Post-Game Talk: Hmmm. Hughson Tears!! Leafs Win 4-2 over Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I don't have the numbers of the top of my head but IIRC, something like 30-40% of first rounder make the NHL and play ~100 games. The fact that 26% of kids with that kind of production makes the NHL pretty much makes Timashov a late first round/high second round pick.

28.8% of 30th over-alls make it to 200GP. 48% of 20th over-alls, and 63% of 10th over-alls. So way, way, way more than "30-40% of first rounders play >= 100GP". Stats found here.

I recalculated it for 200GP for Timashov, and his odds went down to 15.5%.

So, no, still not 1st round pick calibre. Maybe high or mid 2nd.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 4-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night.

Last edited:

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Apparently, you, for one.

My post was directed at the poster who claimed Phil was softer than Bozak. Learn to read and stop being such a weirdo.
I don't care if Bozak has fought,is that a problem?And speaking of weirdo,you said Kessel fought,Bozak didn't.I said I don't care.I think that may be called reading.

Leaf Warrior

Jan 16, 2015
Apparently, you, for one.

My post was directed at the poster who claimed Phil was softer than Bozak. Learn to read and stop being such a weirdo.

In a street fight, I see Phil on top. Now that's a fight I'd pay for.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I don't care if Bozak has fought,is that a problem?And speaking of weirdo,you said Kessel fought,Bozak didn't.I said I don't care.I think that may be called reading.

Oh dear. I appear to have rattled you a little bit here. You really seem to care a lot about this whole Kessel fighting situation. I think I touched a nerve. I tend to forget that people have feelings. I'll drop the subject. I kind of feel bad now. :(

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wins help this team build confidence .. Winning streaks help keep the players buying into what Babcock is selling, and that's how to be successful

They'll still lose their share of games but we should be happy with some W's as they come

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Good win, though we could have been much better in the third. Still, feels good man.

Also, there's no conspiracy about the refs favouring the Leafs, as much as some people might think there is.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Nice to see Reimer playing lights out (getting a bit of help from overturned goals), not a fan of the three game winning streak though. We're digging ourselves out of the basement and I don't like it :laugh:

Seriously though, nice to see some positivity and optimism here.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
and what does that have to do with standing up for his teammates ?

DP likes to go after a guy when he takes a clean hit but if a teammate takes a cheap shot all he'll do is yap and give that ******** stare .

Welcome to the new NHL - Toronto version my friend.

Babcock's Leafs won't engage just like the Wings didn't engage. To do so puts the other team on the PP and we want to keep the score close and limit chances.

Media here seems intent on pushing a message of anti-fighting and maybe there is something to it. With mandatory visors for those entering the NHL, who wants to punch an iTech?

I will miss the old days but we are where we are. Criticize Dion all you want but we have a team of face washers who will be really good at complianing to the ref.

Singling our Dion, who led the team in fights last year, seems unfair to me.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Wins help this team build confidence .. Winning streaks help keep the players buying into what Babcock is selling, and that's how to be successful

They'll still lose their share of games but we should be happy with some W's as they come

I will repeat the interesting fact from a few pages back.

3 of the 5 wins have come when the team has been outshot by a combined 31 shots (that's over 10 per game).

Is this what Babcock is selling?

I joked about winning the wrong way but are the stats folks going to jump on the "can't sustain that" train soon if this continues?

TMLer

I was saying boo-urns
Feb 11, 2013
Ottawa
Omg the salt from the loser canucks fans is delicious. Mmm I don't even need to eat breakfast. I'm stuffed.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I will repeat the interesting fact from a few pages back.

3 of the 5 wins have come when the team has been outshot by a combined 31 shots (that's over 10 per game).

Is this what Babcock is selling?

I joked about winning the wrong way but are the stats folks going to jump on the "can't sustain that" train soon if this continues?

I think Babcock looks at it differently than Corsi/Fenwick. From what if read they measure performance more on chances for/against and also look at goal differential.

But the fact is, there is strong correlation between wins and higher Corsi/Fenwick. So I would agree that these wins aren't "sustainable" however our team Corsi is 49.6% and our PDO is 100.1% so we're not looking to see much deviation from where we are currently, if all things stayed the same.

But the more we win, the more the team gets behind the game plan, and the better it gets executed.

So if the Leafs manage to start playing better and improve their advanced stats, they will be statistically within the right performance range.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Omg the salt from the loser canucks fans is delicious. Mmm I don't even need to eat breakfast. I'm stuffed.

The only fan base that can't accept when their team deserves to lose. It's always a conspiracy of some sort, LOL.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The only part of the game I still can't believe is how Dion took that moronic penalty in the third after the Canucks just finished scoring on the PP to make it a 1 goal game and were starting to be able to get some pressure. That was a huge penalty kill by the team to bail out their captain.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think Babcock looks at it differently than Corsi/Fenwick. From what if read they measure performance more on chances for/against and also look at goal differential.

But the fact is, there is strong correlation between wins and higher Corsi/Fenwick. So I would agree that these wins aren't "sustainable" however our team Corsi is 49.6% and our PDO is 100.1% so we're not looking to see much deviation from where we are currently, if all things stayed the same.

But the more we win, the more the team gets behind the game plan, and the better it gets executed.

So if the Leafs manage to start playing better and improve their advanced stats, they will be statistically within the right performance range.

What has the correlation been calculated to be that you are citing?

There are a lot of Corsi/Fenwick metrics. The highest I have seen relate to Goals For and Against. Most possession/shot metrics seem to have a weak to medium level of correlation to outcomes.

Completely agree that Dubas and company are looking at other metrics. If he was combing blogs to get his data, I would suggest that department wouldn't last long.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Agreed. Over the course of an entire season, there are bound to be aberrations, but possession and scoring chances will ultimately determine our fate.

Reimer's play the last few games is making up for the first dozen or so games wherein we outplayed the opposition, but our goaltending was atrocious and we couldn't finish most of our chances.

The main difference in our play since this modest points streak started is that our shoooting percentage and save percentage have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad