HNIC: The Rogers era begins to mixed reaction from viewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
I was surprised during an intermission of the 2nd game last night, when, for highlights, they showed a clip each of two of the NHL games, and then Blue Jays pre-season highlights. Don't get me wrong, I love the Jays, and I hope Montreal (where they were playing last night) gets a team back too, but MLB highlights on HNIC!?!? Probably going to see a lot of that for the next 12 springs, since Rogers owns the Blue Jays.

Hopefully Ron's role in-studio is boosted once Hometown Hockey wraps today. Similar to how they brought him in for the coverage of Jean Beliveau's memorial service. He hasn't exactly been living out of a trailer for the last 25 weeks, but his schedule hasn't been that desirable either. He usually does Coach's Corner live in Toronto Saturday and then hops on a plane to make it to Hometown Hockey's host community in time for the Sunday broadcast. When this isn't possible due to flight schedules / more remote locations, Ron gets there early and does Coach's Corner using a split screen with Don in studio by himself.

Getting a free preview of TVA Sports (national French language broadcaster) and while they're not owned by Rogers, I was surprised to see them using some of Rogers graphics/sounds. Turns out they have a resource-sharing agreement in place. This goes beyond NHL hockey as well. I've noticed they've broadcast lots of Blue Jays games in recent years, and probably share resource for other Rogers-produced sports it carries as well.

On another Rogers tie-in note, I've noticed a new show of theirs (Young Drunk Punk) is produced in association with CBC. An interesting off-shoot of their hockey relationship.

Last week was the first time I saw them throw to sportsnet central during the intermission. I was surprised it took them that long to utilize that potential

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That sky cam is really annoying. I don't mind it for a few seconds during a breakout, but staying with it for half a power-play is ridiculous.

Rogers plans to install it at Centre Bell for the playoffs.

rogers-1.jpg

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If Bettman was smart, he should just let Rogers have the NHL rights forever because that way Rogers will keep doing what he tells them to do. Don't show fights or scrums until it's half-way through, don't let Ron MacLean speak his mind, cut Don Cherry's minutes, and don't ask good questions in interviews with Bettman.

A general "sports news" break is the same thing that TSN has been doing for years.

I wonder what would have happened if Sportsnet had used a different name for their Saturday night broadcasts (on all platforms including the CBC)? Would people have been complaining as much? My guess is that we'd primarily see people going "Why didn't they get the rights to the HNIC name from CBC? It doesn't matter if it's completely different. Saturday night hockey should be called HNIC."
Everybody wouldn't complain about it then. HNIC is special and Canadian history, the new HNIC is just dumb. It's not unprofessional, and poor analysis. Nick Kyperos is usually playing hockey on set with Kelly Hrudey (who is great though), Strombo keeps saying "the game we love so much" or acts like he knows something about hockey. Some guy who sounds like Batman is doing the voiceovers.

This new stuff is dog **** from top to bottom. Old Hockey Night in Canada was good, quality stuff. It didn't have Gary Bettman written all over it either.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
A general "sports news" break is the same thing that TSN has been doing for years.

I wonder what would have happened if Sportsnet had used a different name for their Saturday night broadcasts (on all platforms including the CBC)? Would people have been complaining as much? My guess is that we'd primarily see people going "Why didn't they get the rights to the HNIC name from CBC? It doesn't matter if it's completely different. Saturday night hockey should be called HNIC."

Different people would be complaining louder.

People don't like change, and while I wouldn't have liked it, I would have preferred that to what is being presented now. It all depends on what people wanted. I would have liked to see a brand new broadcast instead of Rodgers killing HNIC and wearing its skin.

HNIC as it existed is dead, there is no question about that, and in 4 years hopefully it dies on CBC, and isn't extended to Sportsnet.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think there will be major lay offs this summer maybe even some of the bigger names.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The skycam is literally the only new thing I like. I love being able to see the whole ice as the break out happens, and even using it for long stretches of PP time, I love it.

The only thing I don't like is when they cut back to the standard cameras it feels very jarring.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The skycam is literally the only new thing I like. I love being able to see the whole ice as the break out happens, and even using it for long stretches of PP time, I love it.

The only thing I don't like is when they cut back to the standard cameras it feels very jarring.

I like the behind the net cam for replays, but when they continually use it on a Power Play it drives me wild.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Is Bob Cole going to call the important playoff games? (i.e. 3rd round and beyond)

This is the only possible redeeming quality. If I have to listen to Paul Romanuk and Dave "elf" Randorf call LA vs Chicago I think I'm going to pass out from frustration.

I am a bit out of the loop, does TSN get any playoff series?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Watching the Skycam last night, it was terrible. Zoomed too far out, can't follow the play and the wire it's on caused the camera to sway - meaning the POV wasn't exactly static.

GoHabsGo57

Feb 8, 2008
Cornwall, Ontario
Is Bob Cole going to call the important playoff games? (i.e. 3rd round and beyond)

This is the only possible redeeming quality. If I have to listen to Paul Romanuk and Dave "elf" Randorf call LA vs Chicago I think I'm going to pass out from frustration.
I'm sure it's going to be Paul Romanuk doing one conference final, and of course Jim Hughson doing the other.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Watching the Skycam last night, it was terrible. Zoomed too far out, can't follow the play and the wire it's on caused the camera to sway - meaning the POV wasn't exactly static.

Ya they also seem to have problem with the "white" from the ice and the jerseys...vs the closer up shots.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com

the 360 style of swivel i have to turn away ... i get dizzy ... especially if it is zooming in or out at the same time ... i think it has potential ...

i think the nfl has made some changes to how they use it ...

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but the CGY - WPG game on the last day somehow isn't national.

SN really dropped the ball there. Very probable that that could be the only game that matters on that day. (From a canadian POV especially) I can't see it not mattering for one of the teams at least, and it probably will matter to both.

ExpatHabsFan

Oct 6, 2014
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but the CGY - WPG game on the last day somehow isn't national.

SN really dropped the ball there. Very probable that that could be the only game that matters on that day. (From a canadian POV especially) I can't see it not mattering for one of the teams at least, and it probably will matter to both.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SN couldn't make it national. It's an afternoon game on a Saturday, which means they don't have exclusivity, and TSN holds the Jets' regional rights. SN could have only made it national with TSN's permission (I only remember this happening once: WPG-VAN on Tuesday Mar 24). SN has dropped the ball many times with this new NHL coverage, but this isn't on them.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but SN couldn't make it national. It's an afternoon game on a Saturday, which means they don't have exclusivity, and TSN holds the Jets' regional rights. SN could have only made it national with TSN's permission (I only remember this happening once: WPG-VAN on Tuesday Mar 24). SN has dropped the ball many times with this new NHL coverage, but this isn't on them.

They don't have exclusive rights on all Saturday games? Are you sure that's how that works?

EDIT: Apparently I'm wrong, according to an article I read. Why didn't they get Saturday afternoon rights?

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Same applies to Ottawa at Philadelphia. ( also a TSN regional )

Not a case of SN dropping the puck, NHL obviously wanted to keep the local windows open.

GoHabsGo57

Feb 8, 2008
Cornwall, Ontario

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I've barely watched any Rogers' games since I have Gamecentre but it seems like they are pushing Ron McLean out. Too bad the fans have to lose.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Just bring Milbury back.. him and Kypreos can duke it out every intermission and they won't have to worry about providing decent analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad