Hockey Trivia

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Who were the first two brothers in NHL history to play on different teams in the same season, and both lead their respective teams in points?

It's not the Bentleys in 47-48, because 6 of Max's points came before he was traded to Toronto, so he wasn't the Leafs point leader.

I had to check if it was Dennenys :). Just a guess, Aaron and Neal Broten?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I had to check if it was Dennenys :). Just a guess, Aaron and Neal Broten?

They're clearly not players you'd associate with "leading team in scoring" as much as you'd associate the Brotens.

(I didn't even check if I'm right, but I'm, like, 99% sure I am. Very good trivia question)

I'll give a hint : one of these led his team in scoring, despite the fact there was two HHOF'ers on that team.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I was almost ready to say Gerry Desjardins. Mask and the bit of chubby build. But the number... I don´t know who else it could be.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
Who were the first two brothers in NHL history to play on different teams in the same season, and both lead their respective teams in points?

It's not the Bentleys in 47-48, because 6 of Max's points came before he was traded to Toronto, so he wasn't the Leafs point leader.

random hunch - hextalls early 70s?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
random hunch - hextalls early 70s?
Yes, the Hextalls were who I had in mind.

I was researching some stats from '70-'71 and noticed it. I looked and couldn't find any instances of brothers doing it before that, but now I'm wondering if I missed someone because of MXD's hint about two HHOfers on one of the teams.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nice work - it is Desjardins! :handclap:

My understanding is that Gerry wore #30 in his (and the Islanders') first year, and #1 in the second. A photo of Gerry (wearing #1) is in the February 20, 1974 Montreal Gazette:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=UHowAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zKEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1254,1227399

Still one of my favorite masks.

Yeah that is an interesting mask. Plante model but he's had a few inches of the forehead portion cut down so t doesnt go past his hairline at the front. That was one of the problems with that model in that it did cover about half of the top of your head & was warm to wear. Desjardins wore a few different models throughout his career, different makers.... interesting goalie/career.... when called upon, excellent... performed admirably in LA all things considered however the Kings go out & acquire Vachon when at that time they needed help everywhere else really & Desjardins odd man out, traded to Chicago, backing up Esposito & so on. Yet when given the opportunity, this guy was beyond decent as he'd proved n the Minors, LA, later on in Buffalo & on LI etc.

Reactions: Tarantula

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, the Hextalls were who I had in mind.

I was researching some stats from '70-'71 and noticed it. I looked and couldn't find any instances of brothers doing it before that, but now I'm wondering if I missed someone because of MXD's hint about two HHOfers on one of the teams.

There was definitely two HHOF'ers on the 70-71 Pittsburgh Penguins, but then again there is a "catch" to my hint. The "lesser" family members was more straight forward.

If I could've worded something that made sense Bryan Hextall AND Syl Apps being on the same team, I would've.

EDIT : I wasn't refering to head coach Red Kelly by the way.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
And staying on the brothers theme, who are the only 10 pairs of brothers to combine for over 700 goals (NHL regular season) in their careers?

Note: Pairs of brothers means two; so the six Sutters combined for over 1000 goals doesn't count. Also, each brother had to score at least one goal, so Phil and Tony Esposito don't count.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Richard
Mahovlich
Lemieux
Dionne
Gretzky
Stastny (Anton and Peter, a pair with Marian doesn't work)
Turgeon
Mullen

...And after these 8, I have no clue. Pretty sure the Sutter didn't do it, and the Messier brothers definitely didn't do it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And staying on the brothers theme, who are the only 10 pairs of brothers to combine for over 700 goals (NHL regular season) in their careers?

Note: Pairs of brothers means two; so the six Sutters combined for over 1000 goals doesn't count. Also, each brother had to score at least one goal, so Phil and Tony Esposito don't count.

Sylvain and Pierre Turgeon
Wayne and Brent Gretzky
Mario and Alain Lemieux
Henri and Maurice Richard
Pete and Frank Mahovlich
Bobby and Dennis Hull
Gordie and Vic Howe
Marcel and Gilbert Dionne
Peter and Anton Statsny
Joe and Brian Mullen.

The first eight came very easily, then I got the Statsny's who were out of my head because I think of them as a trio of brothers. Took me forever to get the Mullen's. I went through the Bure brothers, the Courtnall's are close, but no cigar, the Sedin's aren't there yet and if Paul Messier had managed six goals in his brief NHL career, he and Mark would have been here too.

Good question, I wouldn't have guessed there were 10 pairs (11 if you include the Esposito's, which I think you should.)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Who has the most playoff points in their career against each of the following teams?

Boston Bruins?
Chicago Black Hawks?
Detroit Red Wings?
Montreal Canadiens?
New York Rangers?
Toronto Maple Leafs?

I only guessed one of those six correctly myself before looking it up.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Who has the most playoff points in their career against each of the following teams?

Boston Bruins?
Chicago Black Hawks?
Detroit Red Wings?
Montreal Canadiens?
New York Rangers?
Toronto Maple Leafs?

I'll make 2 guesses each. If you'll only accept one, go with the first. Guessing by teams who played them multiple times in eras while the opponents were successful (Edmonton vs Boston in the 80s, Boston vs Toronto in the 70s, etc)

Boston Bruins? Gretzky? Messier?
Chicago Black Hawks? Howe? Delvecchio?
Detroit Red Wings? Frank Mahovlich? Rocket Richard?
Montreal Canadiens? Stastny? Goulet?
New York Rangers? Bossy? Trottier?
Toronto Maple Leafs? Orr? Espo?

I'm sure at least one of them is someone I would never think of, so I'm not overly confident, but maybe I found a bullseye here.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Boston Bruins? Gretzky? Messier?
Chicago Black Hawks? Howe? Delvecchio?
Detroit Red Wings? Frank Mahovlich? Rocket Richard?
Montreal Canadiens? Stastny? Goulet?
New York Rangers? Bossy? Trottier?
Toronto Maple Leafs? Orr? Espo?
All of those are incorrect, though one of those players did lead against a different team than the one you guessed.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008

Boston Bruins? Guy lafleur Steve shutt.
Chicago Black Hawks? Geordie Howe
Detroit Red Wings? Toe Blake Jean Beliveau
Montreal Canadiens? Phil Esposito,Eddie Shore
New York Rangers? Brad Park,Denis Potvin
Toronto Maple Leafs? Jean Beliveau Bobby Hull

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005

Boston Bruins? Guy lafleur Steve shutt.
Chicago Black Hawks? Geordie Howe
Detroit Red Wings? Toe Blake Jean Beliveau
Montreal Canadiens? Phil Esposito,Eddie Shore
New York Rangers? Brad Park,Denis Potvin
Toronto Maple Leafs? Jean Beliveau Bobby Hull
All of those are incorrect, although some of those players are the leaders against teams other than the ones you guessed.

Hints:
-Two players are the leader against two of the six teams (one against both Boston and the Rangers, the other against Detroit and Montreal), so the answer is only 4 different players in total.
-The leader against Chicago hasn't been mentioned yet. The others have been, but not against the right teams

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Boston Bruins? Jean Beliveau
Chicago Black Hawks? ...Doug Gilmour? (This is a guess that I really like)
Detroit Red Wings? Bobby Hull
Montreal Canadiens? Bobby Hull
New York Rangers? Jean Beliveau
Toronto Maple Leafs? Gordie Howe

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
MXD said:
Boston Bruins? Jean Beliveau
Chicago Black Hawks? ...Doug Gilmour?
Detroit Red Wings? Bobby Hull
Montreal Canadiens? Bobby Hull
New York Rangers? Jean Beliveau
Toronto Maple Leafs? Gordie Howe
You got 5/6. The only wrong guess was the Chicago one.

Hint about the leader against Chicago:
Career playoff PPG vs Chicago - 1.44
Career playoff PPG vs rest of NHL - 0.50

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You got 5/6. The only wrong guess was the Chicago one.

Hint about the leader against Chicago:
Career playoff PPG vs Chicago - 1.44
Career playoff PPG vs rest of NHL - 0.50

I thought about Adam Oates (a little too good against non-Hawks), Elmer Lach (same thing and didn't even play that much against the Hawks) and, well, Gilmour (who happened to play the Hawks during.. pretty much all his good runs, plus some other years, but apparently it's not him).

Ullman? I mean, he did have good years when his teams were actually facing the Hawks, but...

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure where this goes...but for some reason I feel like killion for get a kick out of it the most...

CTAswchUEAAsv23.jpg:large

^^^ :laugh::laugh::laugh: thank you Mr.Farkas. Because yes, I do find that amusing. Endlessly so in fact. .

I was actually at the game when Bobby Hull’s hairpiece was ripped off his head. It was during game 1 of the Quarter Finals series between the Winnipeg Jets and Birmingham Bulls on April 14, 1978. The incident occurred during a bench clearing brawl that took place. It came as quite a shock to me as I was a naïve young teenager who had thought that Hull had hair implants and was under the impression that his hair was real up until that point. As I followed what was taking place on the ice it was surreal to suddenly see Hull with no hair on the top of his head. I could see what looked like some kind of tape on his head. Looking back on it nowadays I realize it must have been something strong like duct tape to hold the hairpiece in place. I remember feeling bad for him when it happened and the fans were sure angry at Dave Hanson for what he had done. Hull left the ice when the brawl wrapped up and did not return until the start of the next period and was donning a helmet which he wore for the remainder of the game. In spite of the incident, Bobby Hull had a sense of humor about it afterwards during the game when Hanson lined up against him and said “Mr. Hull, I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to do that†and Hull replied in his famous gravely voice, “Aw kid, don’t worry about it. I needed to get a new one anyhowâ€.

hull_bench.jpg
hull_durbano.jpg

:jets

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: oh geez.... I'm surely going to Hell for laughing about it but hey, cant help it. Thanks for the eyewitness account... still giggling... whole new dimension....

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
That would be Bob Perreault. 42 years old at the time (1972-1973). IIRC he was mainly working as scout for Los Angeles Sharks and was emergency goalie in that game. That was his only game that season.

He did "comeback" in next season with Sharks farm team Greensboro Generals (still not wearing mask). It was actually really close that he would have played in WHA that season too. He was recalled in jan. 3. 1974 and was ment to be the starter in a game against Oilers. Fractured his finger in practices and could not play.

edit. and even more trivia :). Joe Daley started with the 1969-1970 with a mask. Not sure why and when he decided leave it.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_VgqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=H1EEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7262%2C6313194

That was an interesting read Sanf. I was not aware that he briefly donned a mask while with Pittsburgh at the start of the 1969-70 season. Like you, I am surprised that he would discard if afterwards in an era where pucks were being fired high and hard. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any pictures of him wearing a mask when he was a member of the Penguins. I do know that when he joined the Winnipeg Jets for the inaugural WHA season in 1972-73 he did not wear a mask for the entire season. It was at the start of the next season and until his retirement following the end of the 1978-79 season that he wore a mask. I'm still surprised that any goalies continued to play without one into the 1970's.

images
joedaleysports-1352132931_600_1_.jpg

:jets

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Who scored the 2nd fastest OT goal in the Stanley Cup Final? (#1 of course is Brian Skrudland's 9 second goal in game 2 of the 1986 Final)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad