HNIC: Pavel Bure < Glenn Anderson; Jagr < Kurri & Selanne

Infinite Vision*

Funny because I've never seen a credible from any so called group of experts. The best lists I've seen are from myself and people on this board, quite easily actually.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Funny because I've never seen a credible from any so called group of experts. The best lists I've seen are from myself and people on this board, quite easily actually.

Some people (Like Trottier) will laugh at things like this; "Ha! I think people that actually make a living off of hockey would know a thing or two more than an airmchair goaltender like you!" But.. the posters on this board definitely know more about hockey than many people actually involved. If you asked the HoF voters who some obscure player from the early 20th century was, they'd draw a blank, but these guys would be able to recite their life story. For example I'd take the HoH board's knowledge over the HoF voting committee, any day.

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe

And yet we put so much weight on awards, when those same writes are voting them. Funny... NOT.

EDIT: I would let GMs, Head Coaches and Head Pro Scouts to do the voting.

Last edited:

poise

Apr 5, 2008
Good list. I would put Jagr in 1st and I can see why people might question Anderson's inclusion, though he also has a counterargument to be on it, but very good list.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
This list just made everyone that posted once in any section of these boards an expert. I'm astounded by the stupidity. I've seen bad lists before but this is just too much.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My top 5 would be:

1. Jagr
2. Bossy
3. Lafleur
4. Brett Hull
5. Kurri

But I must say it's damn close. In fact, you could scramble these five around with a number of combinations and it'd still make for a solid argument. Selanne's my No. 6, by the way. Jagr's the most dominant. Bossy was the most natural goal-scorer (Hull being a very close second), Lafleur the most spectacular and Kurri was the best two-way of the group.

zeus3007*

Jagr is in no way number one. Sorry guys, but no chance in hell. Probably 3 or 4. I don't have an issue with Kurri being ahead of him, but no way in hell should Hull or Selanne be. And Bure would have been higher if he didn't have a shortened career, probably. He was top 5 in skill, but in terms of output, he was probably ranked correctly. My list (of the guys on their list).

1. Lafleur
2. Bossy
3. Jagr/Kurri
4. Jagr/Kurri
5. Yvan Cournaoyer
6. Teemu Selanne
7. Brett Hull
8. Glenn Anderson
9. Pavel Bure
10. Iginla

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I still just do not understand how Selanne can be considered better than Jagr. Selanne's best skill, by far, is scoring goals, and Jagr was just as good a goalscorer, maybe a hair below.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Jagr is in no way number one. Sorry guys, but no chance in hell. Probably 3 or 4. I don't have an issue with Kurri being ahead of him, but no way in hell should Hull or Selanne be. And Bure would have been higher if he didn't have a shortened career, probably. He was top 5 in skill, but in terms of output, he was probably ranked correctly. My list (of the guys on their list).

1. Lafleur
2. Bossy
3. Jagr/Kurri
4. Jagr/Kurri
5. Yvan Cournaoyer
6. Teemu Selanne
7. Brett Hull
8. Glenn Anderson
9. Pavel Bure
10. Iginla

I have no problem with Lafleur being #1, but you can definitely make a case for Jagr, and the lowest he should be is #2. IMO Jagr is a lot closer to Lafleur than Bossy is to Jagr (unless you're not punishing Bossy at all for his poor longevity/durability).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Jagr and Selänne are both at 0.51 GPG with Jagr having played more games. Let me ask, what are you laughing at?

Selanne gets almost as much love on this board as Forsberg.

Jagr on the other hand is chronically underrated.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Some people (Like Trottier) will laugh at things like this; "Ha! I think people that actually make a living off of hockey would know a thing or two more than an airmchair goaltender like you!" But.. the posters on this board definitely know more about hockey than many people actually involved. If you asked the HoF voters who some obscure player from the early 20th century was, they'd draw a blank, but these guys would be able to recite their life story. For example I'd take the HoH board's knowledge over the HoF voting committee, any day.

I don't know if the posters here know more about hockey. I would guess that rankings done on here are generally more researched than the opinions of those in the book, even though they know more about hockey... at least that is what I hope...

I can't even make sense of that list. It looks like they heavily weighted championships I guess, but really that list in indefensible. Jagr should be #1, Iginla and to a lesser extent Bure are too low, and Anderson should not be on the list. Those changes would improve the list considerably in my mind.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I don't even know what to say...that's a whole lot of silliness going on right there.

All I wanna know is who besides Morrison was on this "panel" so I can add them to my "Experts who don't know ****" list.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

1. Lafleur
2. Bossy
3. Jagr/Kurri
4. Jagr/Kurri
5. Yvan Cournaoyer
6. Teemu Selanne
7. Brett Hull
8. Glenn Anderson
9. Pavel Bure
10. Iginla

I really don't see any legitimate argument against having Jagr at #1 here. Lafleur's whole legacy is based on a 5 year stretch. Sure he was amazing in those 5 years, but outside those years, he was pretty average. Take Jagr's best 5 seasons, and they stack up incredibly well... actually, they are probably better! Even if you think Lafleur's peak is better you then have to account for the fact that Jagr was an elite player for like 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad