OT: Hockeystreams vs Gamecenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Hey guys, from Ottawa but living in the US, thinking about getting either HS or GC for this upcoming year. From the people who have experienced both, what is the better buy?

GC if your only watching NHL and with you being in the US you will have no issues with blackouts.

If you would like the AHL and juniors, then go with HS.

As long as you have a good internet package (good bandwidth) you will have no problems with either.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Gamecenter is still the clear best option for overseas viewers.

I love it.

+1

Moved from HS to GCL for last 2 full seasons and dont plan to go back. Had absoluttely no problems with watching via PC (in different places with different speed) and any other devices. Well, exept PS3. Some issues there, but no critical.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Question. Is Kingston Sens or Leafs TV territory? Will Sens games get blacked out on GCL in Kingston? Or is it neutral?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Good question.

Bet it's Leafs territory. whenever I go out that way (Kingston, Belleville ect...) the Sports stores have Leafs jersey's hanging everywhere you go! :rant:

P.S. LEAFS SUCK~

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Question. Is Kingston Sens or Leafs TV territory? Will Sens games get blacked out on GCL in Kingston? Or is it neutral?

Kingston is in Sens region, but Leafs and Sens have an overlap shared region, Kingston is part of that.
I believe my Kingston friends say you will get the Leafs games if the Sens don't play that night (but I'm not positive), but they definitely show both.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1695229&page=4
see post 86 for a map.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
+1

Moved from HS to GCL for last 2 full seasons and dont plan to go back. Had absoluttely no problems with watching via PC (in different places with different speed) and any other devices. Well, exept PS3. Some issues there, but no critical.

I have a question about GCL.

I've actually considered changing to GCL (assuming I'm able to get past black outs).

The big thing for me, I avoid "spoilers" and watch most games on tape delay later on so that I can skip commercials and stoppages in order to condense the game into a bit over an hour.

I don't know if you've ever attempted this, but how easy is it to skip small chunks (let's say 10-20 seconds a piece) on GCL? I'd probably be watching using a PS3, but I also have an Apple TV if it is a better device for GCL.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia

I've actually considered changing to GCL (assuming I'm able to get past black outs).

The big thing for me, I avoid "spoilers" and watch most games on tape delay later on so that I can skip commercials and stoppages in order to condense the game into a bit over an hour.

I don't know if you've ever attempted this, but how easy is it to skip small chunks (let's say 10-20 seconds a piece) on GCL? I'd probably be watching using a PS3, but I also have an Apple TV if it is a better device for GCL.

There is no commercials on ps3, as i remember. So no need to skip anything. Stream is about 1,5 hour long. Skiping on PC is easy. Just move slider a bit. Only problem, if you see slider, you can predict match lenght.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There is no commercials on ps3, as i remember. So no need to skip anything. Stream is about 1,5 hour long. Skiping on PC is easy. Just move slider a bit. Only problem, if you see slider, you can predict match lenght.

I'll usually skip the 10-20 seconds between each puck drop. It seems excessive, but it adds up quickly.

Hockeystreams has a button that says something like Skip 20 seconds, Skip 2 minutes, etc.

So GCL has no way to fast forward without manually moving the slider?

Did GCL have any sort of trial last year?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

There is a button to fast forward in small chunks (I think its like 10 or 15 seconds).

A big issue with GCL is that if the game is still on, it ALWAYS goes live when you click it. On their Android app you have the choice to start from the beginning or go live, but not on computer. Very frustrating.

If I get home an hour after the game starts I have to mute it, hold my arm over the score bar, and bring it back to the beginning.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

You have option to forward 10 seconds and go back 10 as well.

There is a button to fast forward in small chunks (I think its like 10 or 15 seconds).

A big issue with GCL is that if the game is still on, it ALWAYS goes live when you click it. On their Android app you have the choice to start from the beginning or go live, but not on computer. Very frustrating.

If I get home an hour after the game starts I have to mute it, hold my arm over the score bar, and bring it back to the beginning.

If you login with "scores off" im pretty sure it starts from the beginning. To be honest, I've had instances where it starts beginning and instances where it starts live.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
With scores off on PC if I recall, it starts at the start of the game.

PS3 gives you the start live /start from the beginning options. Biggest thing to remember though is that games go into archive after they finish, so sometimes if you get home after the game finishes - you have to wait for the blackout period to end until it can be watched (usually next day). Burned me a couple times when I started it up on delay and for one reason or another closed the stream. Couldn't pick up right away because the game had ended.

But generally I'm happy with GCL down in SW Ontario for watching Sens games (and Sharks too).

flicker

May 23, 2014
Is it possible to sign up on HS as a regular account and in a few weeks buy premium on the same account? Or would I have to get another invite?

I just did it and put a freeze on my account until the pre season....so for now you can but not sure once more people start activating their accounts.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
I used HS last season, sometimes had trouble with stream choppiness but considering the extra benefits and price point it was a good choice.

Although I do have some input on GameCenter for PC users. Get Media Hint extension for Firefox/Chrome, it will automatically fool webcontent into marking you out of your region (I can access things like US Pandora, Hulu, US Netflix, etc) so you should be able to get Senators games while in the Ottawa area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad