News Article: Hockey is back in Manitoba!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
My daughter is CSSHL in grade 10. Hockey is the centre of her social and athletic life (and now also academic). Obviously the girls were disappointed with the lack of a first half schedule, but were content practicing and playing exhibition games vs other manitoba teams and the Bisons.

She came home today after they cancelled hockey for the foreseeable future... she's crushed. I've never seen her like this.. she's upstairs in her dark room, I had to pry her out to eat something.

I hope all this is worth it because the mental and physical health of our youth are on the line as well. Think of all the 03 kids whose draft year it is. They've put their entire lives into a dream.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea both my kids season is put on hold and it really bites. I get it but f*** me winters in this province are just dandy because of kids hockey and Jets hockey and a couple of warm weather trips.

With none of the above and no social gathering...............

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yea both my kids season is put on hold and it really bites. I get it but f*** me winters in this province are just dandy because of kids hockey and Jets hockey and a couple of warm weather trips.

With none of the above and no social gathering...............

Same here, and we hadn't sniffed a scrimmage yet, let alone a game. We've already had three families drop out of my younger kid's team -- completely reasonably, given their specific circumstances -- and my sense anecdotally is that this patterns is likely to continue through the next few weeks. Maybe it restarts in the winter but I'm not placing any bets at this point, given the numbers and the risk going forward.

EDIT: We're likely on hold through November at this point. Hard to see the season kickstarting much before that, and as of this AM we are down another two players going forward.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It was a fun first week of MJHL hockey. I doubt there will be a second, particularly in the Southeast Division.

Your prediction almost came through, the Southeast made it three weeks before the wheels fell off the bus for three of the teams.

So what happens now to the Blues and the Freeze? Can our typhoid mary home teams just leave town to play on the road, or will the locals come out with torches and pitchforks send the buses back to covidville and force them to wait this out? Interestingly, Selkirk (which is also part of the red zone) was able to switch a home game to Steinbach over the weekend but I haven't heard of the Blues/Freeze doing the same yet.

While this situation stinks for everyone, you have to feel for Connor McClennon here. He had the injury last winter that took forever to heal, then when he was finally ready to play his first game back with the Ice, covid killed the season. Then after a long summer off he joins the Blues and gets ready to play his first game, and everything is suspended again.

Also, I wonder if the Freeze are going to get a little WHL help? They are looking like the Washington Generals out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: RetroWinnipeg

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Your prediction almost came through, the Southeast made it three weeks before the wheels fell off the bus for three of the teams.

So what happens now to the Blues and the Freeze? Can our typhoid mary home teams just leave town to play on the road, or will the locals come out with torches and pitchforks send the buses back to covidville and force them to wait this out? Interestingly, Selkirk (which is also part of the red zone) was able to switch a home game to Steinbach over the weekend but I haven't heard of the Blues/Freeze doing the same yet.

While this situation stinks for everyone, you have to feel for Connor McClennon here. He had the injury last winter that took forever to heal, then when he was finally ready to play his first game back with the Ice, covid killed the season. Then after a long summer off he joins the Blues and gets ready to play his first game, and everything is suspended again.

Also, I wonder if the Freeze are going to get a little WHL help? They are looking like the Washington Generals out there.
Seems to me like the MJHL is going to continue playing at all costs. Selkirk looks to be moving their home games to Steinbach because it’s in a different health region. I heard the Winnipeg teams might move to Portage. It’s not a great look to expose this loophole but it looks like that’s what they will do.

I don’t think it was a bright idea having fans in attendance for the first few weeks, but they gotta make money somehow I guess.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
MJHL updates current situation

This has to be it for the season, at least for now. All teams, players, staff and officials living in the Winnipeg metro area are now ineligible. Some players on teams like Steinbach will also fulfill those criteria and not be able to play.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Things aren't looking too good. This second wave just isn't showing any signs of settling down... I wonder how long the league can try to ride it out before they pull the plug on the whole thing?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Entire province of Manitoba entering Code Red effective Thursday, November 12

Full MJHL league suspended.

I think everyone expected bumps this season but a full month long suspension, after several teams were already suspended for a while, is beyond what anyone thought was going to happen when the season was being planned out last summer.

Unless this lockdown brings the numbers back to earth in a hurry, I'm afraid that this MJHL season is going to be kaput. It's not looking awesome for the Ice either.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
I think everyone expected bumps this season but a full month long suspension, after several teams were already suspended for a while, is beyond what anyone thought was going to happen when the season was being planned out last summer.

Unless this lockdown brings the numbers back to earth in a hurry, I'm afraid that this MJHL season is going to be kaput. It's not looking awesome for the Ice either.

Or the pro leagues, for that matter. Unless the province uses an Animal Farm mentality for the Jets.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Or the pro leagues, for that matter. Unless the province uses an Animal Farm mentality for the Jets.

I'm assuming that if there's going to be a NHL season it'll have to be some kind of hub city/bubble thing? I can't imagine that we'll have a normal NHL season where teams fly in and out of Winnipeg.

As we know, the NHL has the TV money to pull that off, but the AHL/CHL are on much shakier ground in that regard.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
f***ing idiots! Situations like this are why we are where we are. Another lock down is going to do massive harm to the economy of this province.
Agree.....It's this kind of "Rules Don't Apply to Us" mentality that makes the hospitalization curve so hard to flatten....Shame on them, I hope a huge fine/sanctions are slapped on them!

My kids are stuck not playing/practicing and these fools think they are above the rules that the rest of province is following for the greater good!

Reactions: sipowicz and Gotaf7

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree.....It's this kind of "Rules Don't Apply to Us" mentality that makes the hospitalization curve so hard to flatten....Shame on them, I hope a huge fine/sanctions are slapped on them!

My kids are stuck not playing/practicing and these fools think they are above the rules that the rest of province is following for the greater good!

ITA.

But I'm not expecting fines at this point, given the politics involved. Maybe I'll be surprised.

It is grim milestone after grim milestone from where I am. Everyone needs to get on board, and quickly.

Reactions: Gotaf7 and SCP Guy

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
MJHL pulls the plug until January 1, 2021.

It was the only reasonable thing to do, but man, it's sad. I thought we'd at least have a little bit of local hockey to enjoy. I made it to a measly 2.25 games (the .25 being the one suspended in the first period due to bad ice). I had such a great time with my kids, I was looking forward to more. Sigh.

With the way things are going across North America I would think the odds of a WHL and AHL season are starting to look pretty slim. The NHL might be the only realistic hope left.

Reactions: sipowicz

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

It was the only reasonable thing to do, but man, it's sad. I thought we'd at least have a little bit of local hockey to enjoy. I made it to a measly 2.25 games (the .25 being the one suspended in the first period due to bad ice). I had such a great time with my kids, I was looking forward to more. Sigh.

With the way things are going across North America I would think the odds of a WHL and AHL season are starting to look pretty slim. The NHL might be the only realistic hope left.

Yeah, it's tough, but was bound to happen given the numbers and pressure on hospital capacity now and going forward and the mixed messaging/ official guidance still being issued.

My kids didn't even manage an actual game, but we are going to try for a few split-squad outdoor practices w/ mandatory masks if make it back down to orange.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
My kids didn't even manage an actual game, but we are going to try for a few split-squad outdoor practices w/ mandatory masks if make it back down to orange.

Total downer for the kids... my son (U9) never made it out of the IP skates (at least he got nearly a couple months in) and my daughter made it through the very first weekend of Ringette For All before it all came crashing down :(

Reactions: JetsUK

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

The amount of planning and sketchy stuff that went on to pull this off is mind blowing. The president of the facility in Warren is the director of teams and tournaments for 50 Below. This just stinks all the way around.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Jan 1 is being overly optimistic imo. The 7 day average is still increasing. It's going to have to stabilize then substantially decrease. That's not happening in 7 weeks considering it's taken a couple of months of steady increases to lead us to where we are.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
The president of the facility in Warren is the director of teams and tournaments for 50 Below. This just stinks all the way around.

And is the guy that owns that North American Hockey Classic tournament that had those AAA teams from Sask coming over in secrecy to play. He should be fined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad