Post-Game Talk: Hide the kids! (Islanders 4 Jets 0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What the heck does THAT mean? Is that a "there are better options on the Moose, but my hands are tied" kind of answer?

Yeah I have no idea. I mean Toninato and Harkins likely could come up over Kulman. Are we really worried about losing him on waivers.

On defense maybe they want to give Ville a look with how he is playing but don't want to lose defensive depth.

It really doesn't make much sense to me as we.coukd easily pull up our depth on the Moose and waive some of our bad depth here.

Reactions: kellhunter and None

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Yeah I have no idea. I mean Toninato and Harkins likely could come up over Kulman. Are we really worried about losing him on waivers.

On defense maybe they want to give Ville a look with how he is playing but don't want to lose defensive depth.

It really doesn't make much sense to me as we.coukd easily pull up our depth on the Moose and waive some of our bad depth here.
Why does our media never push back on those types on answers?

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Holy crap what an exaggeration of next level proportions. Around 20 games ago was the beginning of January where we started the year 7-1. That’s playing like shit to you? :laugh: :biglaugh: :laugh:

Jan 6 - Jets 4, TBL 2 - TBL goalie with an .842 sv% Jets outshot 28-20
Could be doing a good job of only taking good shots. Or could be winning by running into weak opposition goaltending. Coin toss.

Jan8 - Jets 7, Van 4 - Nucks goalies with .786 and .692 sv% Jets outshot 38-27
Could be doing a good job of only taking good shots. Or could be winning by running into weak opposition goaltending. No doubt this time. It was weak opposition goaltending.

The Van game was their 5th win in a row. From there on they won a few lost more but almost always looked bad either way. They lost to several really bad teams and a few coming young teams that still have a way to go. They won both sides of a b2b and looked pretty good. But then back to crap.

During that span they began having the old problems of getting hemmed into their own end for long stretches and giving up too many turnovers/making bad pass attempts. I'm told that their underlying numbers have been good but I haven't been able to see it. They are 9W - 11 L in the last 20 games.

What would you call that?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the last 6 games, the Jets have scored only "1 goal" and are 1 win, 5 losses, according to the CJOB postgame show. The Jets have a lot of scoring talent, and they will turn this around. Maybe this very bad stretch will turn them around -- we'll see.

Last 3 games, Jets have scored 2 ppg, 0 even strength goals. 4th game back was a 4-1 win over the NYR where Helle made 50 saves. Jets scored their 4 on 21 shots.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Obviously hindsight - but looking at it now, it is clear that they should have cleaned house last off-season. Gotten into the Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Benson/Smith sweepstakes and accumulated '23 picks.

There is something wrong with this crew that is resisting being fixed.
I dunno about hindsight...there were lots of folks disappointed that the Jets only real move was bringing in Bowness and a new coaching staff. IIRC someone here was demanding those critics choke down some crow when things were going well. How the turntables... :sarcasm:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Could be doing a good job of only taking good shots. Or could be winning by running into weak opposition goaltending. Coin toss.

Could be doing a good job of only taking good shots. Or could be winning by running into weak opposition goaltending. No doubt this time. It was weak opposition goaltending.

The Van game was their 5th win in a row. From there on they won a few lost more but almost always looked bad either way. They lost to several really bad teams and a few coming young teams that still have a way to go. They won both sides of a b2b and looked pretty good. But then back to crap.

During that span they began having the old problems of getting hemmed into their own end for long stretches and giving up too many turnovers/making bad pass attempts. I'm told that their underlying numbers have been good but I haven't been able to see it. They are 9W - 11 L in the last 20 games.

Last night - Jets lose, shots 24-23 NYI, Jets goalie has a .870 sv%. Isles could be doing a good job of only taking good shots. Could be bad goaltending.

Wednesday - Jets lose 2-1, outshoot NYI 26-22. Underlying stats say the Jets were the better team. Maybe the Isles were doing a good job at taking only good shots.

Thurs 16th - Jets lose 3-1, outshoot Columbus 38-24. Maybe Columbus did a better job at taking only good shots.

I'm reluctant to trust your eye test given you called the 2nd period against Buffalo as "the worst period by any team this season in any game", but maybe your eye test is just influenced by the end result and not what's actually happening on the ice?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

So waive our depth here for players who've already proven they can't get it done?

It's like shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So waive our depth here for players who've already proven they can't get it done?

It's like shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic

Oh I agree which is why I thought Bones quote didn't make much sense. Really only Heinola offers any kind of upgrade if he can figure out how to translate his game from the AHL.

Reactions: Jet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

FWIW I completely agree. I don't think we've really looked very good since before Xmas.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Where's Appleton? That's the big change on defense? Sit Samberg? For Capobianco? Morrissey-De Melo have been getting owned during this losing streak.
I literally just saw Mason about 30 minutes ago - getting a coffee at the timmies under the Richardson building…..so he is around for sure!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We got 20+ games to go. Calgary is 5 points behind us for the last Wild card spot and we are in sight of top 3 in Central still

But

They have to to turn it around and get back to what we were doing when we were winning. The big problem is we can't score. Whether its from lack of effort some nights or a lot of effort and no reward it just isn't going in.

You are only as good as your top players and right now we are wasting a Vezina and Norris candidate year because our top forwards are shitting the bed. Blame the bottom 6 sure but Scheif/PLD/Ehlers/Connor/Wheeler need to drive this team from the top
Amen.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Bro, you can attempt to manipulate however you see fit; But your interpretation and recollection on our play at the beginning of January to the past road trip and this home stand are completely off base and inaccurate. Of course we’ve been trending downward for sometime. We can all see that. But even without context, 7-1 and still 7-1 and 1-5 is still 1-5.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

I myself would call it cherry picking. :)

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Great moment that encapsulated the game for me - TSN had Josh Morrissey on in the 1st intermission interview, who was obviously very displeased with the performance, but instead of the usual questions from John Lu he had to answer "What do you do on your free time?" from the junior reporter for the day. Incredibly awkward.
Poor kids doing the PA Announcement couldn't even call or celebrate a Jets goal :(

Winnipeg Jets hate kids. Confirmed.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Last night - Jets lose, shots 24-23 NYI, Jets goalie has a .870 sv%. Isles could be doing a good job of only taking good shots. Could be bad goaltending.

Wednesday - Jets lose 2-1, outshoot NYI 26-22. Underlying stats say the Jets were the better team. Maybe the Isles were doing a good job at taking only good shots.

Thurs 16th - Jets lose 3-1, outshoot Columbus 38-24. Maybe Columbus did a better job at taking only good shots.

I'm reluctant to trust your eye test given you called the 2nd period against Buffalo as "the worst period by any team this season in any game", but maybe your eye test is just influenced by the end result and not what's actually happening on the ice?

I said that period was the worst I had ever seen - and it was. I don't know about other teams in games I didn't see. Did you think it was good? Or even just not terrible? They were hemmed in the DZ for almost the entire period. Come on!

Look at score effects in some of those games. Jets had 1 SOG in the 1st period. 1 Not sure but I think Isles got their 2nd goal before Jets got their 2nd SOG. Jets came on after that. Finally started to play, but Islanders were protecting their lead.

In those 3 games you list, Jets score 2 goals, both on the PP. The last 3 games they have scored just 2 goals, again both on the PP.

I'm NOT watching just the end result. If I was I would have been ecstatic with the Jets 4-1 win over NYR. Shot counts are not the be all and end all of measures of a game, but when a team is outshot 51-21 they were outplayed by a wide margin. If they won it was on goaltending differential alone.

I don't know what underlying statistics you are taking comfort in but they are 9-11 in the last 20. That is pretty bad. Worse is that they were not very good in many of the 9 wins either.

If you can't see with your own eyes that they have been bad for these 20 games I don't know what to say to you.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bro, you can attempt to manipulate however you see fit; But your interpretation and recollection on our play at the beginning of January to the past road trip and this home stand are completely off base and inaccurate. Of course we’ve been trending downward for sometime. We can all see that. But even without context, 7-1 and still 7-1 and 1-5 is still 1-5.

OK - and 9-11 is still 9-11, no manipulation required.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I myself would call it cherry picking. :)

Don't know how you can call it cherry picking when I pick the game where I think it started and then include every game from then till now. Starting Jan 8th it is 21 games now. That Jan 8 game was a fun win with Jets scoring 7 times. It was the 3rd straight win from the Xmas break. Jets were badly outshot in all 3 so maybe I could start the count from the Jan 3 game. That would make it 23 games. But it was 3 wins making a 5 game winning streak since before Xmas. So I will leave out all 3 just to avoid the argument. That leaves 20 games till now of very bad play and a 9-11 record. Not cherry picking at all.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I guess all shots are now equal
when we win but get out shot we are just lucky
when we lose but out shoot the opponent it's score effects

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't know how you can call it cherry picking when I pick the game where I think it started and then include every game from then till now. Starting Jan 8th it is 21 games now. That Jan 8 game was a fun win with Jets scoring 7 times. It was the 3rd straight win from the Xmas break. Jets were badly outshot in all 3 so maybe I could start the count from the Jan 3 game. That would make it 23 games. But it was 3 wins making a 5 game winning streak since before Xmas. So I will leave out all 3 just to avoid the argument. That leaves 20 games till now of very bad play and a 9-11 record. Not cherry picking at all.

The data doesn't support the Jets being outshot and outplayed heavily since Jan 8. The data says the opposite actually.

Reactions: gojetsgo

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I said that period was the worst I had ever seen - and it was. I don't know about other teams in games I didn't see. Did you think it was good? Or even just not terrible? They were hemmed in the DZ for almost the entire period. Come on!

Look at score effects in some of those games. Jets had 1 SOG in the 1st period. 1 Not sure but I think Isles got their 2nd goal before Jets got their 2nd SOG. Jets came on after that. Finally started to play, but Islanders were protecting their lead.

In those 3 games you list, Jets score 2 goals, both on the PP. The last 3 games they have scored just 2 goals, again both on the PP.

I'm NOT watching just the end result. If I was I would have been ecstatic with the Jets 4-1 win over NYR. Shot counts are not the be all and end all of measures of a game, but when a team is outshot 51-21 they were outplayed by a wide margin. If they won it was on goaltending differential alone.

I don't know what underlying statistics you are taking comfort in but they are 9-11 in the last 20. That is pretty bad. Worse is that they were not very good in many of the 9 wins either.

If you can't see with your own eyes that they have been bad for these 20 games I don't know what to say to you.

My point is that the Jets have been playing well enough to be better than 9-11 in the past 20 but their finishing has been pretty poor, around 4%. That's unsustainably low for this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad