Hockey is dying!!

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
MLS is doing fine. When Pele and played in the America, nobody knew what football is. Pele was almost 40 and totally over the hill. Beckham is 31/32.

Football's potential in the America is much bigger than hockey 's potential.
I think you misunderstood me. Your first post here was so ridiculous that I thought you must be kidding. Since your follow up posts are serious...I guess you weren't. Here's a word for it: hyperbole. :)

We've been hearing for years that soccer is up and coming, and it hasn't happened yet. I'm not too worried about it, and it's a bit early to be writing the funeral notice for hockey. :biglaugh:

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
That is further from the truth then you realize. Soccer was significantly more popular back when Pele was around. People actually paid to go watch a soccer game in NY when Pele was there. Now a days the only people who go to soccer games are the people who got free tickets with their kids meals.

New York is a whole America?

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
A lot of that is due to the wonder of having more than 5 channels. Hope I'm not the only person here who remembers having 5 channels on the tv. :(

Yes, but this helps grow football's popularity. In the 70s virtually no football on the american channels?

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah, but conversely.. the NFL/MLB/NBA/Nascar has nothing to worry about in terms of the NHL overtaking them in popularity. I mean, you live in the OC right? You know that the ducks being a great team hardly register there. The ratings are horrid from that area.

True - the Ducks hardly register at all here. But - they have been at 100% or more capacity for their last 8 home games.
Southern California is a NBA hot bed. And believe it or not - probably the biggest soccer market in the U.S.A.
It doesn't help that Versus is hardly distributed here at all and the Ducks local tv station is KDOC (some channel harder to find then versus).
It will take a while for the Ducks to grow - most hockey fans around here are either Kings fans or fans of another team out of state. The Ducks were kind of a joke for so many years since they were named after a Disney movie. Maybe now that disney is out of the picture and they dropped the Mighty from their name the perception will change. But maybe not.

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
If you are such a soccer fan - go join a soccer board. Nobody cares for your baseless pessimism around here.

I'm a hockey and football fan. What I wrote is what I think is going to happen. If you don't like different opinions, you should move to North Korea.

GSC2k2*

A lot of that is due to the wonder of having more than 5 channels. Hope I'm not the only person here who remembers having 5 channels on the tv. :(
In Atlantic Canada in the '70's we had a grand total of 3 - CTV, CBC and french CBC.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm a hockey and football fan. What I wrote is what I think is going to happen. If you don't like different opinions, you should move to North Korea.
Another comment like that and you'll be looking for a different thread in a different forum.

Discuss the topic, not what others should do.

Lux Aurumque*

No offense to soccer fans, but its a boring sport to watch, Americans will more than likely stick with hockey, baseball, football and *cringes* basketball. All of which are arguably more exciting.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Football is taking over in Finland. MLS is going forward in America. Latino population is growing fast in america and most of them like football. Football is the biggest sports in the world. You can't stop football.

In Slovakia they have made a huge mistakes. Slovakian junior production is dying.

Throw in a global warming and it's harder and harder to find frozen outdoor rinks and ponds in the future.

It's over.

Good thing they invented artificial ice and indoor rinks then!

And hockey becoming less popular in Finland and Slovakia is hardly the end of the world.

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
I drive around an old 1961 Ford F350 Flatbed Dually without an exhaust, putting 80 bucks in gas a day...

im tired of walking to school in -30

ShooterMcGavin*

Can I be serious for a minute?

North america runs the world, that's fine a bunch of poor african kids like to play soccer but it will never even compare to hockeys popularity over here.

I think worldwide hockey has a bigger fanbase then sports like football. Look at countries like Sweden Finlad Russia Slovakia Czech Kazachstan etc..all of them are huge into hockey. Add the fact it's number one in Canada, and 4-5 in USA I think it has a pretty good backbone. Why all the negatism on hockey? It's very healthy right now. There even talking about expanding to a 32 team league. Every team is either making a revenue or breaking even, solid talent pool and the league is competitive and exciting. Go back to playing the flute or something Finlad dude. But as I was saying, I have no problem with soccer being the most played and watched sport. It's boring, and like I said if a bunch of poor kids from China and Africa enjoy it, thats fine. Life is good here and I'll continue to watch my hockey football baseball and basketball games. Kthnxbye.

Oh ya it's about -15 here. Global warning isn't that serious of a issue, as people we can fix it. It won't effect this generation either.

Ogopogo*

MLS is doing fine. When Pele and played in the America, nobody knew what football is. Pele was almost 40 and totally over the hill. Beckham is 31/32.

Football's potential in the America is much bigger than hockey 's potential.

You don't know much about the sports culture in America.

A few more tickets will sell for a couple of years. Then the game will have to sell people - which it will not in America. Beckham will go home and nobody will care about soccer in the US.

Just like every other time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad