Pre-Game Talk: Hockey is back!!! Ducks @ Sharks at 7pm on 9/17/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Pretty crazy that the team barely had a few practices and they already have a scheduled game in less than a week. I wish they streamed the game on the website. I hope one of our young dmen step it up... Larsson and Guhle haven't shown much yet and I'm worried Murray will force and overpay to address this potential weakness (and probably give up some of our young forwards).

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Ducks I believe are only televising a couple of home games. Obviously the away game against the Kings will be televised by them locally.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ugh so the reporting from this game will be very limited. It`s something, I guess

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Apparently sharks app is streaming the game....get the VPN ready

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My body is ready.

Id love to see guys like getz/rakell/fowler/Manson return back to their previous form
and our young players to continue develop @ the NHL level(very excited to see terry/steel potentially comtois/jones/lundy/mahura)

I hope our prospects continue to do well @ what ever level they are at.

The hardest part about last year for me personally was seeing the players look miserable and lost majority of the season... at the end of the day hockey is supposed to be fun, and I don't think anyone on the roster was having fun.... so far from the sounds of it the team seems a lot more relaxed. Idk how to rate this team on paper, but if they are out there relaxed and having fun at the very least it should be an entertaining product for the fans.

Specifically the Winnipeg game was tough to watch, every goal the whole bench was just looking to RC like get Gibson out of there he doesn't deserve this... and RC just kept keeping him in. I hope gibby comes back and has a strong season.... but that type of season/coaching could really mess with a players phycology

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah that game when RC refused to pull Gibby for an extended period of time was brutal.

Carlyle got worse every season, rapidly. He basically sucked the life out of this team. And seeing how teammates were standing by Gibby that game, it looks it was more of a coaches fault. But we'll see, the players have every opportunity to have a breakout year although it will be more difficult. Let's see if Getzy is still a 1C caliber

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah that game when RC refused to pull Gibby for an extended period of time was brutal.

Carlyle got worse every season, rapidly. He basically sucked the life out of this team. And seeing how teammates were standing by Gibby that game, it looks it was more of a coaches fault. But we'll see, the players have every opportunity to have a breakout year although it will be more difficult. Let's see if Getzy is still a 1C caliber
That game was awful, the fact that BM allowed it to get to that point was ridiculous.

I think as fans(specially a lot of us that talk on forums a lot), we are pretty emotionally invested in the team and players... id almost compare it to having a bunch of children... and you want to see them succeed.... and when it got to that point it was very tough to watch, like I legitmentally started feeling bad for the players(specially Gibson, and Lindholm, who seemed to be the most visibly frustrated).

As for Getzlaf… I think hell hit 70+ points this year if he can stay healthy... and I think kase/rakell will net 30.

Hopefully the rest of the roster can fill in with some decent showings.... you kinda know what youll get from guys like Henrique/silfverberg.

Steel/Terry/Ritchie(comtois) are kinda the wild cards that can really make or break the season for us.

I really hope to see a line up along the lines of
Comtois Getzlaf Kase
Rakell Steel Silf
Ritchie Henrique Terry

I know a lot of people think sprong needs to be in the top 6, but I just don't see enough from him I don't mind putting him on the 4th line, and double shifting him throughout the game(and giving him some PP time).

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I agree that I just don't feel Sprong gets on the top 3 lines as RW...Kase, Silf, and Terry all are priorities for different reasons. But I do want him skating regularly. I feel he's put in a ton of work and effort, and deserves the shot.

I still don't know who makes the team...I'm with some of the others that think Comtois would be better served by developing another year. At this point, even though he hasn't produced well, I think I prefer Jones just due to how massive, quick, and relentless he is.

Consider that we should be closer to rolling 4 lines than ever. Even if we have, say, Jones and Sprong on the 4th line, they should still get reasonable minutes.

LW then would be Rakell, Ritchie, Shore, and Jones. Don't think we need Deslauriers except as backup.

With Jones and Sprong on the 4th and probably getting slightly less ice time, give Jones some PK time, and Sprong some PP time. In my mind, it works out.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think Steel will score some goals this season, puck seems to find the net with him and the way he played last year in the NHL has me thinking he could have 18 to 22 goals this year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I agree that I just don't feel Sprong gets on the top 3 lines as RW...Kase, Silf, and Terry all are priorities for different reasons. But I do want him skating regularly. I feel he's put in a ton of work and effort, and deserves the shot.

I still don't know who makes the team...I'm with some of the others that think Comtois would be better served by developing another year. At this point, even though he hasn't produced well, I think I prefer Jones just due to how massive, quick, and relentless he is.

Consider that we should be closer to rolling 4 lines than ever. Even if we have, say, Jones and Sprong on the 4th line, they should still get reasonable minutes.

LW then would be Rakell, Ritchie, Shore, and Jones. Don't think we need Deslauriers except as backup.

With Jones and Sprong on the 4th and probably getting slightly less ice time, give Jones some PK time, and Sprong some PP time. In my mind, it works out.
Agreed, with the way Eakins will run things the 4th line should get at least 8 minutes a night & then add in like 2 to 4 minutes of PK for Jones & 2 to 4 minutes of PP for Sprong.
I feel confident we'll be seeing Sprong firing his slapper on the PP and Jones creating scoring chances on the PK as well as him frustrating other teams :)

Reactions: OCSportsfan

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Steel will score some goals this season, puck seems to find the net with him and the way he played last year in the NHL has me thinking he could have 18 to 22 goals this year.

The swapping of Steel for Kesler is going to give the Ducks a significant boost in so many different ways. One way is that Steel can actually skate faster than Kesler, so that 200-foot game that GM Murray likes will be there. Another is scoring production.

Kelser: 60 games, scoring 5 goals + 3 assists = 8 points, and -19 rating. ATOI = 16:30

Although Steel did play in a total of 22 games, his production splits revealed improvement.
2018: 13 games, scoring 1 goal + 2 assists = 3 points, and -3 rating
2019: 9 games, scoring 5 goals + 3 assists = 8 points, and +5 rating

Steel's total ATOI = 15:58

Swapping Steel for Kesler (this year's and last year's Kesler, not the dominant Kesler we haven't seen in a couple of years) is the biggest game changer going into this season! Play his cards right, and Steel could vie for the Calder Trophy.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Agreed, with the way Eakins will run things the 4th line should get at least 8 minutes a night & then add in like 2 to 4 minutes of PK for Jones & 2 to 4 minutes of PP for Sprong.
I feel confident we'll be seeing Sprong firing his slapper on the PP and Jones creating scoring chances on the PK as well as him frustrating other teams :)

Those few minutes for Jones when he has the capacity to play in the AHL as a first or second line winger doesn't make any sense to keep him up at the NHL level as a fourth liner.

Sprong needs to be in the top-9 to keep that confidence going. He finished fifth in goal scoring for the Ducks last year. We want to negate that goal scoring by limiting his playing time on ES, where he scored 12 of his 14 goals on?

I really don't know why Sprong gets a dismissive rap. TBH, I didn't care about Sprong until doing research on the team this past summer and came away wondering, "What an accomplishment for Sprong!" While being thrown up and down the lineup, he still got his goals. A few of them were self generated on a break or a seeing-eye shot from an acute angle.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Firstly, I think I'd prefer to see a bit more even playing time for all forward lines. You can lean a bit more on the top 2 lines, but let's say (given an average game not including special teams), I'd like to see 16, 16, 14, 12, unless one line is just having an amazing night. You'll get the special teams players getting a minute or two more of ice time average based on what calls are being made, but that would mean Getzy would be leaned on less, keeping him fresher throughout the season.

Then, in this type of situation, Jones and Sprong, even on the 4th line, could have enough playing time (unless you only consider 16-18 minutes a night to be worth it for playing against NHL level competition).

I don't discount Sprong at all. I just look at Terry, Kase, and Silf, and think all of them will be prioritized. Or do you think one of those 3 should be in the 4RW spot? But on PP, you can roll 4 forwards on both lines...Terry, Kase, and Sprong can get PP time, while Silf will get PK time. Being a regular on a PP unit should also give him some confidence.

And, of course, if we get a situation where one of the other RWs gets hurt (knock on wood), push him to one of those lines, and bring in Sherwood (or use Grant or whoever) to cover that 4RW spot.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Oh and one more point, IMO. Sprong gaining confidence doesn't need to necessarily be in a top 9 spot. All he probably needs is to be a regular in the lineup. Last year he was in and out. Make him a permanent fixture and I'm pretty sure he's a happy camper...at least compared to how he's been treated to this point.

And then don't make the 4th line a throwaway line. Putting Jones on that line would make it a bit more legit, I think.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Firstly, I think I'd prefer to see a bit more even playing time for all forward lines. You can lean a bit more on the top 2 lines, but let's say (given an average game not including special teams), I'd like to see 16, 16, 14, 12, unless one line is just having an amazing night. You'll get the special teams players getting a minute or two more of ice time average based on what calls are being made, but that would mean Getzy would be leaned on less, keeping him fresher throughout the season.

Then, in this type of situation, Jones and Sprong, even on the 4th line, could have enough playing time (unless you only consider 16-18 minutes a night to be worth it for playing against NHL level competition).

I don't discount Sprong at all. I just look at Terry, Kase, and Silf, and think all of them will be prioritized. Or do you think one of those 3 should be in the 4RW spot? But on PP, you can roll 4 forwards on both lines...Terry, Kase, and Sprong can get PP time, while Silf will get PK time. Being a regular on a PP unit should also give him some confidence.

And, of course, if we get a situation where one of the other RWs gets hurt (knock on wood), push him to one of those lines, and bring in Sherwood (or use Grant or whoever) to cover that 4RW spot.
Yeah a Jones/Rowney/Sprong line could get 10-12 minutes & then add in the extra time that Jones gets on the PK & Sprong on the PP.
Also OT ! Sprong should be pretty good in OT like he was last season, all that extra space for him to skate around & put the puck in the net.
An OT unit of Henrique(or Steel)/Sprong + Fowler or Lindholm should get the job done.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The swapping of Steel for Kesler is going to give the Ducks a significant boost in so many different ways. One way is that Steel can actually skate faster than Kesler, so that 200-foot game that GM Murray likes will be there. Another is scoring production.

Kelser: 60 games, scoring 5 goals + 3 assists = 8 points, and -19 rating. ATOI = 16:30

Although Steel did play in a total of 22 games, his production splits revealed improvement.
2018: 13 games, scoring 1 goal + 2 assists = 3 points, and -3 rating
2019: 9 games, scoring 5 goals + 3 assists = 8 points, and +5 rating

Steel's total ATOI = 15:58

Swapping Steel for Kesler (this year's and last year's Kesler, not the dominant Kesler we haven't seen in a couple of years) is the biggest game changer going into this season! Play his cards right, and Steel could vie for the Calder Trophy.
Not having Kesler out there during a PP will help alot.
Kesler should have been counted as part of the other teams PK unit when he was out there for a Ducks PP.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
1. I'd be surprised if Deslauries isn't a fixture on the 4th line. Bob gave up a 4th rounder for him, remember?
2. Stocking the lineup with all offensive wingers won't happen. The PK needs to be accounted for.
3. I like Sprong as much as the next guy (probably more) but he has to be better in his end of the ice to play on a line that gets substantial minutes. That being said, there is absolutely no way he shouldn't be on the PP.
4. If it comes down to Comtois v. Jones, Comtois is the guy I want on the roster. He can PK, will mix it up, and can score goals.
5. Steel being better than last year's Kesler is a low bar. He needs to be much better than that.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I think Comtos should start in the AHL. I dont think Jones has the high end offensive package your getting with Comtois. Give Maxime 1st line and 1st PP in San Diego for awhile and let Jones play 4th line and PK in Anaheim.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I think Comtos should start in the AHL. I dont think Jones has the high end offensive package your getting with Comtois. Give Maxime 1st line and 1st PP in San Diego for awhile and let Jones play 4th line and PK in Anaheim.
I disagree. From what I've seen, Comtois has the tools to become an impact player in the NHL, and I want to see him do it. FWIW, I don't see a big disparity in offensive capability among any of our "top 3" lines. Whether it's Ritchie/Getz/Kase-Terry, or Raks/Steel/Silf, or Comtois/Rico/Kase-Terry, all 3 can be viable scoring threats. Comtois helps make them that, which Jones doesn't IMHO. Maybe Sprong earns his way into the top 9, I don't know. But I like having 3 lines that other teams can't ignore.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Oh and one more point, IMO. Sprong gaining confidence doesn't need to necessarily be in a top 9 spot. All he probably needs is to be a regular in the lineup. Last year he was in and out. Make him a permanent fixture and I'm pretty sure he's a happy camper...at least compared to how he's been treated to this point.

And then don't make the 4th line a throwaway line. Putting Jones on that line would make it a bit more legit, I think.

Are those minutes equal? Rowney is not the same as a Getz, Rico, nor Steel. Rowney is a grinding, fourth line center. Grant has more offensive sense than Rowney as a center. Just because you throw minutes around doesn't mean they're of the same quality minutes. Might as well start Lundestrom as the 4C with Jones and Sprong. But if you do that, then you rob Lundestrom minutes to develop offense as a 1C at the AHL level. Jones is in the same situation as you've predetermined Jones to only be a 4LW than to hone onto those scoring prowess. As for Sprong, you gotta spring him free. Rowney isn't that center to do that.

It's a great problem to have with so many forwards vying for a few open spots. Some players are waiver eligible. Some players are not. But we also have to throw in context in the GM's POV. There's a reason why GM Murray traded a 4th round draft pick for Deslauriers. Bob aims to put up a grinding fourth line that might be suffocate the opposing lines' first or second lines as respite for our 1st or 2nd lines. That's a grinding, veteran fourth line. Jones and Sprong are top-9 forwards who need centers that are more offensive minded than Rowney.

Jones, Steel, Terry, and Comtois are waiver eligible. Out of those four, Steel is the only one that has a set position b/c he'll be replacing Kesler. I like Terry as a playmaker and on the PP, but he isn't a goal scorer like Sprong at the moment. I'd rather have both Comtois and Jones as top-6 LW's at the AHL.

NHL forward prospects production, 2018-19
Sprong: 47 games, scoring 14 goals + 5 assists = 19 points
Terry: 32 games, scoring 4 goals + 9 assists = 13 points
Sherwood: 50 games, scoring 6 goals + 6 assists = 12 points
Steel: 22 games, scoring 6 goals + 5 assists = 11 points
Jones: 30 games, scoring 2 goals + 3 assists = 5 points

We have a budding goal scorer on our roster and you want to bury him on the fourth line with Rowney as his center, where the game there is to cycle and get dirty goals (which fits Sherwood than Sprong).

I guess the way you see things feels like something out of a video game that doesn't take into account several other factors. Still, the Ducks do have that many forwards to where you can construct such a 4th line like that. It's a great problem to have and it'll be interesting how things shake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad