanley Cup this season some posters reaction would not be unbridled joy but would be:
Yeah they won but.......
they shoulda traded <insert players name I don't like> because they won despite him & he now undeservedly gets his name on the cup.
or some other nonsense.

I'm convinced there are a few posters on this board that really don't care how the team does & just look for things trying to validate their own facts/opinions so they can somehow claim to be correct.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Their record against playoff teams is concerning. 7-8-1 against west playoff teams.
This is the record that matters most post bad streak. I don't know what it is after our shit start

Must be ok?

Combine that with Dallas and wpg goaling us at home

It probably a pretty good record

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah this is a game both teams had circled on their calendar the moment the schedule was released. And the Oilers came up short.

As for Henrique. I just don’t see it. Hope you’re right. But you trade a 1st for a rental you need him to be an impact guy. Not someone who has to feel his way out. Meanwhile a guy like Toffoli who the Jets got for less than we gave up to get Henrique now has 3 goals and 4 points in 4 games with them. I’ll be surprised if Henrique scores 3 goals with the Oilers period.
I don’t know what the demand was for Henrique but I wonder if the Oilers could have got the same package for something like a 2nd and a 4th if they waited.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is the record that matters most post bad streak. I don't know what it is after our shit start

Must be ok?

Combine that with Dallas and wpg goaling us at home

It probably a pretty good record

5 of those 8 losses would be under Woodcroft I think.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
6 of those losses happened when we were a shit show.
Fair enough, I hadn't thought of that.

Regardless, the roster holes the Oilers have seem more glaring than most of the other playoff teams (Ceci pairing and 3rd line namely) and these freaking coaches need to separate McDavid and Draisaitl and keep it that way outside of special circumstances like right after a penalty kill, a late period offensive zone shift or against a tired team after an icing shift and 6 on 5.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
5 of those 8 losses would be under Woodcroft I think.
Vancouver X3
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg(inOT)
They also lost to Philly & NYR who are in a playoff position in the East.
The only non-playoff team(as of today) they lost to under Woodcroft was the debacle in San Jose that got him fired.
edit: they also lost to minny who's not in a playoff position.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yeeeah. Probably lucky to get a point.

Yeah exactly, this is why I don't know why I took heat from multiple posters about saying that the Avs took this game over after the 1st period and were the better team for the majority of it. Those numbers matched the eye test.
Whatever the Oilers do, the Avs do it better. I don't think there's a big spread between the teams but the Avs would certainly be the favorite if the two met up, it's the difference between a team with championship pedigree and a team looking to get to that level.

Also, the Avs are one of the few teams that have a better top end trio than the Oilers (MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar vs. McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard), that's a problem when the Oilers rarely win a depth matchup although they somehow did yesterday which is an extreme rarity. The Oilers best players have to be better than the opposition best players every game to really have a chance in a playoff series and that rarely happens against the Avs which is what makes them the Oilers toughest matchup.

WhyYouHaveToBeMad

Aug 26, 2018
And you think they didn't try? Do all our opponents crucify their players when they allow McDavid and Draisaitl to go on 2 on 1s in OT? It's a fast game and OT is a different beast. Oilers were on attack and odd man rushes are common. McDrai just got caught up ice with 5 seconds to go and puck going in a corner.

I never said they didn't try. So you don't think Bouchard tried? All i am saying is there is shared blame for that goal not all on Bouchard.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

If they want Henrique to score like Toffoli does, they need to put him on our scoring lines. The third line once again is the downfall of this team.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If they want Henrique to score like Toffoli does, they need to put him on our scoring lines. The third line once again is the downfall of this team.
He wouldn’t score like Toffoli does even then. They are bad comparisons.
For Henrique to be successful in his role here he needs to have positive analytics and produce at a high end third line rate. He is not even close to doing either at the moment.
It’s insane that we have spent a 1st to improve our third line and it’s objectively not even a good 4th line right now. Not all Henrique fault.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
We are going to need Kane scoring if we are hoping for playoff success, and that’s looking like it’s not going to happen in the bottom 6. Need to bite the bullet and get him back in top 6 mix before long to regain the chemistry.

Reactions: SupremeTeam16

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t disagree at all. But that clearly doesn’t seem to have been the plan with Henrique.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And Bouchard has to play with intensity !

We aren't going to beat anyone in the playoffs unless he does.

I worry much more about our other 2 RHD that can't move a puck and struggle chasing the play in our end every night. It was Ceci that played a staring role in our demise against Vegas, being played like a fiddle by Vegas forwards. He sure plays intense though, Ceci is a super star at looking like he is trying hard all the time. Only he is accomplishing next to nothing.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We are going to need Kane scoring if we are hoping for playoff success, and that’s looking like it’s not going to happen in the bottom 6. Need to bite the bullet and get him back in top 6 mix before long to regain the chemistry.
There is some logic to this...especially in the playoffs.
Cant be on Draisaitls line though so maybe RNH goes down to Draisaitls line and Kane moves up with McDavid. Foegele and his speed moves down to the 3rd line.
Shuffling some left wings.
The only thing about that is that it means 3 centres on Drais line which is a little unusual.

Reactions: bellagiobob

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
For those bitching about the reffing, as sad as it sounds, this was as good as you are going to get when facing the Avs. One PP each is a massive insult to the Av's in today's NHL. Don't expect future games against them to be even up.
They're complaining on the avs board about all the "missed calls" that didn't go their way, lol.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad