Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Recency bias with this take.

Nearly a 70pt pace this year in the regular season and ppg over the previous 2 playoffs despite our scoring issues the last 2 years.

Over the last 5 playoffs, he's 4th in points AND goals, the best +/- (+15), two less even strength goals than AM, and 3 less even strength points than our highest scorer.

The last 3 years? Even better. 3rd in point totals (ahead of Nylander), #1 in even strength scoring, 3rd in even strength goals (2 off Matthews), 2nd in assists (tied for first at even strength).

Of all our players, Rielly deserves the least amount of flack for the Matthews era struggles. I had to defend him last regular season and then he was our playoff MVP. This guy steps up in the playoffs more than anybody else. All players have bad/mediocre series at some point or another and this is his first mediocre one.
The issue stems from management by not giving 44 and the team a real d-core so every time 44 can't carry the entire d-core, its always on him. For 3 years now Toronto keeps trying to fill in the d-core with just heavy players and not enough heavy skill in the back end that can absorb a forecheck and make a good breakout pass / play.

I think personally Toronto needs to find a way too add 2 legitimate good d-man in free agency or via trade. If you were to add two players like a Roy/Pesce/Skjei/Montour suddenly a core of:

Rielly - McCabe
Skjei - Pesce
Beniot - Boosh (or someone similiar)

Doesn't look that bad of a d-core lol.

Reactions: Community and JKG33

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If only our top guys can score like they supposed to.
We have 34mil spent on three forwards who scored ONE goal each.
Our leading scorer in the playoffs got three goals while only playing 4 games
Our rookie for 2 two goals
Three other forwards-Bert, Domi and Kampf combined for 3 goals with a combined cap hit of 10.6mil
I think the problem lies with our top guys.

This is insanity... every year we say "if only our top guys" and never address depth scoring or lack of defensive scoring either... it all matters.

Boston had big contributions from depth guys, we didn't.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think it's difficult to make decisions on this defense without having seen them play against a more powerful offensive team. I have a feeling that guys like Edmundson and Boosh would have really been exposed against Florida, Carolina or the Rangers. Those guys are fine as bottom pairing guys, but there need to be serious upgrades above them.
Benoit and McCabe are a great third pairing, find younger versions of Edmundson and Boosh for your second pairing. Trade Rielly and Marner for assets that can be used to get a top pairing D man and his side kick……..

Reactions: theTTC

afcleafs

Mar 9, 2024
Thought I'd wake up much angrier this morning. Just numb to it all.

The realization that the team I love will never win a cup in my lifetime, is no longer deflating. I'm resigned to the fact that they are a complete waste of time, in what was supposed to be the most exciting era of Leaf hockey, ever.
I don't disagree with you, but this team used to run out Tim Connolly as our #1C in a season that we didn't hold our first round draft pick.

It could be a hell of a lot worse.

Just remember that the NHL is pinball and no one knows anything - you might as well have some fun along the way and Auston scoring 69 goals is fun.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Benoit and McCabe are a great third pairing, find younger versions of Edmundson and Boosh for your second pairing. Trade Rielly and Marner for assets that can be used to get a top pairing D man and his side kick……..

We better start playing the trap and winning games 1-0 because we aren't scoring without any D that can move the puck.

I'd invest heavily in goaltending, maybe spend all our assets on a Vasi/Helle tandem, we will need it with a backend with 0 puck movers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Everyone’s been changed except 34, 16, 88, 91, 44, and fan’s wonder why the outcome never changes………
Guaranteed if you traded Marner and got a couple of young guys like a Knies and/or Seider who played hard in the playoffs a scored some big goals people would love them. Love them. Winning is the best trade. Making a playoff team that can win is the goal. Not paying 13 million for the same.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This is insanity... every year we say "if only our top guys" and never address depth scoring or lack of defensive scoring either... it all matters.

You can't blame the depth being shitty while defending the idiots taking up half the cap space

Reactions: Enniskillen

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Guaranteed if you traded Marner and got a couple of young guys like a Knies and/or Seider who played hard in the playoffs a scored some big goals people would love them. Love them. Winning is the best trade. Making a playoff team that can win is the goal. Not paying 13 million for the same.
Roger that, I’d trade any of them if it makes the team better……..

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Really???
3 goals from AM, MM and JT
3 goals from Kampf, Bert and Domi
34mil spent on AM, MM and JT
10.6mil spent on Kampf, Bert and Domi.
If AM, MM and JT scored at Kampf, Bert and Domi cap ratio, there should at least scored 3 goals each, which means 6 more goals in the series.

Let’s blame depth scoring when your top 3 caphit guys only provide 3 goals in a series.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think you can even keep Rielly, but they need someone who can slot ahead of him. That guy doesn't exist in free agency, so it would have to come through a trade, which is where Marner comes in.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We better start playing the trap and winning games 1-0 because we aren't scoring without any D that can move the puck.

I'd invest heavily in goaltending, maybe spend all our assets on a Vasi/Helle tandem, we will need it with a backend with 0 puck movers.
News flash…….were not scoring with D that can move the puck so what exactly is your point?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Depth guys barely play the PP. What's the excuse there?

For the 240th time, the core played badly as well.

The depth didn't help either.

The "snot" did nothing.

I just don't understand why we'd double down on offensive blackholes to solve our scoring issues.

News flash…….were not scoring with D that can move the puck so what exactly is your point?

Which D can move the puck?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think you can even keep Rielly, but they need someone who can slot ahead of him. That guy doesn't exist in free agency, so it would have to come through a trade, which is where Marner comes in.
Sure you could keep Rielly, but why? He brings pretty much nothing to the table, or are you referring to his offensive might?

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Bad take. Our depth guys played the entire Bruins team to an even saw-off. Given that, the Leafs Core Fore are paid handsomely for one of them to provide the winning spark, above this even-ness, to lift their team to victory. But no, as usual. And all of them on the ice for the Bruins OT goal. And 1 for 21 on the PP. F*** you, Dubas and the stupid Shanaplan.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sure you could keep Rielly, but why? He brings pretty much nothing to the table, or are you referring to his offensive might?
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 10.34.51 AM.png

last 3 years (plus this year, which brings Rielly's numbers down)

People have a short memory if they don't think Rielly has been good in the playoffs normally.

Really???
3 goals from AM, MM and JT
3 goals from Kampf, Bert and Domi
34mil spent on AM, MM and JT
10.6mil spent on Kampf, Bert and Domi.
If AM, MM and JT scored at Kampf, Bert and Domi cap ratio, there should at least scored 3 goals each, which means 6 more goals in the series.

Let’s blame depth scoring when your top 3 caphit guys only provide 3 goals in a series.

I am blaming everyone... there were very few consistently good players... why can no one read? I've not once said the core was fine.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
At the end of the day, you can probably do better than Holmberg and Jarnkrok on your 3rd line. Absolutely useless and provide no spark on the offensive end.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You are if you're blaming the loss on a lack of depth.

The lack of depth is entirely because of the overpaid 4

I am not blaming it on the depth, I am questioning why we went out and ignored scoring depth/D when we've had this issue every year.

If we knew that the core was coming back, why would we focus on "toughness" (which didn't matter in this series).

The damage Kyle Dubas did to this team may not be able to be fixed while Willy and Auston are still in their prime. It was complete gross negligence.

I always felt sorry for the guy who took over from Kyle. He'd have an unbelievable job on his hands.

We got worse this year, just FYI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad