Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
THIS…….

Snot wasn’t the problem, once again it was the high priced talent…….

Did the snot help?

No one is saying the core was good, but the support also was terrible.

We tried to solve our scoring issues with bad players who are tough.

Domi is a skill guy before you mention him, I don't think anyone cares if the skill guys come with "snot", that is a great combo.

Reactions: Da Mash

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I would be fine with a PLD return, but I think for every PLD return, there is a Tkachuk return, that is what I am scared of.
It's probably more of a win/win trade for both teams regardless of how it turns out in the future.

1. Culture change and shock to the Leafs (biggest win here), while getting much needed good depth in the lineup.
2. Whoever gets Marner gets a elite regular season player and helps them make the playoffs.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He is consistantly bad ....we just refuse to see his lack of giveaways and not winning battles against the boards.

He offeres nothing on our PP......nothing.

We are lucky his cap number isnt bad....but we need a improvement at our number 1 D spot.
He doesnt have one great quality......skating used to be in...but now even that has diminished.

We dont suffer defensively when he isnt in the lineup. Sure its hard to judge because we need a legit goalie....but Reilly needs to be better defensively if he offers nothing offensively.
Recency bias with this take.

Nearly a 70pt pace this year in the regular season and ppg over the previous 2 playoffs despite our scoring issues the last 2 years.

Over the last 5 playoffs, he's 4th in points AND goals, the best +/- (+15), two less even strength goals than AM, and 3 less even strength points than our highest scorer.

The last 3 years? Even better. 3rd in point totals (ahead of Nylander), #1 in even strength scoring, 3rd in even strength goals (2 off Matthews), 2nd in assists (tied for first at even strength).

Of all our players, Rielly deserves the least amount of flack for the Matthews era struggles. I had to defend him last regular season and then he was our playoff MVP. This guy steps up in the playoffs more than anybody else. All players have bad/mediocre series at some point or another and this is his first mediocre one.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think there is very little chance Niemela plays for the Leafs next year. Honestly Liljegren might have played his last game as a Leaf as well.
I see Niemela as like number 8 with maybe injuries as a call up for a little bit. He’s not in the top 7.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I might actually start cheering for the Oilers and Canucks to win it all. For once, I’d rather a Canadian team win that’s not the Leafs. Better than an American team

Thats how f***ing miserable being a fan of this dog shit franchise and its pathetic history is.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hiring one of the best, young, sought-after executives as GM wasn't a snap decision. It was planned and set up for multiple years. And it was the best thing this team did in ages. Finally escaping the dinosaur thinking and old boys club that had been dragging this franchise into the gutter for decades. And then in true Leaf fashion, they made a snap emotional decision and ruined it just as we were moving past the pandemic flat cap and the second wave he provided was coming.
Boy Wonder is nothing more than a snake oil salesman with fancy graphs and pie charts to appear to know what he’s talking about, he’ll ruin what’s left of the Penguins in short order, then it’s back to the Soo……..

Agree 100%, h's absolutely not the reason we lost. We just didn't play that well overall, at least from where I sit Boston outplayed us, simple as that. We didn't play badly, but we were nowhere near as good as were in games 5/6 and Boston deserved to win. And Sammy made a lot of great saves as well, when we went ahead 2-0 we would have been down 2-1 instead with just average goaltending to that point.

@Evilhomer will be just fine, agreed. As for the Leafs being "too important", that depends on how "bothered" people are. Many people are still bothered by the refs knifing us in the gut in 1993 and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't turn you into a bitter person in the rest of your life.

Marner for nothing would be a win or us as we can do something useful with the cap space and let's be honest, Marner was pretty useless in these playoffs. As for him having a great playoffs somewhere else next year, who cares?

Done. I'd even throw in free Boston Pizza for life. :)
Got to love a sweetener, although their pizza sucks ass………

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
@Evilhomer will be just fine, agreed. As for the Leafs being "too important", that depends on how "bothered" people are. Many people are still bothered by the refs knifing us in the gut in 1993 and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't turn you into a bitter person in the rest of your life.

I agree.

Be a fan, have fun, reminisce, complain, do whatever.

I know far too many people who when the Leafs lose, it will ruin their lives for weeks, it is crazy to me.

Find a hobby.

That level of obsession can't be good.

Marner for nothing would be a win or us as we can do something useful with the cap space and let's be honest, Marner was pretty useless in these playoffs. As for him having a great playoffs somewhere else next year, who cares?

Depends on how the cap space is used.

I don't have faith in our GM to use it appropriately, and I see us turning into the Wild/Flames with his vision.

I don't want to get slower and tougher, I think skill wins still.

You need more than just skill, but we are struggling to score every year and the trend continues.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Matthews and Marner both suck in the playoffs. We have to pay Matthews 13M for what we just saw in the last two weeks. McDavid just put up 12 points in one series, we should be expecting at least a PPG from a 13M player.

It was Marner who sucked big time - again! Matthews won game 2 for the Leafs, then got injured, missed almost 2 and a half games...came back in game 7 to set up Nylander for the goal ahead goal. Marner has been a no show in the playoffs for a good 7 years.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It's probably more of a win/win trade for both teams regardless of how it turns out in the future.

1. Culture change and shock to the Leafs (biggest win here), while getting much needed good depth in the lineup.
2. Whoever gets Marner gets a elite regular season player and helps them make the playoffs.

If we get depth... like I said, the Tkachuk trade is still a likely scenario (maybe not the most likely, who knows).

Tre did trade a good young player who controlled where he went and struggled in the playoffs before and the return and subsequent signings turned out terribly for Tre.

This trade does make me nervous.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I might actually start cheering for the Oilers and Canucks to win it all. For once, I’d rather a Canadian team win that’s not the Leafs. Better than an American team

Thats how f***ing miserable being a fan of this dog shit franchise and its pathetic history is.
That's what I'm doing.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Boy Wonder is nothing more than a snake oil salesman with fancy graphs and pie charts to appear to know what he’s talking about, he’ll ruin what’s left of the Penguins in short order, then it’s back to the Soo……..

Got to love a sweetener, although their pizza sucks ass………

Dubas was the worse thing that could have happened for the Leafs coming out of having a young core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri and Rielly. He screwed up the Leafs big time...those first few years after he took over, the Leafs were as soft as a ballerina's skirt...it was painful to watch...along with those spin-o-rama plays in their own zone only to lose possession.

Reactions: JKG33

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This was my favourite team overall, liked the character and characters, the way they competed. Hurts even more.

I'm at a loss for words how it just can never go our way, no matter the group. It's the most uncanny thing in sport, we are the most tortured of any fan base.
Everyone’s been changed except 34, 16, 88, 91, 44, and fan’s wonder why the outcome never changes………

Reactions: JKG33 and Trapper

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Probably posted already but Jesus Christ. This team and core is incapable of rising to the occasion.

2019: Lose 5-1
2020: Lose 3-0
2021: Lose 3-1
2022: Lose 2-1
2024: Lose 2-1

Most unclutch group of players imaginable.

Come on man, it's clearly an improving team.

Lost by 4 goals, then three goals, then two goals, and twice by 1 goal.

Progress!

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dubas was the worse thing that could have happened for the Leafs coming out of having a young core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri and Rielly. He screwed up the Leafs big time...those first few years after he took over, the Leafs were as soft as a ballerina's skirt...it was painful to watch...along with those spin-o-rama plays in their own zone only to lose possession.

Do people still think we need more toughness to overcome the scoring issue?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
LOL Matthews had 4pts, Marner had 3. Both ineffective. You’re acting like Matthews scored 17 points in 5 games. Just a bunch of excuses for Tavares and Matthews. To me, neither of them get a pass. All three were complete dog shit. One isn’t more dog shit than the others. So all three should be chastised the next few months. Add Rielly in there too
Agree. That fact that Willie scored as many goals as AM, JT and MM while only playing 4 games is unacceptable.
Reilly just didn’t play well esp on the last goal but he did provided 3 pts.
They all need to be a lot better.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I’d keep keefe for next season, it’s a lost season anyway, let keefe be the tank commander and punt him into the sun when the season is over

I can live with this if they actually TANK next season. Which IMO they really should and retool properly. Gotta get rid of Tavares and Marner somehow. i don't care how its done but its gotta be done

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He seems like one of the happiest and most optimistic people here, I'm sure he will be fine.

There are a few people who I think the Leafs are far too important to them, and this will bother them for weeks or months, but I don't think he is one of them.
You don't get to my age without knowing what's important and what's not. This stuff falls squarely in the latter category. It's a harmless way to pass the time in between work, marathon training and chauffeuring my kids across the province (and sometimes the continent) for their various sports/activities/school/etc. It's partly why I don't get the concept of being negative about sports fandom. With the little free time I have, why would I willingly spend it being angry?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Did the snot help?

Domi is a skill guy before you mention him, I don't think anyone cares if the skill guys come with "snot", that is a great combo.

3 points in 7 for Marner, 2 in 7 for Tavares. The series was lost right there.

The Dubas depth holdovers up front didn't do diddily squat. Jarnkrok and Holmberg with 0 points in 7 games. More cleansing required.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Did the snot help?

No amount of support players is gunna make the core 4 losers suddenly care. I highly doubt even a coach can do that

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't have faith in our GM to use it appropriately, and I see us turning into the Wild/Flames with his vision.

You need more than just skill, but we are struggling to score every year and the trend continues.
There's a better chance of our GM doing something good with the cap space than there is of Marner being worth his cap hit for us in the playoffs, simple as that.

I think defence wins championships. We saw in games 5/6 what a winning formula looks like and Marner was useless. Use that 11 million to add a solid Dman or two, maybe a goalie and we're a much better playoff team. Matthews and Nylander are gamebreakers and two of those are enough if you play solid team D the way we did in those games.

We've spent our wad on skilled forwards and it's gotten us absolutely nothing in the playoffs. This shit's been going on for so long and time to try something different.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Do people still think we need more toughness to overcome the scoring issue?
If only our top guys can score like they supposed to.
We have 34mil spent on three forwards who scored ONE goal each.
Our leading scorer in the playoffs got three goals while only playing 4 games
Our rookie for 2 two goals
Three other forwards-Bert, Domi and Kampf combined for 3 goals with a combined cap hit of 10.6mil
I think the problem lies with our top guys.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I agree.

Be a fan, have fun, reminisce, complain, do whatever.

I know far too many people who when the Leafs lose, it will ruin their lives for weeks, it is crazy to me.

Find a hobby.

That level of obsession can't be good.

They are struggling to score because the guys who are supposed to score don’t. Time to finally change up the look at the top end.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Gross. Those shitty BP ads must be working.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vancouver win because Miller is the exact type of player who deserves a cup. But other Canadian teams in general can f*** right off

Reactions: Sypher04

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
3 points in 7 for Marner, 2 in 7 for Tavares. The series was lost right there.

The Dubas depth holdovers up front didn't do diddily squat. Jarnkrok and Holmberg with 0 points in 7 games. More cleansing required.

I am not disagreeing that they were bad.

But the guys that were brought in this year (minus Domi and Lub) were not good or the answer either.

I have no clue how "snot" is the answer for scoring issues, but we can double down next year if people want.

They are struggling to score because the guys who are supposed to score don’t. Time to finally change up the look at the top end.

We got no depth scoring either. I agree with you, but it isn't 100% on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad