Hockey Books for a hockey fan at Christmas

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I wonder what books you guys are going to buy your loved ones or for yourself at Xmas

I just picked up

Retired Numbers
A Celebration of Excellence and they go over every teams retired #'s .The author Andre Podnieks does a nice job on each players entry here in the book.

One minus is they do not highlight in any detail other then a list for the honoured sweaters from the most important team in the hockey universe.:D

The book has a nice layout and design and it is full of details plus at least a pic of each player.

I have bought a few books over the last few months I'll post them here over the next few weeks

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Mad Men of Hockey by Trent Frayne

Out of print but you can track it down. Absolutely crazy stories about old schools players like Bobby Baun, Eddie Shore, etc...

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
I'm currently reading "Gretzky's Tears" by Stephen Brunt and it's quite good. If you have a #99 fan on your list, this is a definite buy!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Phil Esposito's Thunder and Lightning (a few years old but worth it)
Lets Talk Hockey: 50 Wonderful Debates
Haven't read it yet, but Bobby Hull's book looks good

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
If you want to get a different view of the NHL, you might want to read, BETWEEN the LINES. It's the story of HOF Linesman, Ray Scapinello. Written by Ray Scapinello and Rob Simpson. He was in the league for 33 years, officiated in 2,500 regular season games, 426 playoff games, and worked 20 Stanley Cup final series. He never missed an assigned game.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This new IIHF book that's out, really looking forward to reading that.

I just got it in the mail. It's a useful resource but I was disappointed that it only has tournament-by-tournament stats for active players. Retired ones just have career totals broken down by type of tournament.

i.e:

WC: 46-12-34-46-12
Olympics: 8-1-2-3-4
WJC: 14-10-12-22-6

Corey Perry*

The Game by Ken Dryden is basically his auto-biography. I liked it and if you are a Dryden and/or Habs fan (not talking to the op, just to anybody in general) you might like it.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I'm asking for "The Greatest Game" for Christmas (the one about the Habs-Red Army New Year's Eve game). I just finished the Jacques Plante book and really want to get that one.

I also recently finished both of James Duthie's books. Both were worth reading; pretty entertaining if you like his style. I bought "They Call Me Killer" at a 67's game and got it signed by Brian Kilrea.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Bill Meltzer's Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask is a great read.

thinkinfeller

Jun 20, 2010
'The Game of Our Lives' - Peter Gzowski

This is my favorite hockey book of all time. Gzowski spent an entire season with the Oilers ('81 if I remember right) before they had won a Stanley Cup, and the book follows along with a behind the scenes look at a very young NHL franchise. A great perspective of players like Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Anderson, and Moog, aswell as then owner Peter Pocklington.

If you're looking for hockey books for young readers, I would recommend The Scott Young trilogy -- 'Scrubs on Skates', 'Boy on Defence', and 'Boy at Leafs Camp'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad