GDT: Hogtown Hoedown - Hurricanes vs Maple Leafs

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Which is a lot of growth in his game. When he first arrived on the scene, he looked very chaotic to me. Was probably him trying to do too much and make an impression to stick with the team. I wasn't sold on him to start last year and am very happy to be wrong. I still don't want to count on him as a 2nd pairing guy, but he's slotted perfectly right now.
i love the dude, and any day would be a good day to announce a new deal with him.

you nailed it about his growth. it is a cliche in a lot of sports that guys getting to the top level need to 'get used to the speed of the game' or have the 'game slow down.' having said that, he is one of the starkest examples i can remember. it has been incredible to see him progress from the initial holy shit/hot potato reactions early, to the make a quick (but usually good) pass to get the puck out middle stage, to finally completely thinking at game speed and being able to make the pass or skate it out and take advantage of his speed.

i can't remember a d-man on the canes where we got to see that so clearly. pesce and slavin were better when they showed up. hanafin never really developed (until he got to calgary, anyway) at least in my opinion - the guy that left was basically the exact guy we drafted. fluery hitting his peak in the bubble was good, but he couldn't keep it up. bean - no. maybe we would have seen it with forsling, but he hadn't shown enough to pass anyone above him on the chart so had to go somewhere that would give him playing time. faulk might be the previous best example, but he was more thrown in the deep end than allowed a natural progression.

this wasn't supposed to be this long.

tl;dr - watching chatty grow = enjoyable

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
My theory is they tried to coach the crazy out of him, it went poorly so they said f*** it, he is what he is.
I really think that's exactly what happened. After the players only meeting in Edmonton, the next game he went back out and played more aggressively and, well, crazy than he had at any other point this season. For me, that was the single most noticeable change after that game.

And it worked. Nearly every goalie now plays the exact same style, so goalie coaches teach exactly that style, but that's not how Kochetkov has played his entire career, so trying to coach him to that style makes him question his split second instincts and completely screws him up. If you're thinking, you're dead. The unconscious mind is far faster than the conscious one, so athletes have to train so that every reaction is unconscious. I think Kooch has gotten permission to get back to his instincts.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

And it worked. Nearly every goalie now plays the exact same style, so goalie coaches teach exactly that style, but that's not how Kochetkov has played his entire career, so trying to coach him to that style makes him question his split second instincts and completely screws him up. If you're thinking, you're dead. The unconscious mind is far faster than the conscious one, so athletes have to train so that every reaction is unconscious. I think Kooch has gotten permission to get back to his instincts.

I apply this to my desk job as well.

EDIT: 2000 posts! Only took me 17 years.

Last edited:

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023
Are we waiting until tomorrow or Tuesday morning to hear anything about Fast? He definitely looked concussed after that shot he took yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad