Hockey's Future Spring 2007 Organizational Rankings (16-30)

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Pretty good, though it would have been nice if you guys had mentioned more of Tlusty, Stralman and Reimer for the Leafs.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
With Anton Stralman being the top defensive prospect from Sweden, and maybe one of the top defensive prospects overall as per some people. Also, with Jiri Tlusty who is not at all a bad prospect. Also, with the likes of Justin Pogge and Nikolai Kulemin, I think Toronto should be higher. I have never agreed with HF articles.

I just dont understand how Calgary has a better farm system than Toronto. No offense to Calgary's farm, but we clearly have better high end talent than them, IMO.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
With Anton Stralman being the top defensive prospect from Sweden, and maybe one of the top defensive prospects overall as per some people. Also, with Jiri Tlusty who is not at all a bad prospect. Also, with the likes of Justin Pogge and Nikolai Kulemin, I think Toronto should be higher. I have never agreed with HF articles.

I just dont understand how Calgary has a better farm system than Toronto. No offense to Calgary's farm, but we clearly have better high end talent than them, IMO.

Frankly, I think Toronto should be swapped with Atlanta. Just a straight up flip.

HFPM

Mar 25, 2006
Leduc...
www.fortybelow.ca

Leland Irving is almost as good as Pogge

Dustin Boyd > Tlusty, Earl, and Kulemin

Mark Giordano > any D Toronto can throw at him.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
I find the flames,trashers and canucks as too high and leafs,penguins as too low

How are the Canucks not high?

Bourdon is well documented but Edler is a stud and possibly better than Bourdon.

Schneider is one of the best goalie prospects in the league.

We also have Koltsov and Rahimi for good measure behind as our #3 and #4 defensive prospects.

The offensive pool isn't great but its getting better.. Grabner, Raymond (do not know why he was not mentioned in the article......), Simek and Hansen all have potential.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
How are the Canucks not high?

Bourdon is well documented but Edler is a stud and possibly better than Bourdon.

Schneider is one of the best goalie prospects in the league.

We also have Koltsov and Rahimi for good measure behind as our #3 and #4 defensive prospects.

The offensive pool isn't great but its getting better.. Grabner, Raymond (do not know why he was not mentioned in the article......), Simek and Hansen all have potential.
Which teams do you feel Vancouver should be ahead of and why do you feel that way?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Leland Irving is almost as good as Pogge

Dustin Boyd > Tlusty, Earl, and Kulemin

Mark Giordano > any D Toronto can throw at him.

Dustin Boyd might be better than Tlusty or Kulemin or might not be, noone knows yet. And Toronto's defense depth is very nice with prospects like Anton Stralman (who some Sweden fans have even gone as far as to compare him to the legendary Niklas Lidstrom, although I tend to ignore comparisons, but that is ONE HELL of a comparison), Staffan Kronwall (could be a number 5 defenseman right now if it wasnt for Toronto D depth), and even Andy Wozniewski, Jamie Sifers etc.

I'm not going to compare any of the Toronto players to Calgary's, but atleast you can admit by saying that the talent level is close. I just dont understand why Toronto is ranked too low, when they've been drafting quality players in the first round and finding steals in the later rounds (Anton Stralman).

I, personally still believe Toronto's farm talent is a little more talented than Calgary. Nothing against Calgary at all, as the Flames are one of my favorite teams.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Too bad the Sharks don't have a writer who actually follows their prospects. Dakers at number 4, while an impressive prospect, is a travesty considering Thomas Greiss is out of the top 5 (behind Derek Joslin...laughable). He is the only real bluechipper the Sharks have in their pool. Though (surprisingly to me) Wishart is starting to look a little better than I originally thought.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
And Toronto's defense depth is very nice with prospects like Anton Stralman (who some Sweden fans have even gone as far as to compare him to the legendary Niklas Lidstrom, although I tend to ignore comparisons, but that is ONE HELL of a comparison), Staffan Kronwall (could be a number 5 defenseman right now if it wasnt for Toronto D depth), and even Andy Wozniewski, Jamie Sifers etc.
I really don't get why people just start listing their prospects when it comes time to criticize this list - do you honestly think guys like Wozniewski, Sifers and Kronwall are all that significant? You list them off as though they're all key prospects but there literally isn't a team in the league who can't list similar prospects with similar potential.

Stralman is certainly a great prospect but every other player you listed isn't all that special and it doesn't really push Toronto ahead of any other clubs.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
honestly, its nice to see the flames ranked higher rather than lower for a change.
For those of you who think that the flames are ranked too high, its debatable obviously, as is everything really.
A few pts I just want to give.

1) Goaltending: Lelande Irving, Matt Keetley, Curtis McElhinney, Kevin Lalande, Brent Krahn
(Thats a really deep goaltending pool if you ask me although Krahn is still labelled a bust to me)

2) Forwards: All the talk about Boyd vs. every other teams top forward prospect, but IMO, Taratukhin will impress more than Boyd. This guy plays a solid 2-way game while still putting up solid numbers. Theres a reason why he played on the Russian Olympic team.
And Dan Ryder is not a bad prospect neither as he is consistently one of the better all around players in the OHL.
Also character/shut down guys like Prust and Nystrom might not be much to brag about, but I like having them on our team.

3) Defense: This is where the team is weak. Giordano is a NHL calibre defensemen and most likely will be on the club full-time next year.
Richie Regehr (who IMO was better than Giordano was held back with injury all season)
Gord Baldwin and Matt Pelech seem to be developing nicely into rouogh defensive defensemen. They'll never score 25 pts in a season, but their looking like decent prospects.

Anyway, thats all I gotta say. Everyone will think their own team is ranked too low in situations like this btw.
3)

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Atlanta is too high (is it just me or does this often seem to be the case?) and I'm suprised NYI is in the top 15 after trading O'Marra, Nilsson, and Grebeshkov to the Oilers.

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Rangers in the top 15 nice!

with the Pens "falling", we all know it's because of the supreme skill of their recent graduates.

i'm interested to see how this changes after the draft/beginning of the season.

PunjabiOil*

While the rankings are good for reads, they must be taken with a grain of salt. Doesn't anyone remember 2 or 3 years ago, the Oilers were 3rd on the list...

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
Pittsburgh is at where I expected them to be, bottom third. That just goes to show how successful our recent graduates have been in making the transition to the NHL.

I do think that if Bobby Goepfert is going to be mentioned, David Brown should also be brought up. He posted some crazy number this past season.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Atlanta is too high (is it just me or does this often seem to be the case?) and I'm suprised NYI is in the top 15 after trading O'Marra, Nilsson, and Grebeshkov to the Oilers.

Why do you think those three were traded?

Their ranking, at least to the Isles organization, had dropped and simultaneously other prospects emerged to overtake their status.

There's this on-going HF logic that "Well the Isles traded three of their top prospects to Edmonton." Maybe on HF broadband, where speculation rules, that's the truth. But to the NYI, Nilsson, O'Marra and Grebs plummeted some what and were essentially overwritten by the emergence of Rhett RahkShani, Okposo, Blake Comeau, Sean Bergenheim, Tambellini and Frans Nielson.

Nilsson did not display the consistent work ethic and intensity Nolan was looking for, dating back from last July's prospect Camp. So he didn't fit into the culture, though admittedly he was my fav. O'Marra had/still has an injury history and was replaceable. Grebs was also replaceable due to the emergence of a few D prospects, most notably Bruno Gervais.

That said, I still expect them to be 15th and nothing higher.

Randall Graves*

Maybe the reason the Leafs aren't higher is because people aren't buying the hype about some of their prospects, some of us remember the 'Cola' wars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad