News Article: Hockey is back in Manitoba!

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Why is Flin Flon in the SJHL and not the MJHL?

they were for awhile in another league playing the likes of teams from Snow Lake and Thompson to name a couple. This was about 40 years ago

They then got into the SJHL when the team was named the Creighton Bombers (guessing strictly SK teams at the time) but they still played in Flin Flon and then the SJHL allowed the change and took the Flin Flon Bombers into their league

As well, Flin Flon is further North than other MB teams

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Now that I think about it, I recall reading that the Brandon Wheat Kings were in the SJHL for a couple years in the 60s stemming from a dispute over subsidizing the travel costs of the other teams that had to go out there. It wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor in Flin Flon's decision...

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The MJHL is right to start getting a little cranky. New case numbers and TP rates are way down and people are getting vaccinated. It's time to start taking the foot off the brakes a little... let 'em play.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Hockey came back to Manitoba, and now it is toast!
MJHL cancels remainder of 2020-21 competitive season

Back in October, the MJHL was first out of the gate with the return of hockey. And now, with the NHL in full swing, plus the announced resumptions of the Manitoba Moose and Winnipeg Ice, their first-mover advantage has completely failed.

As we mark the demise of the short-lived MJHL season, let's look at the highlights of the storied history of the Winnipeg Freeze...

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
As a billet family, former MJHL player and actively involved in the league, this is a farce. It is nothing more than a tax dollars issue.

The province is removing and easing restrictions on activities and places which will pay provincial taxes. Malls, bars, lounges, museums, art galleries, restaurants etc etc.....those places will pay provincial taxes and they will risk it out.

Hockey pays such minimal tax that they don't see a positive side to it opening up. Our politicians don't care about the well being of kids in sport. So make them suffer but let the highest at-risk age demographic have freedoms.

I stopped by the outlet mall last weekend, it was an absolute zoo in there, minimal social distancing, groups of 10 standing together masks down, shoulder to shoulder. Ikea line up around the door and parking lots full everywhere. Many elderly people out and about. But healthy hockey players of any age are the issue? I don't get this at all.

Its all political....the churches were able to put political pressure on the Government to give in to allow churches to open. Hockey just doesn't have that political pressure.

I'm over hockey being cancelled, but what I'm not over is the non-sensical way these restrictions are being lifted with NO explanation.

In rural Manitoba, most towns don't rent out their ODR ice, it's for children/kids in the community to use 24/7. But in Winnipeg most community centres offer ice times for rent. So those inside the perimeter will suffer slightly less.

Most small towns won't be able to keep rinks open on the hopes and dreams that parents will pay large amounts for 1 on 1 training with a max of 6 kids on the ice. That's likely over $30 each for the hour of ice in most places (with instructor cost).

But I guess the rich people and people within the city limits will be allowed to have some hockey.

I'd say this will cost the MJHL dearly as kids look elsewhere to play and may remain with other leagues and organizations next season.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
As a billet family, former MJHL player and actively involved in the league, this is a farce. It is nothing more than a tax dollars issue.

The province is removing and easing restrictions on activities and places which will pay provincial taxes. Malls, bars, lounges, museums, art galleries, restaurants etc etc.....those places will pay provincial taxes and they will risk it out.

Hockey pays such minimal tax that they don't see a positive side to it opening up. Our politicians don't care about the well being of kids in sport. So make them suffer but let the highest at-risk age demographic have freedoms.

I stopped by the outlet mall last weekend, it was an absolute zoo in there, minimal social distancing, groups of 10 standing together masks down, shoulder to shoulder. Ikea line up around the door and parking lots full everywhere. Many elderly people out and about. But healthy hockey players of any age are the issue? I don't get this at all.

Its all political....the churches were able to put political pressure on the Government to give in to allow churches to open. Hockey just doesn't have that political pressure.

I'm over hockey being cancelled, but what I'm not over is the non-sensical way these restrictions are being lifted with NO explanation.

In rural Manitoba, most towns don't rent out their ODR ice, it's for children/kids in the community to use 24/7. But in Winnipeg most community centres offer ice times for rent. So those inside the perimeter will suffer slightly less.

Most small towns won't be able to keep rinks open on the hopes and dreams that parents will pay large amounts for 1 on 1 training with a max of 6 kids on the ice. That's likely over $30 each for the hour of ice in most places (with instructor cost).

But I guess the rich people and people within the city limits will be allowed to have some hockey.

I'd say this will cost the MJHL dearly as kids look elsewhere to play and may remain with other leagues and organizations next season.
Look you can be frustrated that hockey isn’t back as of yet at your level. But don’t come on here and spread this fake news bulls#*t. It’s attitudes like these that led to having hockey cancelled.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Look you can be frustrated that hockey isn’t back as of yet at your level. But don’t come on here and spread this fake news bulls#*t. It’s attitudes like these that led to having hockey cancelled.
There's nothing "fake" in that post.

Reactions: hockeyarena

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
There's nothing "fake" in that post.
There are fake insinuations being made. What’s more important restaurants opening up or a recreational sport? Restaurants have been allowed to re open with very tight restrictions. Hockey is a high risk activity and it’s one that we do without for the greater good.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Putting this in here as the de facto MJHL thread...

DAKOTA CC’S JONATHAN TOEWS SPORTSPLEX NEW HOME FOR MJHL’S WINNIPEG FREEZE | Winnipeg Freeze (wpgfreeze.ca)

The Freeze are moving to Dakota. So 50 Below takes a step away from The Rink, but I guess the Blues and the ICE's facilities will still be there.

In related news, the Freeze traded defenseman Brandt Young to Portage which is curious because I thought Young was headed to the ICE this season where they desperately need more defensive talent. Freeze get RHA player Peter Magnus and Naaman Hofer who played a few games as a d-man for the Terriers last season.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
There are fake insinuations being made. What’s more important restaurants opening up or a recreational sport? Restaurants have been allowed to re open with very tight restrictions. Hockey is a high risk activity and it’s one that we do without for the greater good.

That’s just not true. Not a good look to scream “fake news” at anything you disagree with. It’s very intellectually lazy.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There is no rational connection between cancelling hockey and restaurant restrictions.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
By the way is something wrong with my account. I posted that months ago and it was just seen now? Or am I seeing the quotes now?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I'm sure the Freeze will....probably win a game sometime this year.

Oh, who am I kidding. These games are going to be the equivalent of Scooby's Laff-a-lympics!
Aren't they just temporarily in Winnipeg whilst a new arena is built in a rural community?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Aren't they just temporarily in Winnipeg whilst a new arena is built in a rural community?

Are you thinking maybe of the Niverville team? That is totally separate as far as I know and they plan to start playing next season. But it does make me wonder about the Freeze's long term prospects... that team came about so suddenly I thought it was conjured up as a bit of a parking lot for ICE prospects who could play the COVID year close to home. I'm actually somewhat surprised that they continue to play.

Once the Niverville MJ team starts up, I wonder if that at point the Freeze will cease to exist?

Freeze play the Blues again tonight at 7:30!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Are you thinking maybe of the Niverville team? That is totally separate as far as I know and they plan to start playing next season. But it does make me wonder about the Freeze's long term prospects... that team came about so suddenly I thought it was conjured up as a bit of a parking lot for ICE prospects who could play the COVID year close to home. I'm actually somewhat surprised that they continue to play.

Once the Niverville MJ team starts up, I wonder if that at point the Freeze will cease to exist?

Freeze play the Blues again tonight at 7:30!
Yes, that was sudden last year when the league really needed a 12th team. I hope that the Freeze players go to Niverville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad