Hockey Books for a hockey fan at Christmas

trish

Sep 7, 2010
Just finished "The Boys of Winter" by Wayne Coffee, about the 1980 US Olympic team... Also ordered "The Final Call" by Kerry Fraser. Supposed to be in on the 22nd - hope it's here for Christmas!

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Bobby Hull's new book!

Great! Comes with a DVD!

Got it for Christmas. Mainly a picture book with some great photos. Liked the early ones best. A good comment from Hull regarding Mikita & him playing on the St. Catherine's Teepees. "I was the centre & Stan was a RW. They eventually figured out that I wasn't smart enough to play centre & Stan was too smart to be a winger"

The book was sponsored by the Blackhawks and there is absolutely nothing in the book on Hull's WHA years.

DVD is mostly ceremonies & interviews. Would have preferred more videos of Hull in action.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I just found The Red Machine in a used book store :yo: Near-mind condition for 7 bucks! Also found The Hammer for 5 bucks.

Also picked up Kings of the Ice... and of course Tough Guy.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
This is as good a place to put this as anywhere.

I am looking for some good books to kickstart my hockey library. Since my knowledge of the game's strategy, tactics and so on aren't the best, I'm looking for books along that line.

My favorite sport is baseball, so here's a couple books along the line of the books I want. Not coaching manuals with diagrams, necessarily, but stuff geared towards the professional game.

Weaver on Strategy

Pure Baseball by Keith Hernandez

How to Watch Baseball (terribly obvious name, but a really good book)

All good books if you're in the same boat as me in regards to baseball.

Any suggestions?

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
Got the new Don Cherry "Hockey Stories Pt 2" book and am LOVING that so far. Also working through Brunt's "Gretzky's Tears", which seems pretty good. Bought "Making Of Slapshot" for a buddy, so that one will get around to me at some point, I'm sure -- looking forward to it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This is as good a place to put this as anywhere.

I am looking for some good books to kickstart my hockey library. Since my knowledge of the game's strategy, tactics and so on aren't the best, I'm looking for books along that line.

My favorite sport is baseball, so here's a couple books along the line of the books I want. Not coaching manuals with diagrams, necessarily, but stuff geared towards the professional game.

Weaver on Strategy

Pure Baseball by Keith Hernandez

How to Watch Baseball (terribly obvious name, but a really good book)

All good books if you're in the same boat as me in regards to baseball.

Any suggestions?

It sounds like "The Hockey handbook" by Lloyd Percival might interest you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad