Pre-Game Talk: Hockey is back!!! Ducks @ Sharks at 7pm on 9/17/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Agree on adjustment but how are you going to fix his skating??

The NA game is faster b/c the ice sheet is narrower than European (Olympic) ice. Skating faster isn't his problem here as he's done well with his Liiga team. Hakanpaa needs to adjust to this ice again after playing four years on European (Olympic) ice. As a stay-at-home defensemen, he needs to focus on simplifying his game and taking better angles... but that's also the whole point of pre-season games. LoL

Again, he looked better as the game went after his disaster of a first period. In the the third period, the Sharks announcers were giving him praise. Those weren't our announcers, so that gives Hakanpaa and us a little positive thought. heh

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
The NA game is faster b/c the ice sheet is narrower than European (Olympic) ice. Skating faster isn't his problem here as he's done well with his Liiga team. Hakanpaa needs to adjust to this ice again after playing four years on European (Olympic) ice. As a stay-at-home defensemen, he needs to focus on simplifying his game and taking better angles... but that's also the whole point of pre-season games. LoL

Again, he looked better as the game went after his disaster of a first period. In the the third period, the Sharks announcers were giving him praise. Those weren't our announcers, so that gives Hakanpaa and us a little positive thought. heh
You make some good points however I will wait to see how he looks in the next few games he plays in. Just think Eakins is going to go with Vets to start, can't risk a developmental type player at the start of the season. Have to think the writing is on the wall since the Blues who have always gone with the heavy defense let him go. At 27 I think everyone has to be concerned with his learning curve.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You make some good points however I will wait to see how he looks in the next few games he plays in. Just think Eakins is going to go with Vets to start, can't risk a developmental type player at the start of the season. Have to think the writing is on the wall since the Blues who have always gone with the heavy defense let him go. At 27 I think everyone has to be concerned with his learning curve.

What vets are you identifying? We have Del Zotto, Holzer, and Wideman along with Hakanpaa. Out of that set, only Hakanpaa has had good reviews for his play. No one knows what his level of play is at the NHL level, but his competition is relatively similar to his. I don't mind a physical stay-at-home defensemen that plays a simple game. We're gonna need one of those types of players at the end of games b/c Fowler isn't one of those "clearing the crease" type guys.

I'll link Hakanpaa's EP page for your b/c I feel as though you're not doing enough research on him: link. He isn't a "development" guy at age 27. Here's a link about signing him from Anaheim Calling, who first broke the rumor: link. Another signing article about him from Pucks of a Feather: link. In both articles, they slot him as a #5/6 defensemen who's defensive-minded. Neither article calls Jani a game-changing defenseman. Both articles denote he's a very good defenseman in the Finnish League. Jani is a developed defenseman in the Finnish League, but we don't know how his game will translate here on NA ice or how long it takes to translate. But one game, or rather one period, should condemn Jani. Again, he did improve as the game went along.

We need a few defensemen to show up during these pre-season games b/c we really need it. I'm cheering for all of our defensemen b/c we need to fill spots #4 - 6! ha ha ha ha ha ha

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Was the difference in this game just energy or was there a clear stylistic change from last season?
I would say both. What impressed me was that Ducks got behind early and kept skating. It seemed like last year effort would lag when they gave up an early goal. More movement generally, it seemed that players had more freedom to use their skills. Guys like Ritchie would still dump and chase, but Sprong carried the puck a lot more than he did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad