Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I am not blaming it on the depth, I am questioning why we went out and ignored scoring depth/D when we've had this issue every year.

If we knew that the core was coming back, why would we focus on "toughness" (which didn't matter in this series).

We got worse this year, just FYI.
Can't add depth when half the cap space is used on 4 players

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Like this is a big problem and they need heads to roll for this one way or another. I guess Keefe will take the majority of the heat here, but man... the players are just cursed.

ShanaCON and Dubas' stench will not be undone this easily. Have to wait out till both tavares and marner are off the cap to make this team.

We got 2 summers of patient and focused RETOOLING to be done. No other way! Period!

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I am not disagreeing that they were bad.

But the guys that were brought in this year (minus Domi and Lub) were not good or the answer either.

I have no clue how "snot" is the answer for scoring issues, but we can double down next year if people want.

We got no depth scoring either. I agree with you, but it isn't 100% on them.
And it’s hard to acquire consistent scoring with little cap space. Need upgrades on D as well. With Knies and McMann, there is some internal promise.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The reality of our D is that we are never going to have a Josi or Hedman level player just fall in our laps. Slim chances we get one. But we need a Hronek type dman to come in an be a top pairing guy like Vancouver or we are never going to be successful for a long playoffs run. We need an in their prime horse back there to make a difference. Like Muzzin only he wasnt enough to be successful either.

It's not easy to upgrade these days.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If we give it to him, I will honestly have to reconsider my relationship with this franchise. I know they don't care... but that would be so wrong I'm not sure I could ever get behind it.

I am with you on that. If marner is re-signed I am done being a Leafs fan. I cannot support LOSERS. Life is short for me to get emotionally involved and financially support losers who whine and never take any responsibility

Reactions: wingman75

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
At the end of the day, you can probably do better than Holmberg and Jarnkrok on your 3rd line. Absolutely useless and provide no spark on the offensive end.
I said it earlier, but it felt like two 4th lines. I'm fine with how each of the Kampf and Holmberg lines played, but you're at a disadvantage when playing both since they need their time managed.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't hate him, but the offensive dry spell is a collective team issue, from this standpoint they all suck and it has to be addressed during offseason. This is not overeacting at all, like I said it has been 8 years.
People whine about having a team that plays the trap, but are perfectly fine watching their offensive power dry up every playoffs, I say lose some of the high priced talent and trap away boys, get some D and a goaltender and forwards who can play all three zones of the ice……..

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And it’s hard to acquire consistent scoring with little cap space. Need upgrades on D as well. With Knies and McMann, there is some internal promise.

We had 20 million in cap space in the summer.

~ 17 million was spent on Klingberg, Reaves, Bert, Samsanov, and Kampf.

Next year we have a lot of space again and some cheap depth signed, I am curious how this goes.

Sep 18, 2009
I said it earlier, but it felt like two 4th lines. I'm fine with how each of the Kampf and Holmberg lines played, but you're at a disadvantage when playing both since they need their time managed.
Gallagbi, let me ask you this, why do the leafs lack this depth

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They had 20 million in cap space in the offseason, if you can't bring in some depth scoring for that, you shouldn't be a GM.
Show me the list of available players from last years UFA? Bert got 20 goals, but didn’t do much in the playoffs. Unless they are willing to make some bold trades, it will be more of the same

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We had 20 million in cap space in the summer.

~ 17 million was spent on Klingberg, Reaves, Bert, Samsanov, and Kampf.

Next year we have a lot of space again and some cheap depth signed, I am curious how this goes.

Kling was a good gamble because our problem is offence in the playoffs, and his puck moving ability could have helped in the playoffs generate more O.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They had 20 million in cap space in the offseason, if you can't bring in some depth scoring for that, you shouldn't be a GM.
I'm not sure who you had in mind that'd realistically be better than Domi and Bertuzzi.

They also had a defence consisting of a #2, a #4, and a bunch of bottom pair/depth guys and only one NHL goalie. $20m doesn't go far with that many holes

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Shame on you Rielly .. I was a fan until you completely misjudged Pasta's speed .. sure Mitch should have slowed him down but you are a freakin D man making too much CAP for da rookie error which cost us series .. as soon as you saw da hard shoot in you have to get on your horse and skate back fast .. you had a 4 step lead but your brain did not work fast enough to recognize da defensive threat .. you should have been 1st to that puck and moved it away from net .. that is enough for me .. sorry but my 1D can't ever play that weak .. time to move on my friend .. back to Vancouver for you
:thumbu:

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
WOW 2wheeere you goijng wit this?

- Rielly does not play physical
- He is not a defensive juggernaut
- He doesn't have a good point shot/slapper/wrister
- His skating has declined this season IMO

All Rielly had was his skating; and its declining. He doesn't have any other attribute that you need in a D-man to be successful in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad