Line Combos: Hitchcock changing things up; Morrow up to 2nd, Roy to 4th

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
One is a LW and the other a RW.

Schwartz and Steen both played RW in the playoffs. Positions IMO only matter on the rush and for a couple in the offensive zones. Tarasenko will always be on the right because of how he likes to cut in, but most everyone else can switch back and forth.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
That player just takes the spot of whoever is traded, most likely Stewart IMO.

Just listened to Hitch's pre-game interview. On Stewart, it was pretty clear that he thinks he's enigmatic, but also coachable. It'll be interesting to see how long he and Army hold that opinion.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Schwartz and Steen both played RW in the playoffs. Positions IMO only matter on the rush and for a couple in the offensive zones. Tarasenko will always be on the right because of how he likes to cut in, but most everyone else can switch back and forth.

Schwartz was more effective on LW when it came to transitioning off a board battle win.

Steen is nowhere near as effective with his shots when he is on RW. He has a much harder time getting puck through. It is almost night and day, unless he is basically in the goal crease.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hitchcock called Stewart one of our best forwards against Montreal. Don't think Hitch really has a problem with him and it's nice to see he realizes he actually isn't playing horrible at all.

It's pretty clear Armstrong preferred Stewart over Perron. Army brought him in, and just go back and listen to Armstrong's comments after the Johnson trade. He talks time and time again about how he wanted another power-forward in the top 6. So far they have not brought in anyone else that fits the bill, so if Stewart were to be traded, I'm sure Armstrong would like to do something to help that void.

illninofan*

Not saying that I like him or want him, but would you put Roy back at center between Moulson and Stewart?

I say Moulson because I honestly think we wouldn't have to give up Stewart to get him, probably a package similar to the Bouwmeester deal, plus you wouldn't have to shift the lineup too much to fit him in.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Hitchcock called Stewart one of our best forwards against Montreal. Don't think Hitch really has a problem with him and it's nice to see he realizes he actually isn't playing horrible at all.

It's pretty clear Armstrong preferred Stewart over Perron. Army brought him in, and just go back and listen to Armstrong's comments after the Johnson trade. He talks time and time again about how he wanted another power-forward in the top 6. So far they have not brought in anyone else that fits the bill, so if Stewart were to be traded, I'm sure Armstrong would like to do something to help that void.
I really don't think Stewart is close to being on the trade block in the eyes of the front office, not like he is in the HF universe.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I really don't think Stewart is close to being on the trade block in the eyes of the front office, not like he is in the HF universe.
Oh I totally agree with you.

I think there's a chance, as there is with any player that isn't an untouchable, but yeah it's aggravating that on this board Stewart is already guaranteed to be off the team by March 2014 basically.

Just enjoy the season, I don't get why people are so concerned already with what happens at the deadline or in the offseason.

LightSoundGeometry*

team is looking good - the lines looked good the other game

need to play a full 60 - 200 foot game

stop on more pucks

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Oh I totally agree with you.

I think there's a chance, as there is with any player that isn't an untouchable, but yeah it's aggravating that on this board Stewart is already guaranteed to be off the team by March 2014 basically.

Just enjoy the season, I don't get why people are so concerned already with what happens at the deadline or in the offseason.

Be cause it is fun to talk hockey and speculate?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I personally don't think any changes need to be made. We are 14 games in and 9-2-2. While we are expecting all of our players to put up ridiculous points it's just not plausible for us to be scoring 5+ goals every game with 2 assists on each goal. Let the guys mesh, nothing needs to change we are doing fine and will continue to do better as the season rolls along.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I personally don't think any changes need to be made. We are 14 games in and 9-2-2. While we are expecting all of our players to put up ridiculous points it's just not plausible for us to be scoring 5+ goals every game with 2 assists on each goal. Let the guys mesh, nothing needs to change we are doing fine and will continue to do better as the season rolls along.

I agree with this...well, I do not agree that 9+2+2 is 14 thou

early season problems might just go by and if not they (and the guys who cause them) will get even more clear every game and we have still plenty of time to act in the new year.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Haha I yeah I realized I typed 9-2-2 today when I opened the GDT and was like "Oops I put 9-2-2 in that other thread today, derp"

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Thoughts on the changes from last night?

By the end we had something like

Steen-Backes-Schwartz
Tarasenko-Berglund-Oshie
Morrow-Sobotka-Stewart
Roy-Lapierre-Reaves

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Good simple switch. Schwartz and Oshie are comparable enough that it isn't anything too major. Maybe Oshie can get Berglund going.

As for Roy and Morrow, I don't see it as a permanent switch, but Roy is clearly the most expendable player at the deadline. Whoever we go after, I think Roy will be moved somewhere out East for a 2nd.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Thoughts on the changes from last night?

By the end we had something like

Steen-Backes-Schwartz
Tarasenko-Berglund-Oshie
Morrow-Sobotka-Stewart
Roy-Lapierre-Reaves

That lineup really emphasizes the top two lines. The third line becomes less effective with Morrow on it IMO and that coming from someone who doesn't think much of Roy.

I think we need another center. Sobotka just does not seem like he can handle those responsibilities for the long haul. I think it has to do with the amount of energy he exerts. Sobotka seems to be more effective for longer periods on wing. I would still use him for faceoffs though.

I would like to see Roy with Berglund for a couple games to see if those two gel, but I can't figure out a lineup I am comfortable with when those two are together.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
That lineup really emphasizes the top two lines. The third line becomes less effective with Morrow on it IMO and that coming from someone who doesn't think much of Roy.

I think we need another center. Sobotka just does not seem like he can handle those responsibilities for the long haul. I think it has to do with the amount of energy he exerts. Sobotka seems to be more effective for longer periods on wing. I would still use him for faceoffs though.

I would like to see Roy with Berglund for a couple games to see if those two gel, but I can't figure out a lineup I am comfortable with when those two are together.
Couldn't agree more. Oh and I like Schwartz with Steen and Backes. I thought that line was lights out last year in the playoffs.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Me too. But seeing how the SOB line started, I can't really blame him for going back to it :D

Yeah I guess they've decent. Slightly above average even.

From Korac today:

@lkorac10

Today's #stlblues practice lines:
Steen-Backes-Oshie,
Morrow-Sobotka-Stewart,
Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko,
Roy-Lapierre-Reaves. D-pairs same

Those are the only two changes from last night's game that stuck through to practice today.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
In practice today it's:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko
Morrow-Sobotka-Stewart
Roy-Lapierre-Reaves

Lol, Roy. Yeah...We could really use a center upgrade. That is still just the one thing we are missing.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
As much as I hate on Roy, he should be in the top 6 over Morrow. Morrow is way too slow to keep up, and he always seems to be behind the play. Roy had some good chances last game, hopefully he can build off of that.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
As much as I hate on Roy, he should be in the top 6 over Morrow. Morrow is way too slow to keep up, and he always seems to be behind the play. Roy had some good chances last game, hopefully he can build off of that.

This. Roy started off terrible last night, but he got better as the game went on. Morrow just can't keep up and Roy can't play on the fourth line. He just can't. Although I do find it funny that we signed Roy to be that second line center, and here we are still looking for that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad