HOH Top 60 Wingers of All Time

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I don't know, I am not a huge fan of "would have, could have" theoretical points, games, whatever. I mean if that case let's add around 350 games to Jagr for all the seasons he was in KHL or locked out (too lazy to do the math, might even be more).

I dont think theres any "could have, would have" points here. Richard's career saw him play seasons with 50, 60 and then 70 games. Each time he made the transition to a longer schedule seemlessly. It's not his fault the NHL decided to have 70 games instead of 82 games. Are you going to say Jagr's 1994-95 season where he won the Art Ross with 78 points in 48 games was less valuable than Damphousse's 1995-96 season where he scored 94 points in 80 games but was 20th in scoring? I mean, Jagr could have become very tired or gotten injured or died after the 48 game mark. My thoughts on this? It's not really Jagr's fault they had a lockout.

In Hull's case, there is absolutely no "could have, would have" here. The WHA was a step below the NHL but definitely a step above the KHL. 411 games in the WHA is absolutely meaningful. We're not talking about 411 games in the AHL here.

I dont have any problems if you add KHL games to his longevity since the KHL is a pretty meaningful league. If Jagr was spending his time in the Asian Hockey league then it might be a different story.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
You're forgetting that in a 6 team league, there are only 5 PP spots per team, 3-4 per team for forward.

Jagr would rather retire than play on a line where he isn't the focal point of the offense.

He's not top 6 or bust, he's "run the offense through me" or bust. There's a reason he's performing much better with NJ and Florida than he did with Boston and Dallas.

I have not seen many teams that consistently only use one powerplay formation. Jagr could in my opinion probably have played on a second line and on a second powerplay formation in an all-canadian 6-team league. Qualitywise at least, whether he would have wanted to is another question. But Jagr playing on a line with Giroux in Philadelphia shows that he could play on a line without being the focal point on his line. I agree that it is possible that Jagr would not have wanted to play in a secondary role on his team. But I personally believe that he probably could have if he wanted to.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have not seen many teams that consistently only use one powerplay formation. Jagr could in my opinion probably have played on a second line and on a second powerplay formation in an all-canadian 6-team league. Qualitywise at least, whether he would have wanted to is another question. But Jagr playing on a line with Giroux in Philadelphia shows that he could play on a line without being the focal point on his line. I agree that it is possible that Jagr would not have wanted to play in a secondary role on his team. But I personally believe that he probably could have if he wanted to.

There were no regular second powerplay formations for most of the Original 6 era. Shifts were longer, so the (1st) PP unit played the full 2 minutes.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
I dont think theres any "could have, would have" points here. Richard's career saw him play seasons with 50, 60 and then 70 games. Each time he made the transition to a longer schedule seemlessly. It's not his fault the NHL decided to have 70 games instead of 82 games. Are you going to say Jagr's 1994-95 season where he won the Art Ross with 78 points in 48 games was less valuable than Damphousse's 1995-96 season where he scored 94 points in 80 games but was 20th in scoring? I mean, Jagr could have become very tired or gotten injured or died after the 48 game mark. My thoughts on this? It's not really Jagr's fault they had a lockout.

In Hull's case, there is absolutely no "could have, would have" here. The WHA was a step below the NHL but definitely a step above the KHL. 411 games in the WHA is absolutely meaningful. We're not talking about 411 games in the AHL here.

I dont have any problems if you add KHL games to his longevity since the KHL is a pretty meaningful league. If Jagr was spending his time in the Asian Hockey league then it might be a different story.

Definitely? I am going to disagree here.

As for the rest of post, I am not really sure what you guys are arguing here.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
In a 6-team league with all the best players in the world I agree (or I don´t agree with 0 percent but with that he would probably not be in the league). I mean for Jagr to be effective he should play on one of the first two (productive) lines. In a 6-team league there would be a total of 36 spots on the first two lines. As mentioned earlier Jagr is 44th in scoring from 11/12 until now. But based on this he is not that far away though. Especially since one of the players ahead of him in scoring is a defenceman so he is 43rd among forwards.

But in a 6-team league with only Canadian players I think that Jagr would have had a good chance of making a second line on one of the teams many of these years (technically he would of course not play as he is not Canadian but you probably understand what I mean). Only 26 Canadian players have outscored Jagr from 11/12 until today.

This context is very important.

Batis

Sep 17, 2014
Merida, Mexico
There were no regular second powerplay formations for most of the Original 6 era. Shifts were longer, so the (1st) PP unit played the full 2 minutes.

Oh sorry I thought you meant in a 6-team league in todays hockey. I agree with you that Jagr probably not would have wanted to play without any powerplay time. Which he most likely not would have got under those circumstances.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I really don't see anyone singing the praises of Larionov in 2002, Oates in 2003, or Andreychuk in 2004 all that much.

Decent is nice, but meaningless when talking about the top 4 wingers of all-time, IMO.

Agreed, and also agreed with all the posts you made today in this thread.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
20 years from now, nobody will care that Jagr had decent seasons in his 40s when ranking the best wingers (not that we should care today).It's like Chelios last few years with Detroit, it's cute but it doesn't make or break his legacy (at least when his legacy is in direct comparison with guys like Fetisov, Coffey, Robinson, Park and so on...)

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
You said I'm awarding Richard and Hull with hypothetical games played. I attempt to show you they're really not.

Fair enough, but I still believe the answer to the questions -

Who's played more hockey?

Who's played more elite level hockey?

is Jagr, all things considered, Jagr's KHL years, lockouts, Richard's shorter seasons, Hull's WHA years etc.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Average length careers are much higher today than they were 40-60 years ago, for what should be obvious reasons (more teams, better medical technology, more $$$ in hockey).

For example, in 1958-59, Maurice Richard was the oldest player in the NHL at the age of 37. He scored a respectable 38 points in 42 games, in a season when only 7 of the league's top scorers scored more than a point-per-game. He then played another season at the age of 38 before retiring.

14 of 106 players that played more than 20 games in 58-59 were 30 and older which is 13%

172 of 672 players in 2010-11 which is 25%

so what you say is true but most of these players aren't in their late 30's and early 40's which is specific to the case of Jagr since his return to the NHL.

Of all NHL players with seasons aged 39 and above, Jagr has the

best seasons.

the 80th is this current season and that's looking like it will end up as a top 20-50 one.

I'm not sure how much this should matter but that's on top of his 14 year prime (1 year interruption for the lockout) and look at the quality of competition here.

and the 7 year peak

Peak

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...c4comp=gt&c4val=&threshhold=5&order_by=points

1st in goals, assists, points and he is 30th in GP among the top 100 scorers.

Sure other top players had injuries over that time period but man quite a peak 7 years

Prime of 14 years

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...c4comp=gt&c4val=&threshhold=5&order_by=points

first in goals, assists and points once again

Since 10-11 it's just additional icing to his already great cake.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I really don't see anyone singing the praises of Larionov in 2002, Oates in 2003, or Andreychuk in 2004 all that much.

Decent is nice, but meaningless when talking about the top 4 wingers of all-time, IMO.

sure all things are meaningless unless we give them meaning.

Tat being said his regular season age 39 and above will have more meaning than his playoffs.

Larionov's age 41 playoffs is excellent for a role player, even more so considering his age.

We know what happened in NJ at the end of his career when he fell off the cliff at age 43 (he was still pretty goodd at age 42 though).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Context

Still in context Jagr's last 2 playoffs aged 39 and 40 are pretty decent compared to the (limited) field.

Yes context is important. Jagr's career and his post KHL career in the NHL is a prime example of context. Let's look at aging Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau and John Bucyk vs Jaromir Jagr in context.

Howe, Beliveau, Bucyk played in the context of the long shift era during their complete careers including their 39 year old or older careers. They had to have their complete game at all times including the playoffs. Jaromir Jagr played his entire career during the short shift era further protected by "Zone Starts" that mitigate the lack of speed and defensive liabilities he takes to the ice.

True Jaromir Jagr is a living textbook of proper offensive technique, near perfect to perfect body position for each situation in the offensive zone.

Still the main reason Jaromir Jagr hangs around as an offensive contributer is that he is willing to work cheap, in a relative sense - just like Chris Chelios did towards the end of his NHL career.Jagr's Cap hit is $3,500,000. Worthwhile on a young team. Same cap hit as Lars Eller and David Desharnais, average players at best but that is what the market dictates if a team wants to compete.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Yes context is important. Jagr's career and his post KHL career in the NHL is a prime example of context. Let's look at aging Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau and John Bucyk vs Jaromir Jagr in context.

The first 3 guys aged in a time when the rich and poor divide in the NHL was really huge post expansion and through the 70's with a really diluted NHL.

Pretty hard to say or even sugget that the first 3 have better context for their aging, if anything expansion really helped them extend their careers.

Howe, Beliveau, Bucyk played in the context of the long shift era during their complete careers including their 39 year old or older careers. They had to have their complete game at all times including the playoffs. Jaromir Jagr played his entire career during the short shift era further protected by "Zone Starts" that mitigate the lack of speed and defensive liabilities he takes to the ice.

Great idea...except it isn't true, since they have kept stats he is a 56.2/43.8 offensive zone start guy.

During his time in Florida over parts of 2 seasons right now it's been 47.8/52.2

True Jaromir Jagr is a living textbook of proper offensive technique, near perfect to perfect body position for each situation in the offensive zone.

Most observers would agree with this, his ability to protect the puck with his body is outstanding.

Still the main reason Jaromir Jagr hangs around as an offensive contributer is that he is willing to work cheap, in a relative sense - just like Chris Chelios did towards the end of his NHL career.Jagr's Cap hit is $3,500,000. Worthwhile on a young team. Same cap hit as Lars Eller and David Desharnais, average players at best but that is what the market dictates if a team wants to compete.

I think teams have him for several reasons, first and foremost being his offensive contributions and extremely professional work effort.

No idea on the 2 Habs comp there.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Context II

The first 3 guys aged in a time when the rich and poor divide in the NHL was really huge post expansion and through the 70's with a really diluted NHL.

Pretty hard to say or even sugget that the first 3 have better context for their aging, if anything expansion really helped them extend their careers.

Great idea...except it isn't true, since they have kept stats he is a 56.2/43.8 offensive zone start guy.

During his time in Florida over parts of 2 seasons right now it's been 47.8/52.2

Most observers would agree with this, his ability to protect the puck with his body is outstanding.

I think teams have him for several reasons, first and foremost being his offensive contributions and extremely professional work effort.

No idea on the 2 Habs comp there.

Beliveau and Howe were first line players until the end or into their forties. Bucyk was the 2nd line LW on the Bruins yet managed to outscore the first line LW at the age of 40, finished second on the teams in scoring. Since attrition (replacement happens from the bottom up) is talent driven, expansion or the WHA was not a factor.

http://therattrick.com/2015/11/09/florida-panthers-have-a-massive-zone-start-problem/

Explains the Florida zone start situation very well. Basically the team lacks offensive zone starts. Disproportionate number of neutral and defensive zone starts. So to simply get certain players on the ice, the coach has to start certain players in less than noptimal situations.

Extremely professional work effort. Would this apply to the neutral and defensive zones as well?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Isn't longevity one of the reasons Howe is regarded so highly?

I don't get it, how come longevity is part of the case for some players, but not for others.

Are you telling me that at this point it doesn't matter at all if Jagr strings together 3 more seasons of 50 plus points, this helps him 0 percent in his case against someone like Richard or Hull, who played 900 something and 1000 something games respectively?

in 2007, at the age of 34, jagr had his last relevant season if we're talking about the five greatest wingers to ever play hockey. that year, he finished 5th in assists, 8th in points. that made him a top ten scorer in seasons 14 years apart, which is impressive longevity.

but since then, his two best years have been in the 20s. 27, 33, 49, 73, 100, and as of today 54. gordie howe broke through as an all-star calibre player at the same age as jagr. in howe's 35+ seasons, he finished 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, and finally 9th at age 41. i'm not the first one to point this out, but maybe seeing the radically different placements shows you how they are two completely different kinds of longevity?

If that is your standard for adding to any players resume, then alot of HHOF type of players and indeed many on the top wingers, centers Dman lists had alot of "irrelevant" seasons then.

Sorry but when a player is leading a playoff team in scoring at age 43 it has to add to his resume.

Or leads his NHL team in scoring by 14 points at age 41 and was 27th overall in points.

I absolutely consider the past few years to have added to his case. Leading a team in scoring -- by 14 points! -- at age 41 is a significant achievement. Leading a team in scoring at age 43 is unprecedented. I don't see that as "longevity for longevity's sake".

of course jagr is adding to his resume in an absolute sense. anytime a guy steps onto the ice in an NHL arena, he adds to his legacy.

but when we are talking about jagr's place among the very best guys to ever play wing, it demeans him to talk about the years he was 27th in points after his long prime was over, and long after his magnificent peak. and it certainly demeans him to talk about the year he was in philly or new jersey.

27th in points... that's something we can say adds to selanne's legacy when we are debating selanne vs. jari kurri. we're not trying to compare jagr to kurri.

or another way of saying it: mark recchi's last years helped him. but they helped differentiate separate him from michel goulet. those last recchi years don't get him any closer to howe or hull or rocket... or jagr.

jagr won 5 scoring titles and finished 2nd two other times. jagr finished 5th in 2002 and that season diminishes his legacy, rather than bolstering it. jagr's standard is so high and he is so far and away beyond guys like selanne and kurri and recchi and goulet that finishing 27th means basically nothing to his legacy, relative to howe, hull, and rocket.

the only way these later years matter for jagr is to separate him from lafleur, who has a comparable peak but barely played and did nothing of note after 32. "relevant" re: lafleur, who i think most of us agree jagr is ahead of already anyway; "irrelevant" re: the number 9s.

actually, one more thing about this current jagr season specifically: it also shows intangibles that he rarely showed previously. it doesn't mean a lot relative to the best of the best, but if both he and the panthers keep this up, it means a little that jagr is both the most consistent producer on a 1st place team, but only because -- and this is the important part -- he is making the young guys better. he is getting the best out of barkov, he is making huberdeau better, i would guess that he is rubbing off on ekblad. that part matters, even if the pedestrian point total at an exceptional age doesn't.

and if someday barkov turns into kopitar crossed with getzlaf, like he looks at times like he might, then i think jagr will deserve credit for helping him exceed expectations on his offensive ceiling.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Leaving aside the Jagr discussion for a bit (since I don't think what Jagr is currently doing or has recently done has any impact on where he ranks), there are some players that might rise.

Hossa had a decent season + playoffs as a secondary player last year, whether that's enough for him to climb a spot or two is up for debate.

Ovechkin is always a player to watch, but comparing Ovechkin with the usuals (e.g. Bossy) is an ongoing debate that never really stops so it's not a discussion restricted to this thread.

The most interesting case is a player that isn't even on the list, namely Patrick Kane.Patrick Kane is not only a lock to make the list if we re-do it, he might climb a lot of spots, especially if he finishes the year with a Art Ross, possibly a Hart (or at least a strong Hart voting) and also possibly another good playoff run.Lots of ifs but none of this would be very surprising if it happened.

How does Kane look next to Alfredsson if he has such a year?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If that is your standard for adding to any players resume, then alot of HHOF type of players and indeed many on the top wingers, centers Dman lists had alot of "irrelevant" seasons then.

That is only my "standard" for adding to Jagr's resume relevant accolades to move him past Richard or Hull.

Basically what i'm saying is:

If you try and compare who ranks #1 between Hull, Richard and Jagr, how do you do it? You likely look at Jagr's insane peak years, his crazy prime, his career totals (yes hitting milestone numbers recently does help) and then you decide if that's good enough to beat Hull or Richard. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, everyone has an opinion.

But if your opinion is that "no", and you still have Hull/Richard above Jagr?

Well - my argument is that Jagr finishing 27th in the league at 41 years old, or leading his team in scoring, isn't enough to all of a sudden propel Jagr past Richard/Hull. It's really a minor accomplishment compared to everything else he's done in his career and everything else that Richard and Hull have done in theirs.

Unless Jagr does something truly special (such as i laid out in my last post) - this won't be enough to change his ranking much. Maybe if he plays for 7-8 years straight and keeps finishing top 30 in scoring, but if he does it only 1-2 years i don't think so.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
daniel sedin was 8th in points last year and has been top ten for most of this season so far, just sayin'.

Daniel statistically is really helping his case.

But it's always going to be a resume with 2 "asterisks or conditions attached" that voters ranking all time wingers will think about.

1) the twin factor and isolating him from Henrik (think Kurri with out Gretzky or Nichols without Wayne as well)

2) an overall really lousy playoff resume (and team accomplishments even more so) all things considered. Although alot of wingers and more modern players have this "problem."

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
That is only my "standard" for adding to Jagr's resume relevant accolades to move him past Richard or Hull.

Basically what i'm saying is:

If you try and compare who ranks #1 between Hull, Richard and Jagr, how do you do it? You likely look at Jagr's insane peak years, his crazy prime, his career totals (yes hitting milestone numbers recently does help) and then you decide if that's good enough to beat Hull or Richard. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, everyone has an opinion.

But if your opinion is that "no", and you still have Hull/Richard above Jagr?

Well - my argument is that Jagr finishing 27th in the league at 41 years old, or leading his team in scoring, isn't enough to all of a sudden propel Jagr past Richard/Hull. It's really a minor accomplishment compared to everything else he's done in his career and everything else that Richard and Hull have done in theirs.

Unless Jagr does something truly special (such as i laid out in my last post) - this won't be enough to change his ranking much. Maybe if he plays for 7-8 years straight and keeps finishing top 30 in scoring, but if he does it only 1-2 years i don't think so.

sorry but this sounds like a cop out to hold onto an weak position of already placing Hull and or Richard over Jagr

The VsX scores of 7 (or any years metric) has Jagr well ahead and the seasons outside of the VsX are really extremely in Jagr's favour.

this quote by vadim sharifijanov sadly sums up that position IMO

jagr won 5 scoring titles and finished 2nd two other times. jagr finished 5th in 2002 and that season diminishes his legacy, rather than bolstering it. jagr's standard is so high and he is so far and away beyond guys like selanne and kurri and recchi and goulet that finishing 27th means basically nothing to his legacy, relative to howe, hull, and rocket.

Seriously Jagr finished 5th in scoring in a 30 team league and that diminished his legacy?

One could write a book on how wrong that is.

How are Hull and Richard treated when they finished 5th or lower?

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this quote by vadim sharifijanov sadly sums up that postion IMO

Seriously Jagr finished 5th in scoring in a 30 team league and that diminished his legacy?

How are Hull and Rrichard treated when they finished 5th or lower?

context, man, not just counting raw accomplishments. he was at his peak, coming off four straight scoring titles. he had a garbage year by his standards and should have done better. because, again, the standard he set and his historical peers are so high.

no dfferent from bobby hull's '61 season: 5th in goals and 13th in points, but sandwiched between two art rosses and goals titles, including tying rocket's single season record, that is a failure, not an accomplishment. it's his worst season in a 13 year stretch. nobody's pointing to '61 hull when weighing hull vs. rocket vs. jagr.

to restate the point: if you're comparing him to teemu selanne, you can say "jagr finished 5th in scoring in washington while not even trying" and that's a plus for him. he can put up a prime selanne-type season without trying, which is impressive. if you're comparing him to bobby hull and rocket richard, you ask "well why wasn't he trying then?"

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
sorry but this sound slike a cop out to hold onto an weak position of already placing Hull and or richard over Jagr

The VsX scores of 7 (or any years metric) has Jagr well ahead and the seasons outside of the VsX are really extremely in Jagr's favour.

this quote by vadim sharifijanov sadly sums up that postion IMO

How are Hull and Rrichard treated when they finished 5th or lower?

What are you talking about? Nowhere in my posts did i say where i'd place Jagr. I personally think I have him as #2 all time behind Howe. But that's not what i was arguing, nor what the discussion was about.

People were asking how much Jagr's recent years impact/improve his ranking, and i don't think it does so all that much. He's either already #2 for some, or he's not, and nothing he's done in the past couple of years will change that all that much.

If he wins an art ross, or maybe finishes top 5 (or even top 10), or if he wins a conn smythe or at least has an epic playoffs where he leads his team far...or if he places very highly in Hart Trophy race...all those accomplishments would be worthy of consideration. But him finishing ~30th in the league, and leading his weak team in points, isn't all that impressive enough imo to change people's mind about where he should rank. Maybe if he does it for 7-8 years in a row until he's 48, but he's not quite there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad