Value of: High end package from New Jersey

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Honestly, I think that GMs are starting to figure out than in todays post giant pads world the delta between a good goalie and “a guy” is bigger than it was in the past. I also think that fans make this erroneous connection between all the average goalies that have been moved in the past versus the top guys that just don’t ever get moved.
Goalies are more volatile than ever.

Last year's top 15 goalies in GSAx:
Sorokin, Saros, Ullmark, Helle, Shesty, Vasy, Gustafsson, Oetter, Samsonov, Swayman, Skinner, Georgiev, Montembault, Vitek, Kuemper

This year just 4 of those top 15 are back in the top 15.
Only 6 are even in the top 30.

5 of them are in the BOTTOM 15, including Vasy and Oettinger.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Goalies are more volatile than ever.

Last year's top 15 goalies in GSAx:
Sorokin, Saros, Ullmark, Helle, Shesty, Vasy, Gustafsson, Oetter, Samsonov, Swayman, Skinner, Georgiev, Montembault, Vitek, Kuemper

This year just 4 of those top 15 are back in the top 15.
Only 6 are even in the top 30.

5 of them are in the BOTTOM 15, including Vasy and Oettinger.

I think that line of argument assumes GSAx has a lot of value. Without accounting for screens and horitzonal movement and defender positioning, as large factors as shot distance, type and velocity, it’s a really dubious stat.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Three way?
Avs - ulnark Colorado gets the goalie we need

Devils - Georgiev and Josh Manso - devils get a physical RD and a 1A/1B Goalie

Bruins - NJ 2nd, Colorado first, Oskar O Boston gets first rounder a second rounder and a former 1rd winger

HOW FAR AM I OFF?
devils would add nearly 8m in cap hit. they already have hamilton, marino and nemec as rhd. unless dougie stays on the ltir the manson contract is a deal breaker.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think that line of argument assumes GSAx has a lot of value. Without accounting for screens and horitzonal movement and defender positioning, as large factors as shot distance, type and velocity, it’s a really dubious stat.
You could do the same with sv% or virtually any goalie metric you like. Goalies are incredibly volatile.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
I'd be surprised if Ullmark gets 10th overall goalies don't get top 10 picks.
Corey Schneider says hello.

If Devils win 1OA they have to use the pick because they will have won the lottery twice in three years and won’t be able eligible to do so again for the next two years.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If Devils win 1OA they have to use the pick because they will have won the lottery twice in three years and won’t be able eligible to do so again for the next two years.

I still don't see Ullmark getting a top 10 pick, Corey
Schneider was over a decade ago

I think a much closer example would probably be what Freddy Andersen got which was a 1st and a future 2nd.

Even that is a distant example now but it's still probably more accurate than a #9 overall pick

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

The new draft lottery rule applies from 2022 going forward. The two devils lottery wins don’t count.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah. I don't really see him making huge revisions to the defence either.

So that's something that you probably have to figure out to get Marino going again.
Trade Bahl in a pkg for Petey.
I honestly think Hanifin would be a great add too.
Get a 4th line of FAs who grind (Fogele, Trenin, Lafferty, Duhaime) and you don't need a Gudas type on the blueline.
Hanifin- Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec
Petey/Siegenthaler-Marino

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You could do the same with sv% or virtually any goalie metric you like. Goalies are incredibly volatile.

Ullmark is 1st in the NHL in save % over the last 5 years (min 100 games). 915, 917, 917, 938, 914. Two of those seasons were for the Sabres.

Only 5 of the top 13 goal scorers repeated in back to back seasons (there were 6 guys tied with 40 goals so cut it off at top 13). Incredibly volatile.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
She's been dead since 2013 so not all that much most likely.
drumroll-pirate.gif

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ullmark is 1st in the NHL in save % over the last 5 years (min 100 games). 915, 917, 917, 938, 914. Two of those seasons were for the Sabres.

Only 5 of the top 13 goal scorers repeated in back to back seasons (there were 6 guys tied with 40 goals so cut it off at top 13). Incredibly volatile.
There are 30+ starting goalies and 300+ regular forwards.

Of the top 15 goalies from last year. More of them are bottom 15 goalies this year than top 15 goalies again.

Arguably 2 of the top 3 goalies from last year are Saros and Sorokin. They have both been average/below average goalies this year. You don't see that at other positions

How many top line forwards do you see randomly turn into bottom 6 guys out of nowhere in their mid 20s?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00