Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

Danmark

May 5, 2014
He can bring Samuel Duggan with him ;) - Could be nice to see him against the danish youngsters :D !

- Something new about Duggans tryout, or what it was, in Sweden?

neutronstar

Mar 1, 2013
If he has dual citizenship he has to play in the UK for 2 years after his 10th birthday to become eligible

is there an upper age limit? eg my boy is 18 and never played in the uk, so he would be classed as an import until hes played 2 years in his country of birth after the 2 years he could play abroad then come cack and not be classed as an import?

thanks again

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
is there an upper age limit? eg my boy is 18 and never played in the uk, so he would be classed as an import until hes played 2 years in his country of birth after the 2 years he could play abroad then come cack and not be classed as an import?

thanks again

From what I heard with the Liam Stewart situation, he'd still be classed as an import.

London-born but California raised was eligible for GB because he didn't hold a USA passport but if he ends up in EIHL, he'll be classed as an import.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

thanks again

He would still be an import in the domestic leagues regardless of nationality as he didn't play 2 years here as a junior (Under 18). But after 2 years of playing senior league hockey he could play for GB, but is still an import. Being an import has nothing to do with citizenship, for example you could be 100% Latvian, emigrate to the UK as a child and play Under 16 for 2 years, and you're not an import in senior hockey even if you still only have Latvian citizenship.

Duff35

May 1, 2013
Wisbech, UK
I know it's a horrible thing to say but something that has been really pissing me off lately is Sport England and other governing bodies are only interested in giving funding to hockey if it's for women or disabled people. I think there's a team in Slough for kids with learning difficulties and they get all their ice time and equipment paid for by Sport England.

They give a **** load of money to sledge hockey but give nothing to normal hockey

Probably because sledge hockey has a strategy, a single governing body and some goals that it can take to Sport England and use to make a presentation to secure such funding

British ice hockey couldn't organise a bake sale.

Amusingly, the man who helped sledge hockey get to where it is is frequently met with hostility by ice hockey fans because the plan he proposed for ice hockey basically meant bursting the bubble the Brit game lives in.

So they want the funding, but don't want anything to change.

I am sure you can see the problem there.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Probably because sledge hockey has a strategy, a single governing body and some goals that it can take to Sport England and use to make a presentation to secure such funding

British ice hockey couldn't organise a bake sale.

Amusingly, the man who helped sledge hockey get to where it is is frequently met with hostility by ice hockey fans because the plan he proposed for ice hockey basically meant bursting the bubble the Brit game lives in.

So they want the funding, but don't want anything to change.

I am sure you can see the problem there.

That's only part of it though, Sport England are mostly just interested in box-ticking.

The reason he is met with hostility is because most of it is rubbish. It's all a load of nonsense about restricting the age of players in the adult leagues and does very little to address the issues with the junior system and I would go as far as to say his plans further exacerbate those issues because he's more concerned with reducing the mythical "travel costs" than playing competitive games.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
The development plan seemed to center around NIHL. There was no significant changes made to junior hockey which we all know needs serious changing and where the most important development years are spent.

It's tough to ignore that the man making the plan is heavily involved in an NIHL team. Isn't that exactly what happens inside that bubble? People only looking out for their slice of the pie.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
What kind of changes would be necessary to improve British hockey player development? A youth league system like the Canadian Hockey League? Youth academies?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
What kind of changes would be necessary to improve British hockey player development? A youth league system like the Canadian Hockey League? Youth academies?

Okanagan already has a branch in Swindon and they're having pretty good results. 3 current players on the OHA U18 team are playing for the GB u20 national team (+1 alternate) and there will be even more on the GB u18 national team.

Pretty much everything needs to change top to bottom. Coaching, recruiting, officiating, use of ice time, etc.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
IHUK finally appoint an official new Chairman

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/anderson-appointed-ihuk-chairman-p195061

"Jim Anderson has been appointed as chairman of Ice Hockey UK for the next three years.

Anderson took over on an interim basis when Mohammed Ashraff stood down from the position back in February."

They should spend less time telling us that the guy that was sitting in as chairman will be the chairman and more time finding a coach for the GB Senior team. It's December and still no word.

I'm not sure how they haven't yet. You don't have to scout, you don't have to run camps, you just have to name the top British scorers in the EIHL to a roster and bring them to the event for a week and it's forever on your resume as the Head Coach of the GB national team.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's not a GB Senior coach but it's something:
http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/u20s-league-moves-step-closer--p195088

Plans for a nationwide under-20s league in the UK have taken a step closer following an official letter of invitation to all clubs.
The proposal will see the formation of an under-20 league of the UK’s young elite prospects.
This will bring the country in line with the leading ice hockey nations across Europe and meet IIHF participation criteria.
The new league is planned to get under way from the 2015-16 season.
Ice Hockey UK chairman, Jim Anderson, said: "We had a very positive board meeting this month and it was agreed we now should push this forward as quickly as possible.
"The initial idea back in June has been well received from clubs across the country and in a number of different UK leagues.
"The letter has now been sent out and we are expecting a very good response.
"It will be a league where our young talent can get ice time and flourish - and will bring us into line with some of the top ice hockey countries in the world.
"A under-20s league is required by the IIHF for us to enter a team into the U20 World Championship, so it is very important in that sense too."

I'm a little bit worried about the number of teams it was sent out to. I guess they have to find out the interest levels before they can make serious plans but I'm going to be pissed if we see Guildford beating Lee Valley by 30 goals in a U20 league.

I do like this:
Peter Russell ‏@PeteRussel 8h8 hours ago
Excited to hear my @okanaganUK academy have applied to be part of the new under 20 league. This league set up is a huge step forward #U20

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Think the U18 WC proved that perhaps OHA may not be the best thing... Especially for the defence.

Agreed, those 16 year old should have dominated that U18 tournament :help:

Best part of the post is that it came as OHA U18 are dominating Coventry in the U18 National Final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad