Player Discussion: Hickey

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
We need to do better than Hickey. He's been a good soldier, I wish him luck elsewhere next year.

Exactly right!! The Islanders need to move on from Hickey especially if the cost to re-sign him is 3 million dollars per year for a 3-4 years! He was a good waiver wire pickup and played hard for the Isles but does not fit on a 3rd pairing for the amount of money that he will want to be paid.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Its funny because every season i find myself complaining about this guy.... until now. We don't have any better options than thomas f***ing hickey. Davidson was absolutely tragic in his debut :(

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can't wait until we can finally walk away from Hickey. I know I'm hard on him, I do appreciate everything he's done for us. He's been here for some big moments and he's been a good Isle. He has been used quite a bit as a top-4 defender over the years, not necessarily his fault since the coaches have consistently deployed him that way.

As I said earlier, we need to do better than Hickey.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Sure, poor guy was tied to Pelech all game. Nobody looks good playing next to that guy.

Pelech is the most polarizing player IMO, fans either trash him or feel he has top-4 potential. I don't think he is horrible, certainly has a lot to learn but in terms of defense, I think he is the best out of Pulock and Mayfield by a decent margin.

Hickey has been a good Islander but we need to move on IMO. For some reason it is rarely mentioned that our top pairing is not a product of our system, even Hickey was a Kings draft pick. Hamonic is the absolute best homegrown D we have had in 15 years, that is alarming.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
You don't like Pelech much LOL... Pelech is solid to me... Davidson would be Mayfieldian next to Lidstrom in his prime
You noticed lol

Eh I was a fan of his back in October. Since then...not so much.

But honestly, who has Pelech looked good with besides DeHaan? (Dehaan makes everyone look good....even Seidenberg).

The geek stats say Pelech stinks and my eyes tell me the same thing. Yea he's ok at breaking up the odd play because of his reach...but other than that, there isn't much there to like.

Guy can't escape a forecheck and gets buried in his own end way too much.

I'm done with Pelech. We need to trade him now while we (hopefully) still can.

Hickey >>> Pelech

Last edited:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Hickey is 4th in TOI and has the best +/- on the team. You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
You noticed lol

Eh I was a fan of his back in October. Since then...not so much.

But honestly, who has Pelech looked good with besides DeHaan? (Dehaan makes everyone look good....even Seidenberg).

The geek stats say Pelech stinks and my eyes tell me the same thing. Yea he's ok at breaking up the odd play because of his reach...but other than that, there isn't much there to like.

Guy can't escape a forecheck and gets buried in his own end way too much.

I'm done with Pelech. We need to trade him now while we (hopefully) still can.

Hickey >>> Pelech

My eyes see a guy with a solid slap shot, who recovers from his mistakes quickly, quick for his size, and gets better with each game... he needs to sell penalties better, he is strong so he can get assaulted and not fall to the ice... CDH is not that good, he is an average dman... Pelech would look good with a guy like Demers

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Hickey is a fine 3rd pairing defenseman. It's not his fault he's better than Pelech, Mayfield, Davidson, etc

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
My eyes see a guy with a solid slap shot, who recovers from his mistakes quickly, quick for his size, and gets better with each game... he needs to sell penalties better, he is strong so he can get assaulted and not fall to the ice... CDH is not that good, he is an average dman... Pelech would look good with a guy like Demers
CdH is so overrated on here. Assuming we don’t move Pelech/Mayfield or acquire a top pairing D, next year we should be looking at Leddy-Chuk, (Hjalmarsson etc.)-Pulock, Pelech-Mayfield.

Reactions: majormet and Konk

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
CdH is so overrated on here. Assuming we don’t move Pelech/Mayfield or acquire a top pairing D, next year we should be looking at Leddy-Chuk, (Hjalmarsson etc.)-Pulock, Pelech-Mayfield.

No. This team has made it abundantly clear that they view Pelech as the CDH replacement. The D will be:
Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Davidson/Toews - Mayfield
Toews/Davidson

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
If Hickey starts hanging out with Nelson more, can we call him sticky icky Hickey?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

The CDH absentia is very reminiscent of when AndyMac went down one year with 25 games left and we were in the last playoff spot and spiraled down under Scott Gordon. Because the team has been much worse since CDH is out, he can be singled out now for greatness, but in reality CDH was on the ice for a lot of the blowouts this and last year.

I don't see us getting a top quality dman, it seems Snow likes his unit now, and now Davidson crowds it up more, we have to hope Toews is the 2nd coming of Lidstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad