Line Combos: Hitchcock changing things up; Morrow up to 2nd, Roy to 4th

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I posted it in the Charleston thread, but it didn't really seem the place. Thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss potential changes or changes as they happen.

Anyway, JR has reported during this trip that Hitchcock has shook up both the lines and d pairings. This is what it will apparently look like on Friday against Vancouver:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Paajarvi-Roy-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
Morrow-Sobotka-Reaves

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Leopold-Polak

I like this a lot. Paajarvi has looked good so far and Stewart I think will do well on a line with Schwartz. Think we all love that Jackman-Polak broken up.

EDIT: Links if anyone wanted them: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_a5b64eca-def1-5b1a-a3aa-7537a40f01bc.html

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/392676060216971264

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It was only a matter of time for Morrow to move down. He reminds me a bit of Langenbrunner. Still has some skill and savvy, but not the speed for a regular spot in the top 6. I think he'll bounce up there from time to time, but also have 'maintenance days' where he is a healthy scratch. If someone starts to really struggle then Morrow is capable of sliding up (and so is Sobotka).

Schwartz is like Steen: put on a line to get guys going. I think Schwartz-Berglund is the new pairing that Hitchcock won't break up.

Tarasenko is being rewarded and I expect his ice time to go up. Good move.

Stewart has a chance to succeed on that third line.

I'd like to point out that the Blues top line has been carrying the team and affording Hitchcock the patience to tinker around a bit with the next 6.

As for the defense: Shattenkirk has started playing a bit better. Contrary to what a lot of posters here have to say, I guess I just don't really see much difference in the pairings between putting him with Leopold or with Jackman. Whichever way you slice it, those 4 guys are playing 1/2 the game and Pietro/Bouwmeester play the other half.

I've really liked Jackman's game lately. I think he's being used strategically well.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Ah. Left out Paajarvi. He has earned his way back into the line-up (and I don't expect him to lose that again). Very excited to see what he can do on that 2nd line. If he struggles, I see Sobotka getting those minutes (and probably shifts from Steen/Schwartz at times around PP/PK disruptions). But I think MPS is going to be just what the doctor ordered.

illninofan*

Took you long enough to get the defensive pairings right, Hitch. :lol:

Really interested to see if the 1st line can keep it up, and if the 2nd through 3rd lines click (I'm looking at you, Stewart), and if the 4th line can keep it up as well.

Cracknell should get plenty of playing time on the 4th line as Morrow will need to rotate in and out. Makes you wonder if we'll ever need Lappiere ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I've always said the pairings were crap, I'm just saying Leopold is playing really well this season and hope he keeps it up. Maybe his issue is all chemistry and that's why he didn't work with Shatty last season, what if the same happens with Polak and we are right back to where we started.

I'd much rather have these pairings and have always said so.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It was only a matter of time for Morrow to move down. He reminds me a bit of Langenbrunner. Still has some skill and savvy, but not the speed for a regular spot in the top 6. I think he'll bounce up there from time to time, but also have 'maintenance days' where he is a healthy scratch. If someone starts to really struggle then Morrow is capable of sliding up (and so is Sobotka).

Schwartz is like Steen: put on a line to get guys going. I think Schwartz-Berglund is the new pairing that Hitchcock won't break up.

Tarasenko is being rewarded and I expect his ice time to go up. Good move.

Stewart has a chance to succeed on that third line.

I'd like to point out that the Blues top line has been carrying the team and affording Hitchcock the patience to tinker around a bit with the next 6.

As for the defense: Shattenkirk has started playing a bit better. Contrary to what a lot of posters here have to say, I guess I just don't really see much difference in the pairings between putting him with Leopold or with Jackman. Whichever way you slice it, those 4 guys are playing 1/2 the game and Pietro/Bouwmeester play the other half.

I've really liked Jackman's game lately. I think he's being used strategically well.

It's not that Leopold-Shattenkirk can't be good together, it's that the Jackman-Polak pairing can be exploited too easily. Especially in the PO's where the intensity picks up, Jackman's lack of speed and skating ability combines really poorly with Polak's decision making. I think most of us who don't like that pairing would just like to see more balanced pairings with at least one good decision maker and puck mover on each pair.

Personally, I think Leo's game could really help calm Roman down from feeling rushed once that intensity picks up come PO time.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Can only hope he keeps those D combos together. Those are exactly what we need.

A lot of speed on that second forward line.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I can certainly live with that lineup. Although, part of me is a little worried about splitting Schwartz and Tarasenko up. They've got a lot of chemistry. But i'm most excited about the defenseive pairings. I hope Hitch sticks with them.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It's not that Leopold-Shattenkirk can't be good together, it's that the Jackman-Polak pairing can be exploited too easily. Especially in the PO's where the intensity picks up, Jackman's lack of speed and skating ability combines really poorly with Polak's decision making. I think most of us who don't like that pairing would just like to see more balanced pairings with at least one good decision maker and puck mover on each pair.

Personally, I think Leo's game could really help calm Roman down from feeling rushed once that intensity picks up come PO time.
I see that, but then I also saw the Polak/Jackman pairing physically punishing the Blackhawks (Kane and Hossa in particular). I think that helps win games, too, even if the transition out of the zone is not as effective with the two of them.

I don't feel strongly about it, but I think a couple people act like this is a large difference. I see it as half dozen of one, 6 of the other.

Use the Schwartz*

If the top line plays all 82 each, Id guess 65-70 for Steen and Backes,less for Oshie.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Assuming health (and you can't with Steen; only played 82 games once)

how many points do you think each person on the SOB line get?

60-65. They usually are around the 55 point pace, but Oshie and Backes both improved their off-season routines, so I was expecting them to improve their production this season anyway.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Thank the lord Jackman is back with Shattenkirk.

Leopold has actually looked pretty good so hope he keeps that up.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I'll be curious to see if Frank's newfound aggressive play toward the puck remains after being separated from Schwartz. I feel like a Roy/Tarasenko pairing is either going to crash, or work so well that it takes Tarasenko to the next level. I just worry about the line being too "one and done" on scoring chances — though, one good look is all Tarasenko seemingly needs to bury.

Regardless, the Roy line is going to have some blazing speed...hopefully that will give the Blues a new look , at the very least, for other team's to worry about.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'll be curious to see if Frank's newfound aggressive play toward the puck remains after being separated from Schwartz. I feel like a Roy/Tarasenko pairing is either going to crash, or work so well that it takes Tarasenko to the next level. I just worry about the line being too "one and done" on scoring chances — though, one good look is all Tarasenko seemingly needs to bury.

The Roy line is going to have some blazing speed, regardless...hopefully that will give the Blues a new look , at the very least, for other team's to worry about.

Agreed. Feels very boom or bust like to me.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
I posted it in the Charleston thread, but it didn't really seem the place. Thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss potential changes or changes as they happen.

Anyway, JR has reported during this trip that Hitchcock has shook up both the lines and d pairings. This is what it will apparently look like on Friday against Vancouver:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Paajarvi-Roy-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
Morrow-Sobotka-Reaves

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Leopold-Polak

I like this a lot. Paajarvi has looked good so far and Stewart I think will do well on a line with Schwartz. Think we all love that Jackman-Polak broken up.

EDIT: Links if anyone wanted them: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_a5b64eca-def1-5b1a-a3aa-7537a40f01bc.html

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/392676060216971264

That Roy line is the 3rd line. Not that it matters, but wanted to point out...

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Where you see that? JR listed them second.

Not that it matters much, as both the Roy and Berglund line will see plenty of time.

I don't think it matters how it is listed. What truly matters is that Berglund typically faces off against the oppositions 2nd line. It is very interesting in the West now. No teams have a shut down line (3rd line - checkers) anymore that gets matched up against a teams top line. Seems like a lot of top lines go head to head.

Further, Berglund typically plays against the oppositions second line. Roy and Stewart get the 3rd....

It is also one of the reasons Roys line ends up hemmed in a bit. They usually are with Polak and Jackman and the transition games is limited and due to the nature of the two dmen, there isn't much jumping in to plays or pinching to keep the puck in the zone - so one and done.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Thank the lord Jackman is back with Shattenkirk.

Leopold has actually looked pretty good so hope he keeps that up.

Hopefully it sticks. We heard the same thing at the start of camp and it went back.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I'm not 100% convinced that the frank/stew swap was needed with the addition of paajarvi to roys wing, but at least the pairings are seemingly fixed.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If Tarasenko continues to play the way he was with Schwartz/Bergie, then playing with Roy just going to get him scoring even more IMO.

The best disher and finisher on the same line now.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Morrow is Langenbrunner 2.0. Lapierre is a younger, dirtier Nichol. It's a lot of the same team ... just the key vets (20-42-74-27-41) are playing very, very well to start plus 9/91 are impact players which is balancing the offense.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Morrow is Langenbrunner 2.0. Lapierre is a younger, dirtier Nichol. It's a lot of the same team ... just the key vets (20-42-74-27-41) are playing very, very well to start plus 9/91 are impact players which is balancing the offense.

I agree with this. The one that is different is I think that Derek Roy is playing better than Andy McDonald.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The thing that is new is the Bouwmeester / Pietro pairing is dominating opposing teams. We saw glimpses of this last year, but they're clearly more comfortable together now and showing chemistry. I also think they have a higher gear we haven't seen yet.

That pair established makes the other 4 defensemen look a lot better, with more limited minutes and responsibilities. Really, Shattenkirk ought to be thriving in this environment. His play has been a disappointment (on both ends of the ice) but I do think he's on the upswing. Hopefully swapping him back with Jackman will help that.

The Blues need either Stewart or Tarasenko to be a consistent threat (one of the two at any given time) to avoid becoming a one line team. The Backes line will cool off eventually, and the next 2 lines need to have stretches where they have dangerous production. The record and goal production from the whole team have somewhat masked that the 2nd/3rd lines haven't really been as productive as advertised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad