OT: Hockeystreams vs Gamecenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
How are you getting it for 10$ less? It was 149$ at the start of the year and it just recently dropped to 99$..

Like I said, GCL was great, had no issues at all. But the added content was what really got me over to HS.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I've been on GCL for years but might try HS next year. The issue for me is my laptop is a bit of a p.o.s and it just has the tiniest bit of a skip to it, whereas i use GCL on appletv and its just perfect.

Also I don't need AHL or OHL. I just read the prospects thread here and use what other people say to develop extremely firm opinions on certain prospects, then I use those to declare with absolute certainty that certain guys are busts, or that they are can't miss players. Its not perfect but its enough to get into petty arguments on here which is great.

Its $149 in NA for the whole season but $99 in any other country. So use a VPN to sign up and voila. Probably not sustainable but it worked for me. Its actually really surprising you can get away with it actually.
But its a moot point, because you can pause your 1 calendar year HS subscription so their price is for more like 1.25 seasons so HS is cheaper.

I actually laughed at this one, so awesomely true!

ameasor

Feb 5, 2014
GCL Android vs Ipad

I have a 10.1 tablet (galaxy note 2014), my wife an older ipad.

She gets GCL at 3mbps, looks pretty good. The best gcl stream I get on the android is 1600mbps.....so im cranky

Are other android users getting only 1600mpbs on tablets?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
My question is have you watched it on PS4?

I just ran the Sens game on my laptop at 3000kbps and on my PS4 and the smoothness AND clarity on my PS4 is MILES better. Like people on my floor in residence have come over before and the first thing they say is "HOLY **** LOOK HOW FLUID THAT IS".

Also, I know it's not actually 4K, I've just never ever ever seen sports that clear before.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I just ran the Sens game on my laptop at 3000kbps and on my PS4 and the smoothness AND clarity on my PS4 is MILES better. Like people on my floor in residence have come over before and the first thing they say is "HOLY **** LOOK HOW FLUID THAT IS".

Also, I know it's not actually 4K, I've just never ever ever seen sports that clear before.

GCL?

Im tempted to go with it after the Olympics just for the sheer quality. I am a bit weary of them finding away to counter virtual networks though

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
The service is better.

I dont give a **** about legality personally.

I find they are very similar. GCL has slightly better quality picture, but it's hardly noticeable.

Like I said, they are basically the same. Had GCL last year and wasn't because it was a bad product that I switched, just HS offered more.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I find they are very similar. GCL has slightly better quality picture, but it's hardly noticeable.

Like I said, they are basically the same. Had GCL last year and wasn't because it was a bad product that I switched, just HS offered more.

.. for less.

$150/season (or $100/season + $5/month for IP cloaking)

versus

$109 for 12 months (which you can freeze, and start up again)

plus all the other stuff:

cm2b.png

ie: NHL Revealed, 24/7, UFC events, Other major sporting events like the Super Bowl...

BadMcFadden

Aug 17, 2011
I've used hockeystreams for the past 3 years. It unfortunately seems to work poorly with tekksavvy - despite having 30 meg download speeds I get major lag on the HD stream and this year get stutters on the low quality feed :(

Really wish I could get a good quality legitimate subscription to all senators games but such does not seem to exist. You have to buy cable with extra channels and you'll still get blackouts anyways.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
.. for less.

$150/season (or $100/season + $5/month for IP cloaking)

versus

$109 for 12 months (which you can freeze, and start up again)

plus all the other stuff:

cm2b.png

ie: NHL Revealed, 24/7, UFC events, Other major sporting events like the Super Bowl...

Yeah should of said they are very similar for NHL viewing.

HS offers more content other than NHL for less, which is why I went there..

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa

I have a PS4 and an Xbox 360 and I much prefer GCL on the 360. For some reason every game on my PS4 gets laggy every 5 minutes or so to the point where it can give me a headache. It's damn smooth on the 360, though.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah should of said they are very similar for NHL viewing.

HS offers more content other than NHL for less, which is why I went there..

All good. I was just adding to your point.

Somebody asked me earlier in the thread what I preferred and I didn't respond initially, then forgot about the request (sorry, SenateReform). Many of the things have been covered throughout the thread (and then some...), but I was surprised to learn how many extras are available in comparison.

When you're someone who got fed up with paying cable companies for little return, and annoyed with NHL.com's overall embarrassing ineptitude- the switch to HS was an easy decision. Many of these perks I discovered after the fact.

And I manage to sleep reasonably well at night. Somehow...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I should add that I do have to deal with laggy feeds from time to time- but no more than when I had GCL.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I've used hockeystreams for the past 3 years. It unfortunately seems to work poorly with tekksavvy - despite having 30 meg download speeds I get major lag on the HD stream and this year get stutters on the low quality feed :(

Really wish I could get a good quality legitimate subscription to all senators games but such does not seem to exist. You have to buy cable with extra channels and you'll still get blackouts anyways.

OK, that explains my experience, then. Only tried HS on Teksavvy. It will work fine half the time, but other times I'll get 2 or 3 frozen streams per period.

I wonder if Rogers is throttling media stuff that competes with their cable offering.

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
****ing Hockeystreams crashed with 4 minutes to go, tied 2-2, in the 3rd period tonight... had to finish watching the game on firstrow.... what a joke.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I have no idea. I usually watch games at home on my PC with Gamecentre, but I was at a buddy's house and he uses hockeystreams.

Hockeystreams definitely appeals to me because of the price, but man, it sucked missing the last few minutes.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
all the time, at least once every game

jk

?

I've had HS all year, this is the second time this happened, where it actually crashed. First day of the season and last night.

Obviously it sucks, but let's not go over board here.

I got it turned back on right before the 3rd goal, so that was good, but yeah missed a good 3 minutes of game time though right at the end, not cool...

Edit: White text! Bah!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
HS was up & down throughout the game for me.

This is the first time it would log me out, then not let me log back in for a few minutes. I was watching on my iphone. When I tried to load the non-mobile website, there was a message saying it was a capacity issue.

Is HS hosting Olympics stuff that's ramping the load?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

What Teksavvy package are you on? Not all packages are the same. I'm not sure on their exact speeds because they recently upgraded, but if you are on the 30mbps package, you shouldn't have an issue streaming.

It's either....
A) The wifi reception you're getting isn't good. Try it with a device plugged directly into your router.

B) Shut down any torrents or downloads while watching a stream. If you live with other people, somebody might be using torrents.

C) Your computer can't handle the flash streams. In which case, try playing them in a program called VLC player. Each stream has a link you can copy and open using VLC instead of watching directly in the browser.

D) If you're watching on demand, use the progressive streams. You can let them load for a few minutes before watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad