HNIC: The Rogers era begins to mixed reaction from viewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Tonight marks a pretty sad day for me and millions of other Canadians as Hockey Night leaves the public network and becomes a part of the Canadian media duopoly. Yes it will still be on my cbc channel for now, but it will be much much different. No longer a celebration of Canada, its people and its game HNIC becomes another outlet to flog phones and upsell your subscriptions to everything! Very sad indeed.

HNIC-Old.svg

Last edited by a moderator:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Come on, stop with all the drama.

I dont understand how so many people put CBC/Radio-Canada on such a pedestal, and act as if Rogers, Bell and Quebecor were aliens right out of the film "They live".

There is basically no difference!

CBC/Rad-Can are useless organisations giving completely outdated radio and TV services trough a mandate given when there were basically no private broadcasters! Well guess what? There are a crapload of tv and radio channels in 2014!

The CBC and Rad-Can (and tele-Quebec) are positively the worst waste of money by the Canadian (and Québécois) governments today.

Seriously, I'm generally completely against privatisation when it comes to crown corporations with positive externalities, but I'd support selling off these 20th century relics in a hearthbeat!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Tonight marks a pretty sad day for me and millions of other Canadians as Hockey Night leaves the public network and becomes a part of the Canadian media duopoly. Yes it will still be on my cbc channel for now, but it will be much much different. No longer a celebration of Canada, its people and its game HNIC becomes another outlet to flog phones and upsell your subscriptions to everything! Very sad indeed.

HNIC-Old.svg

To be honest, in recent years, HNIC was largely an outlet to flog the rest of CBC's line-up. In fact, that was one of the reasons that they stuck with it as long as they did.

In the end, it's just a hockey broadcast. Good grief.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

No.

Maybe dozens of over dramatic keyboard warriors but sure as hell not millions.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

HNIC-Old.svg

This has been HNIC for the last 30 years at minimum.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
In any event, watching the Saturday night pre-game show, I'm certainly seeing as much of a celebration of Canada as I ever saw when CBC was producing the show. They also showed a respect for HNIC of the past with Dick Irvin narrating the "video essay".

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... while I can empathize with the op's saccharine sweet sentiments, I agree with most of you. The CBC an anachronism from the age of analog, a shadow of its past. No longer relevant to peoples lives & hasnt been for decades. Id like to see CBC Radio Canada continuing to be fully funded but for the television division, new model required. Something along the lines of PBS~TV Ontario~Knowledge Network. Minimal subsidization with voluntary public or corporate support; planned estate donations with charitable status.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Come on, stop with all the drama.

I dont understand how so many people put CBC/Radio-Canada on such a pedestal, and act as if Rogers, Bell and Quebecor were aliens right out of the film "They live".

There is basically no difference!

CBC/Rad-Can are useless organisations giving completely outdated radio and TV services trough a mandate given when there were basically no private broadcasters! Well guess what? There are a crapload of tv and radio channels in 2014!

The CBC and Rad-Can (and tele-Quebec) are positively the worst waste of money by the Canadian (and Québécois) governments today.

Seriously, I'm generally completely against privatisation when it comes to crown corporations with positive externalities, but I'd support selling off these 20th century relics in a hearthbeat!

Wasn't CBC making a profit before they lost HNIC?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The biggest change in this all is that on a Saturday night you can no longer count on being able to watch your local team play over the air if they have a game that night.

In Ottawa, the game is buried on SN1 tonight for example. A cable only channel.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Did they begin the segment as they did before with a random minor Hockey team introducing the host, or we'll know that next week..

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
and if you are not in Ottawa tonight, you can still catch the sens on SN1 on a saturday night, which last year you couldn't

I can watch any team play tonight, without the CBC dictating which game I get to watch in my area

:handclap:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
and if you are not in Ottawa tonight, you can still catch the sens on SN1 on a saturday night, which last year you couldn't

I can watch any team play tonight, without the CBC dictating which game I get to watch in my area

:handclap:

Except since for the last several years CBC has been streaming it's games - outside of Ottawa you've been able to watch Ottawa games anyway.

And is SN1 even part of the basic cable packages for anyone other than Rogers? (is it even part of Rogers basic cable?)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't think its good that two companies control everything that we hear in this country..............but maybe that's just me.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't think its good that two companies control everything that we hear in this country..............but maybe that's just me.

.... been going on for a longtime in Canada Channelcat. Consolidation of media interests, the slow lingering death of traditional independent media. Most consumers have long since turned to blogs, special interest sites etc. I for one am not concerned about it, we know for example that the NHL is in fact influencing, exercising editorial & even talent/personnel control over Rogers NHL Broadcasts despite the Billions dropped that youd have thought wouldve bought them independence & freedom from such. But no, not so much. At least we know, are aware of it. With the CBC one could never be sure.

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
Except since for the last several years CBC has been streaming it's games - outside of Ottawa you've been able to watch Ottawa games anyway.

And is SN1 even part of the basic cable packages for anyone other than Rogers? (is it even part of Rogers basic cable?)

rogers anyplace tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad