Post-Game Talk: Hide the kids! (Islanders 4 Jets 0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yeah that start was disappointing to put it mildly. Honestly when your top 3 centers are all playing like ass it makes it incredibly hard for everyone else.

All three need to pull their heads from their asses. There is only so much play driving JoMo can do from the backend.

Shit I can’t remember the last time Lowry was even a factor physically in any way this year. If he’s not factoring into the game scoring wise he needs to make an impact physically somehow. I’m starting to wonder about that because Dubois had no issue fight tonight. Where’s Lowry at????

EDIT: My mistake. He made some great blocks without his stick several games ago, maybe longer. I can’t remember. I f***ing loved that shit. That was before our road trip. Hasn’t done shit in recent weeks otherwise though and I couldn’t be more disappointed. Only Scheif disappoints me more lately. But I have a feeling Lowry takes a little more pride.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Shit I can’t remember the last time Lowry was even a factor physically in any way this year. If he’s not factoring into the game scoring wise he needs to make an impact physically somehow. I’m starting to wonder about that because Dubois had no issue fight tonight. Where’s Lowry at????
out bottom six is just there, their entire game plan seems to be to go out there and make sure nothing happens for the 25 minutes they are on the ice

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, he`s done a lot of good things as coach - but I also wanted to see what he would do in the offensive zone. I must say that I`ve been disappointed in this regard - for there`s no sign of any structured approach to generating scoring chances. It still looks to me that they are all literally ad-libbing things, relying upon their ability to read/react but with no strategy . Bones explanations that we simply need to get more shots on net leave me wanting ,quite frankly.And his plan to cycle low to high and generate shots from the D is weak stuff. Would luv to see evidence of practiced set ups for gaining access to the zone as well as for creating lanes of attack to the net.

That was my big concern with him. He didn't have a track record as a modern offensive systems guy. His teams in Dallas also had trouble generating offense so no surprise we do as well. I think we have players who can excel in a modern offensive scheme but we haven't coached that in years now.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
out bottom six is just there, their entire game plan seems to be to go out there and make sure nothing happens for the 25 minutes they are on the ice

Only Stenlund inspires me right now. Guy was in the AHL and looks like he may be a decent 4th line center. Would be nice if we could force Lowry down there because he’d be an above average 4th line center.

Reactions: roccerfeller

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No one was good. Rittich should've stopped all 3 but I can't blame the goaltending behind that performance. Even the icemaker was bad, the puck was bouncing around and guys were falling all over the place.

I don't think the team is this bad - this is historically bad shooting percentage leading into some major confidence issues. Everyone seems to be wanting to do it themselves, which is the concern.

Great moment that encapsulated the game for me - TSN had Josh Morrissey on in the 1st intermission interview, who was obviously very displeased with the performance, but instead of the usual questions from John Lu he had to answer "What do you do on your free time?" from the junior reporter for the day. Incredibly awkward.

Reactions: Stumbledore

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

EDIT: My mistake. He made some great blocks without his stick several games ago, maybe longer. I can’t remember. I f***ing loved that shit. That was before our road trip. Hasn’t done shit in recent weeks otherwise though and I couldn’t be more disappointed. Only Scheif disappoints me more lately. But I have a feeling Lowry takes a little more pride.
I think Big Adam is injured. The two players who look the most injured to me right now are him and De Melo. Schmidtty too his stride seems a bit slower, I'd be surprised if he isn't banged up.

I think he's given up 3 ES goals on the ice in the past 12 games, one of them was at the tail end of the PK where Pionk didn't exactly play it well against Columbus. The other was Wheeler being too slow to cover the front of the net. I kept saying all year that Wheels is too slow to play with Lowry, and he proved it at least that game.

3 goals against vs. 1 for in 12 games. (edit it's actually 2 if you count the EN Wheeler potted against the Hawks). And that's playing with Karson Kuhlman for the most part, who drove Scheifele into brief slump too.

When you compare those numbers vs. the guys who are getting scored on regularly (cough Dubois, cough Connor) I don't think Adam Lowry is dragging this team down.

I mean Minnesota has passed us on the standings. They can't buy a bottom six goal. But you know what's working for them. Their stars are outplaying other stars. Kaprizov is winning games for them. When are our stars going to win games for this team instead of lose them? Because that's the issue at hand.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I want to be positive but man these guys are making it hard to do. Scheifele , Connor , Ehlers and Dubois are all not playing well and all at the same time it's so frustrating to watch. Let's stick handle the puck all the way into the other team's corner and then blindly fire a pass to absolutely no one, Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers and Connor all did this yesterday. Our bottom 6 can't score we all know that but yesterday you honestly couldn't tell the difference between our bottom 6 and top 6.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

“I couldn’t be more disappointed … only Scheif disappoints me more.”

Which is it? You couldn’t be more disappointed or Scheif disappoints you more? :naughty:;)

*Please don’t kill me, that just made me chuckle

Reactions: Duke749

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This needs to be posted above the door to the Jets dressing room....

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."

Yep -- that stuck out to me also.

Maybe we need to get those words emblazoned onto the dressing room door.

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."

And then maybe sent out as texts, DMs, onto team socials, voicemail, etc.

And of course blasted across the Jumbo during all practices, etc.

Keychains, license plates, takeout bags...

Work, you Jerts dagnabbit!!! You're not as firkin good as you think you are!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
most teams contending teams have the option of bumping up a 3rd line for a game or two when there offence hits a snag, our options are currently saku/ajf/barron/appleton/kuhlman... don't think any of those guys are going to help jumpstart anything
Maybe you can get by with one of those guys on the 4th. But the Jets desperately need 2 or 3 more forwards.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Oh and thumbs up to the kids playing the organ at the game and the young girl that sang the anthem, all the best things about yesterday's game. :nod:
don’t forget the next gen amateurs on ice. Sawyer said it was a great effort

Reactions: Jets 31

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That was my big concern with him. He didn't have a track record as a modern offensive systems guy. His teams in Dallas also had trouble generating offense so no surprise we do as well. I think we have players who can excel in a modern offensive scheme but we haven't coached that in years now.

Agree, but look at the coaches the org pushed the boat out for (supposedly) during the offseason -- Arniel a lock from the go, and clearly the heir apparent. Trotz, understandably, despite coaching primarily a D game, Tocchet, can't recall if they were ever really in on Monty.

Does the org want or expect a modern offensive scheme? Or are they still wanting to be "hard to play against" -- spoiler: they ain't -- in some throwback version of the 2017-18 team that was indeed hard to play against, but could also do everything else at an elite level, including scoring.

The only thing about the Jets atm that makes them hard to play against is Helle when he's on his game. Gone are the Pack of Wolves-lite we saw at times earlier this year, gone are the waves of forecheckers (small waves, but still), gone is the more mobile scoring D and the shoot-first forwards. Gone is the 5-man unit-ish play many have been calling for for years now, and once again the Moose are having to show the big fellas how it's done.

IDK. I get that they're "gripping their sticks too tight," but these are top-level pros, ffs, right down to the Kuhl Man. How can they be pushed so easily out of the winning formula that saw them approaching a top 7/8 team in the league?

It's in the head. It must be. Otherwise makes no sense.

Sort it out, Bonesy.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
We got 20+ games to go. Calgary is 5 points behind us for the last Wild card spot and we are in sight of top 3 in Central still

But

They have to to turn it around and get back to what we were doing when we were winning. The big problem is we can't score. Whether its from lack of effort some nights or a lot of effort and no reward it just isn't going in.

You are only as good as your top players and right now we are wasting a Vezina and Norris candidate year because our top forwards are shitting the bed. Blame the bottom 6 sure but Scheif/PLD/Ehlers/Connor/Wheeler need to drive this team from the top

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree, but look at the coaches the org pushed the boat out for (supposedly) during the offseason -- Arniel a lock from the go, and clearly the heir apparent. Trotz, understandably, despite coaching primarily a D game, Tocchet, can't recall if they were ever really in on Monty.

Does the org want or expect a modern offensive scheme? Or are they still wanting to be "hard to play against" -- spoiler: they ain't -- in some throwback version of the 2017-18 team that was indeed hard to play against, but could also do everything else at an elite level, including scoring.

The only thing about the Jets atm that makes them hard to play against is Helle when he's on his game. Gone are the Pack of Wolves-lite we saw at times earlier this year, gone are the waves of forecheckers (small waves, but still), gone is the more mobile scoring D and the shoot-first forwards. Gone is the 5-man unit-ish play many have been calling for for years now, and once again the Moose are having to show the big fellas how it's done.

IDK. I get that they're "gripping their sticks too tight," but these are top-level pros, ffs, right down to the Kuhl Man. How can they be pushed so easily out of the winning formula that saw them approaching a top 7/8 team in the league?

Sort it out, Bonesy.

Good point, maybe the org as a whole is too locked into the 14-15 pack of Wolves type of scheme and are bringing in coaches that will adhere to that.

Honestly Arniel has been excellent so no concern with him as the PK has improved 10 fold and our dcore has performed better (both his responsibilities).

What they need is a real offensive guy to work on our offensive systems.

Our offensive schemes in 17-18 were actually well thought out and we generated the most of any team off the cycle. The issue imo is we are now more of a rush team as Wheeler, Little, and Scheifele are now either gone or not nearly as effective in that capacity. We haven't transitioned from that retrieval and cycle scheme despite not having the same type of players.

With our players they have stunk 3 of the last 4 games. But prior to that they were playing good hockey (not great but good) and not getting any puck luck and we dropped a number of winnable games. Now they are a fragile group with no confidence. They have to work their way out of this and regain some confidence.

Reactions: JetsUK

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Sort it out, Bonesy.
You`ve said it pretty much all here. But dare I say that there is a possible, much darker explanation for why all these things have changed or disappeared as the season progressed. Is it possible that Bones has himself progressively taken them out by design in a misguided attempt to get an ever more low event , low risk, defensively oriented team that he sees as necessary to compete? A case can be made that he has gone too far and has acheived the results defensively only at the sacrifice of offence..... .

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad