Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2005: 26-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
freakazoid said:
If Lundqvist is so great, why isn't he given the green light to take over the #1 job in NY? Playing in the "second best league in the world" (what a joke) should have given him that opportunity. He is 23 and his play suggests he is ready, and yet Weekes is brought it to start the season as the #1 G, while Carolina didn't even bother resigning Gerber, and even when he was still under contract more than a year ago, the GM already stated that Ward will atleast split duties with him, and now looks more likely that Ward will get the #1 gig at 21 years old. Lundqvist hasn't played the NA game, and until he does his accomplishments should be taken with a grain of salt. He wasn't that great at the WC this year anyways. Ward out of the top 50 behind guys like Whitney? Simply ridiculous.

Uhm, are you seriously thinking that the NYR brass should just hand him the #1 job without anything of a backup plan if he fails? He will probably split time with Weeks this year and then take over next year. Why is that so hard to believe for a player who has never played on NHL ice before?

Or do you really have that little knowledge on how to develop your prospects?

And by the way, the Swedish league was a lot better than the AHL last year. I'd much rather see my top prospect absolutely owning players like Forsberg over AHLers any day.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
freakazoid said:
So did Huselius this year before getting yanked, but I don't think anyone considers him an NHL All-Star. Schwarz is a prime example of the difference between Europe and N.A. He left Europe to join a lesser talented league in the WHL, and after dominating in Europe, he stumbled in the WHL. If Lundqvist comes over and falls flat on his face, suddenly the people who keep pointing out his SEL performance now will stress how those accomplishments weren't that much of an indication as to where he is in terms of his development. I'm certainly not saying he isn't a special talent. He might come over and continue his dominant play, and I won't be that surprised, but until that happens, I'm not going to buy into all the hype.

Hahaha.

Schwarz wasn't dominating at all in Europe. Where do you even think of these things?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
freakazoid said:
If Lundqvist is so great, why isn't he given the green light to take over the #1 job in NY? Playing in the "second best league in the world" (what a joke) should have given him that opportunity. He is 23 and his play suggests he is ready, and yet Weekes is brought it to start the season as the #1 G, while Carolina didn't even bother resigning Gerber, and even when he was still under contract more than a year ago, the GM already stated that Ward will atleast split duties with him, and now looks more likely that Ward will get the #1 gig at 21 years old. Lundqvist hasn't played the NA game, and until he does his accomplishments should be taken with a grain of salt. He wasn't that great at the WC this year anyways. Ward out of the top 50 behind guys like Whitney? Simply ridiculous.
What a joke?? Please list 2 leagues that were better then the SEL league this past season. RSL is the only one that competes with SEL.

Yes Weekes was brought it...should the Rangers have went with Lundqvist and Montoya has the Rangers goalies this season? (dont know much about developing prospects do you?)

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
I might be biased, but honestly can't believe that Richard is that low, especially below Schremp?

"Richards finished his OHL career on a fairly good note as the captain of the Kitchener Rangers."

And yet in the rest of the sentence..."collecting 11 goals and 17 assists in 15 playoff games before the team was eliminated by the eventual Memorial Cup winning London Knights."

Fairly good? I would say heroic, Kitchener would have been completely destroyed without Richards, at least he was there to make the game close.

Also no mention about how he led Canada to the WJC gold medal. Not much credit given to his AHL performance either. I thought he would be top 20 for sure. The only thing they question is durability. I know he's had injury problems, but I'm a bit surprised that he slipped.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
FLYLine88 said:
What a joke?? Please list 2 leagues that were better then the SEL league this past season. RSL is the only one that competes with SEL.

Yes Weekes was brought it...should the Rangers have went with Lundqvist and Montoya has the Rangers goalies this season? (dont know much about developing prospects do you?)
In terms of talent, sure the SEL is strong, but I consider style of play to be an important factor. Everytime a player goes from Europe to N.A. the question always is can he take the physical punishment or can he adjust to the smaller rink etc. When talking about the best league, it doesn't mean the most talented. Loads of talent doesn't mean greatness, just ask the Rangers. I look at it from a standpoint of which league best prepares a prospect for the NHL. SEL is sure entertaining, I'll give them that, but the AHL and RSL IMO better suit a player who desires to reach the NHL. As far as developing prospects, Lundqvist is 23, he will be a UFA in less than 4 years. When exactly do you give him a chance? And I wouldn't bring up Montoya for a back-up role, he needs quite a few years before getting a sniff of NHL action. Atleast invite Lundqvist to camp with a statement that the #1 job is his to lose. If left hanging much longer, he might wind up blowing up like Bryzgalov did, and then he certainly won't be starting for a couple more years.

Fitzlax99

Feb 14, 2003
NYC
Visit site
freakazoid said:
In terms of talent, sure the SEL is strong, but I consider style of play to be an important factor. Everytime a player goes from Europe to N.A. the question always is can he take the physical punishment or can he adjust to the smaller rink etc. When talking about the best league, it doesn't mean the most talented. Loads of talent doesn't mean greatness, just ask the Rangers. I look at it from a standpoint of which league best prepares a prospect for the NHL. SEL is sure entertaining, I'll give them that, but the AHL and RSL IMO better suit a player who desires to reach the NHL. As far as developing prospects, Lundqvist is 23, he will be a UFA in less than 4 years. When exactly do you give him a chance? And I wouldn't bring up Montoya for a back-up role, he needs quite a few years before getting a sniff of NHL action. Atleast invite Lundqvist to camp with a statement that the #1 job is his to lose. If left hanging much longer, he might wind up blowing up like Bryzgalov did, and then he certainly won't be starting for a couple more years.

Thats a fair enough argument regarding the SEL, but I dont necessarily think all of that applies when judging goalies. We arent talking about a pint sized forward or a slow lumbering defenseman who need to adjust to the physical side or speed of the NHL. The goal is the same size in Sweden as it is here, and while the talent is nowhere near the NHL (where is it?) Lundqvist hasnt exactly been facing sloutches in the SEL or backstopping Sweden in the WC's. Obviously a move to NA is huge for anyone, regardless of the position, but the talented ones make it work. Im hoping Lundqvist proves me right.

Regardless, he's signed and will be in camp this year, so I guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad