McKenzie: Highly sought after Quinnipiac defender Chase Priskie will not sign w/ Caps; will become UFA Aug. 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

Bummer from a Caps POV.

Priskie is definitely their top RD prospect and he is one of their most pro-ready prospects on defense.

I imagine he will have at least 15 to 20-plus teams interested in him. He is a very dynamic offensive defenseman - just needs to get his defensive zone play cleaned up a bit.

Part of me thinks that the Caps made a mistake signing Milner - fifth goalie on the depth chart - to a professional deal and maxing out their pro contracts for this year. The Caps could have signed Priskie to a two-year ELC and let him burn a year of that contract right now, but, they had no contract space and could only offer a two-year ELC starting next season, with a tryout in the AHL for the rest of this year.

Obviously it's hard to already determine how a player will translate to the pros, but, some team is getting a higher-end prospects for free come August.

It's too bad because if the Caps move on from Niskanen eventually, they have a gigantic hole in their prospect pool when it comes to RD - unless they are comfortable with playing a couple of their LD prospects on their off-sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's from Florida. Could factor in to where he goes.

At different points in his career he has played with Toews (NYI) and Hirose (DET). Also could be a factor.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think # 1 thing he will be looking for is opportunity.

Canucks will definitely be pushing hard for him . They also scouted Quinnipiac tons this season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Since he's 23, he'd need to sign a 2 year ELC.

I think I equally look forward to / dread the eventual thread about his free agency in mid-August. Those threads get bloated with so many "LOL I can't believe people are posting about this guy I never heard of" posts. At that point in the offseason, there's really not much going on other than a handful of unsigned RFAs, so the August 15th NCAA free agents will get a bigger media spotlight than your garden variety NCAA free agent who signs as the the NHL season is still wrapping up.

Reactions: Morrison

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
Canucks will be all over him but ultimately its going to be opportunity and destination which only those close to him know where he would prefer at this point.

Reactions: CanuckCity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He’ll be in an elc. So really more about him getting an opportunity to show that he can play at the NHL level. If he doesn’t perform then any team will send him down.

That’s all any prospect in his situation can ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad